Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

Yes, you are right. But as everyone knows how much time all this will cost, I'm searching by now to find something useful. As you may know, I've planned to change the heads from the beginning, but it's always a decision with the costs in sight. (This is maybe German-English...:nabble_smiley_happy:)

I will locate where the oil has went, first. But as I also will change the intake mainfold, I need to know which one I need fitting to the heads. So that's the reason, why I'm searching so early for these heads.

you have gone to great lengths with this engine already by doing a stroker kit. I'm sure your vacuum signal is very strong and possibly 21" or more. and then you re installed the original heads? if so that seems to be a strong possibility of an oil consuming issue. however, if it is then it's mostly the oil seals. this can be addressed in the vehicle. by removing the upper intake and valve covers only. if the engine is running properly other than a little oil use that is the way I would suggest.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have gone to great lengths with this engine already by doing a stroker kit. I'm sure your vacuum signal is very strong and possibly 21" or more. and then you re installed the original heads? if so that seems to be a strong possibility of an oil consuming issue. however, if it is then it's mostly the oil seals. this can be addressed in the vehicle. by removing the upper intake and valve covers only. if the engine is running properly other than a little oil use that is the way I would suggest.

You're right, I've stroked the engine and used the original heads. But I've let plan the block and also the heads. I've replaced the original valve shaft seals with ones in this style:

RockAuto

I hope, you've talked about the valve shaft seals...:nabble_anim_confused:

We will see, what result the test will bring...

I still think better heads will be a consequence, when changing to the EEC-V, E4OD and a Holley HI-RAM-Intake...maybe also the exhaust ports are better constructed like the ones on my 302 factory heads...

I know, that I also may need new exhaust mainfolds...

My aim is to get this car to a perfect dayli driver and also for driving into holidays. So as I get not more than about 1,000 miles per year, I'm hoping to construct a very, very, very durable vehicle, which I can drive for some decades without to have to dive again such deep inside the engine, as I have done by now. :nabble_smiley_happy:

A bit more power and efficiency is something very welcome aside.

You're right, I've stroked the engine and used the original heads. But I've let plan the block and also the heads. I've replaced the original valve shaft seals with ones in this style:

RockAuto

I hope, you've talked about the valve shaft seals...:nabble_anim_confused:

We will see, what result the test will bring...

I still think better heads will be a consequence, when changing to the EEC-V, E4OD and a Holley HI-RAM-Intake...maybe also the exhaust ports are better constructed like the ones on my 302 factory heads...

I know, that I also may need new exhaust mainfolds...

My aim is to get this car to a perfect dayli driver and also for driving into holidays. So as I get not more than about 1,000 miles per year, I'm hoping to construct a very, very, very durable vehicle, which I can drive for some decades without to have to dive again such deep inside the engine, as I have done by now. :nabble_smiley_happy:

A bit more power and efficiency is something very welcome aside.

if you used the factory heads then I'm thinking they are the e5 casting. these are good heads and they were used on the 351w also. NOT high flow or high comp heads. just good general use for trucks from that era where hp was practically nonexistent. it was not the focus at the time as emissions was.

I like those valve seals with one caveat. there are basically two different sizes. and if by chance the larger seals get installed on the smaller guide bosses it likely they will slip off the boss and ride the valve stem much like the old "umbrella" type seals. in that case they become much less of a seal and only a deterrent.