Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

So, I have a little problem now, as we're still in holidays and having all our baggage in the trunk...

I'm unable to sink the tailgate window...if I have the headlights on, I see that there is current applied, when trying to move the window down, but the window doesn't move.

So it seems not to be a problem of a limiter switch...

Does anyone have a hint for me?

It could be trying to move the window motor and its bad and that's why you're seeing a current draw.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be trying to move the window motor and its bad and that's why you're seeing a current draw.

Yes, that was my first though...I don't hope so, cause we have to get out all the baggage over the rear bench. And it's also very loud on the highway, if you can't open the tailgate window...

I have all tools with me, including a multimeter...

I'm guessing that it is a ground problem because in my experience things like "this happens when I do that" are grounding problems. And usually I've found that one device is using the other as a ground until you turn the 2nd one on and then it is no longer a ground.

The page below shows the ground for the rear window's motor to be G701 and in the EVTM the page after that shows G701 to be the one on the firewall basically behind the radio. I would check that ground and the one on the other side of the firewall where there is supposed to be a ground wire from the engine to the firewall near the windshield wiper motor.

I'll try that later, the car is currently in an underground car park, so I can work on it relatively good.

I haven't connected the driver's tailgate switch, cause it was bad in my unit...but I can reconnect it to check, if this helps.

Maybe also one of the connectors is bad or has a too high resistance...

The thing, that make me pensive, is that everything was good when we started. Then, I think three days ago, I've parked the car in the blazing sun and we went to the beach. When we're back some hours later, the window won't move, but i can hear my relays click, when turning the key in the tailgate or using my remote...

While driving back to our friends, I tried to lower the window without success...some miles later it suddenly works again...so I haven't checked anything...

I'll try that later, the car is currently in an underground car park, so I can work on it relatively good.

I haven't connected the driver's tailgate switch, cause it was bad in my unit...but I can reconnect it to check, if this helps.

Maybe also one of the connectors is bad or has a too high resistance...

The thing, that make me pensive, is that everything was good when we started. Then, I think three days ago, I've parked the car in the blazing sun and we went to the beach. When we're back some hours later, the window won't move, but i can hear my relays click, when turning the key in the tailgate or using my remote...

While driving back to our friends, I tried to lower the window without success...some miles later it suddenly works again...so I haven't checked anything...

I've searched the ground inside the engine bay...but I'm not sure where it should be near the wiper motor.

But I'm relatively sure, that ground connection is given...the light won't get darker, unless there is much current flowing...so as this is the fact, there seems something wrong with the motor...I think I have to remove the panel of the tailgate and try to help the motor going down...maybe it stucks? Is this possible?

Is there another way to get the window down?

I've searched the ground inside the engine bay...but I'm not sure where it should be near the wiper motor.

But I'm relatively sure, that ground connection is given...the light won't get darker, unless there is much current flowing...so as this is the fact, there seems something wrong with the motor...I think I have to remove the panel of the tailgate and try to help the motor going down...maybe it stucks? Is this possible?

It sounds like a poor connection that changes with differing conditions. I'd be pulling connections apart to check or clean them.

But I don't know how else to get the window down.

Can you try pushing in on the left side of the tailgate?

Sometimes that latch can be sort of open and prevent closing the switch which cuts power to the motor… you may need 1 person to push on that side and the other to operate the switch

The way to get the window down is by removing the inner panel and finding the harness from the motor…. Apply 12v and ground to the 2 pin harness… if it goes up, reverse the polarity, that should make it come down … usually those motors are very sturdy.

If you hear it spinning but no movement then the inner plastic gears are bad and you will need to change them or change the motor

Can you try pushing in on the left side of the tailgate?

Sometimes that latch can be sort of open and prevent closing the switch which cuts power to the motor… you may need 1 person to push on that side and the other to operate the switch

The way to get the window down is by removing the inner panel and finding the harness from the motor…. Apply 12v and ground to the 2 pin harness… if it goes up, reverse the polarity, that should make it come down … usually those motors are very sturdy.

If you hear it spinning but no movement then the inner plastic gears are bad and you will need to change them or change the motor

there is this thing that happens to fuel pumps as they are getting old/weak. they need help starting. bang on the fuel tank with fist or rubber mallet and try again and often the shock rattles the motor enough to start.

the window motors are basically no different and that may explain it starting to work again on the way back. you hit a couple bumps! I'm one who will pull a motor apart and regrease the end bearings, polish the contacts and inspect the brushes. look for loose magnets also. but that's only after all else is proven to the motor.

there is this thing that happens to fuel pumps as they are getting old/weak. they need help starting. bang on the fuel tank with fist or rubber mallet and try again and often the shock rattles the motor enough to start.

the window motors are basically no different and that may explain it starting to work again on the way back. you hit a couple bumps! I'm one who will pull a motor apart and regrease the end bearings, polish the contacts and inspect the brushes. look for loose magnets also. but that's only after all else is proven to the motor.

If it works after hitting a bump, then the switch on the left latch is probably not in full contact... so definitely try pushing on that left tailgate side and try to bring down the window...

That motor is pretty robust in my experience... usually the plastic gears are the first things to go... but you will still hear it spin though if thats the case..

This image below shows the plastic gears getting chewed up

https://images.app.goo.gl/PHs7taReqAvcSVzY8

Good to know Matt, my rear fuel tank's pump is old as can be.. The gauge doesn't work anymore. I will add a rubber mallet to the tool box now :nabble_smiley_whistling:

If it works after hitting a bump, then the switch on the left latch is probably not in full contact... so definitely try pushing on that left tailgate side and try to bring down the window...

That motor is pretty robust in my experience... usually the plastic gears are the first things to go... but you will still hear it spin though if thats the case..

This image below shows the plastic gears getting chewed up

https://images.app.goo.gl/PHs7taReqAvcSVzY8

Ok, I will try this again, cause this was also my first idea. But in my opinion, it speaks against it, that I always could close the window, but not open it anymore...

The motor and the gears haven't made any suspicious sounds before...