Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

I wouldn't use the degas bottle with the breather.

The whole point of PCV is to draw a very slight vacuum on the crankcase, and pull oil vapor from the far side valve cover and crankcase Into the engine.

very true. the breather option defeats the positive circulation

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very true. the breather option defeats the positive circulation

Once he goes to an EEC-V and MAF that will change. The MAF systems have the closure hose running to the hose from the MAF to the throttle body so all air going into the engine passes through the MAF.

Ok, I have to use the inline PCV setup:

Or you could just, you know, tap a hole for a barb fitting to a common point in the plenum and run the pcv hose to that.

It's a 2€ fitting and doesn't take any space.

Something different will have to happen when you change to maf because you don't want to keep contaminating the sensor and as Bill points out you can't bypass it.

Or you could just, you know, tap a hole for a barb fitting to a common point in the plenum and run the pcv hose to that.

It's a 2€ fitting and doesn't take any space.

Something different will have to happen when you change to maf because you don't want to keep contaminating the sensor and as Bill points out you can't bypass it.

Yes, this may be an alternative...but for thus I have to disassemble the plenum...

I think this catch can also is the better invest for a future MAF setup.

Ok, I have to use the inline PCV setup:

I've got the catch can yesterday and I will install it at the weekend. The best place I've found is the fender on the passenger side.

Will the 8th cylinder be able to burn the oil coal, when the catch can only delivers oil-free air?

Maybe the oil from the pcv toghter with the ATF from the vacuum switch on my gearbox have clogged the O2-Sensor before. On the other hand, I've found a loose piece of ceramic inside my defective o2-sensor, what makes it more likely, that the sensor had a mechanical defect...

I will post a video next time, when I start the engine, cause I'm not sure, if everything is like it should...

On startup the engine runs with 2,000 rpm or more for some seconds, independently from the ambient temperature...

I've got the catch can yesterday and I will install it at the weekend. The best place I've found is the fender on the passenger side.

Will the 8th cylinder be able to burn the oil coal, when the catch can only delivers oil-free air?

Maybe the oil from the pcv toghter with the ATF from the vacuum switch on my gearbox have clogged the O2-Sensor before. On the other hand, I've found a loose piece of ceramic inside my defective o2-sensor, what makes it more likely, that the sensor had a mechanical defect...

I will post a video next time, when I start the engine, cause I'm not sure, if everything is like it should...

On startup the engine runs with 2,000 rpm or more for some seconds, independently from the ambient temperature...

once the pcv stops producing accumulation of oil inside the intake/runners then the problem caused by the oil will clear up rather quickly. the fuel from the injector is a good cleaner of many deposits. yes, oil consumption or even excessive fuel can ruin a sensor or catalytic converter.

how is the catch can going to be able to drain back if the position of it is not above and close to the pcv valve? or did you get one that needs to be cleaned occasionally?

once the pcv stops producing accumulation of oil inside the intake/runners then the problem caused by the oil will clear up rather quickly. the fuel from the injector is a good cleaner of many deposits. yes, oil consumption or even excessive fuel can ruin a sensor or catalytic converter.

how is the catch can going to be able to drain back if the position of it is not above and close to the pcv valve? or did you get one that needs to be cleaned occasionally?

Hi Mat,

from the position I have evaluated, the catch can will be higher than the PCV valve.

But sure, it's some inches away from the PCV and the connector on the intake.

I will check again, if there is space somewhere on the firewall, but I don't think.

Maybe close to the break booster...

I've bought a catch can with a reservoir to collect the liquid oil inside. The can has a dipstick to check how much is inside. I can open the catch can to empty the liquid oil.

So I think, I have to clean it from time to time...

Hi Mat,

from the position I have evaluated, the catch can will be higher than the PCV valve.

But sure, it's some inches away from the PCV and the connector on the intake.

I will check again, if there is space somewhere on the firewall, but I don't think.

Maybe close to the break booster...

I've bought a catch can with a reservoir to collect the liquid oil inside. The can has a dipstick to check how much is inside. I can open the catch can to empty the liquid oil.

So I think, I have to clean it from time to time...

So, it comes faster than I've expected...here are the possible mounting positions:

20240719_065822.jpg.ba3df078d968e0c5fff88b9c34ebeb63.jpg

20240719_065808.jpg.e04a1305cbe9a2ab01bc7917ba9ae1a2.jpg

20240719_065800.jpg.e255475208543e5bbb827033ff1ed1e8.jpg

So, it comes faster than I've expected...here are the possible mounting positions:

it seems that the position beside the wiper motor will work the best although it does get crowded there. i dont think the fender mount is good unless it clears the hood hinge. mounting it where the accumulator/drier was or even where the egr use to be seem simple enough.