Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

It started life as a EFI 5.0

Of course it has oil in #8, that's where the PCV goes.

Hmm...ok...PCV...

I've connected it to the common point on the plenum. End this point ends in cylinder no. 8?

20240714_151529.jpg.ca8dd891e5935a07a83b381b44921b4c.jpg

20240714_151536.jpg.b59da09173706e99d300041657473aba.jpg

Maybe this could be a part of the problem?

20240714_151545.jpg.9ea8d4e564a5a76e4f2c46df3c29a313.jpg

20240714_151555.jpg.ada7264f89940fa4b19be9dbc352b97c.jpg

What's about the color of the inlet valve on #8?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...ok...PCV...

I've connected it to the common point on the plenum. End this point ends in cylinder no. 8?

The combustion chamber and valves on #8 show that there is oil being drawn into the intake. The intake design would allow oil in the plenum to be drawn into #8 runner. Due to the fact that the engine sits at a slight angle any liquid in the lower portion on the plenum will run to the rear of the chamber.

I have a similar issue with my Chrysler Lebaron, the internal baffle in the valve cover does not do a good job of separating the oil from the air plus there is only one inlet/outlet for crankcase ventilation.

Hmm...ok...PCV...

It's a known (and solved!) problem with the early EFI engines.

Sometimes oil gets in and diesels.

Then the top ring land gets broken out of you get a hole melted in the piston.

I don't think either one of these could happen without immediately noticing.

It's a brand new engine, not some 200k mile beater out for a grudge match and "send it!"

The solution is to lead it to the common plenum and plug the intake runner.

I'm sure there are 'kits' or 'packages' for this work, at least they used to be everywhere.

It's a known (and solved!) problem with the early EFI engines.

Sometimes oil gets in and diesels.

Then the top ring land gets broken out of you get a hole melted in the piston.

I don't think either one of these could happen without immediately noticing.

It's a brand new engine, not some 200k mile beater out for a grudge match and "send it!"

The solution is to lead it to the common plenum and plug the intake runner.

I'm sure there are 'kits' or 'packages' for this work, at least they used to be everywhere.

Ok. That sounds good.

My first though was, that it has to do with my former lifter/cam problems.:nabble_anim_crazy:

So, I don't understand hundred percent what the way to solve is...as far as I know, I need the pcv valve for not getting an over pressure inside the engine.

So what should or what do I have to plug?

What's about my oil filler cap with the filter on it? Is that ok or part of the problem?

Ok. That sounds good.

My first though was, that it has to do with my former lifter/cam problems.:nabble_anim_crazy:

So, I don't understand hundred percent what the way to solve is...as far as I know, I need the pcv valve for not getting an over pressure inside the engine.

So what should or what do I have to plug?

What's about my oil filler cap with the filter on it? Is that ok or part of the problem?

The baffled filter on the other valve cover is fine.

There are about a million posts detailing the PCV, its problem and solution.

I'd assume Gary has a tutorial, or perhaps Matt has a link to someone who knows what they're doing?

The baffled filter on the other valve cover is fine.

There are about a million posts detailing the PCV, its problem and solution.

I'd assume Gary has a tutorial, or perhaps Matt has a link to someone who knows what they're doing?

one of the fixes was where the later versions had the pcv draw connection moved to the front of the plenum between the front two runners instead of at the rear. the best correction that I can recommend is a catch can. this should get mounted to the firewall higher than the pcv to allow drainback into the valvecover and then a longer hose connecting to the intake. or you could source a later model upper which can bolt on perfectly. catch cans are used more in high revving, high stress situations like road course racing but you can use one too.

one of the fixes was where the later versions had the pcv draw connection moved to the front of the plenum between the front two runners instead of at the rear. the best correction that I can recommend is a catch can. this should get mounted to the firewall higher than the pcv to allow drainback into the valvecover and then a longer hose connecting to the intake. or you could source a later model upper which can bolt on perfectly. catch cans are used more in high revving, high stress situations like road course racing but you can use one too.

100%

This is more of a competition thing, but obviously you still have some blow-by from the rebuild.

A* leakdown test would tell you a percentage, but it probably just needs to be driven enthusiastically and the rings will finish seating.

Ok, so you mean something like that:

Ebay1

Ebay2

Ok, so you mean something like that:

Ebay1

Ebay2

I wouldn't use the degas bottle with the breather.

The whole point of PCV is to draw a very slight vacuum on the crankcase, and pull oil vapor from the far side valve cover and crankcase Into the engine.