Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

that is a bit too much play for a captured bearing

I think if you look closely you'll see the yoke is moving on the output shaft. That means the nut on the output shaft is loose. And the speedometer output gear depends on that nut being tight or it'll slip on the shaft. Don't ask how I know.

As for weight, if I remember correctly the front half of the case is magnesium and the back half is aluminium, or vice versa. The t-case on your Jeep may be cast iron.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you look closely you'll see the yoke is moving on the output shaft. That means the nut on the output shaft is loose. And the speedometer output gear depends on that nut being tight or it'll slip on the shaft. Don't ask how I know.

As for weight, if I remember correctly the front half of the case is magnesium and the back half is aluminium, or vice versa. The t-case on your Jeep may be cast iron.

There was no washer on the rear output yoke...is there one normally?

The illustration on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Transfer Cases and then the BW1345 tab shows one.

Hmm...so I have to get a new one...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

The bearing of the front output made nice sounds, when turning it by hand...so, that seems to be the reason for the rustling sound when the 4WD was activated...

Also the chain seems a bit sloppy...

20240630_110539.jpg.6a0c3f7cdab0a367e41223adc7a3b119.jpg

My speedometer seems to work correctly. But what do you think about the drive gear?

I can't see any wear on it...but I don't have any comparison...

20240630_134914.jpg.b3371111544399c944fc28be75c215dd.jpg

I see no wear on the gears, only some slight wear on the shafts.

Next weekend, it's time to clean the case and put all parts back together...

20240630_134905.jpg.4a794f8405dd6493dd4dbf711b20064e.jpg

Hmm...so I have to get a new one...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

The bearing of the front output made nice sounds, when turning it by hand...so, that seems to be the reason for the rustling sound when the 4WD was activated...

Also the chain seems a bit sloppy...

My speedometer seems to work correctly. But what do you think about the drive gear?

I can't see any wear on it...but I don't have any comparison...

I see no wear on the gears, only some slight wear on the shafts.

Next weekend, it's time to clean the case and put all parts back together...

I don't know that the washer is all that special, so if you could find one that fits...

And the speedo gear looks good. Just make sure you torque the nut holding the yoke properly or the gear will slip.

The chains are always a bit sloppy, but unless you bought a new one in your kit you'll probably be fine with the original chain.

Don't forget about what Mat said on the oil pump.

I don't know that the washer is all that special, so if you could find one that fits...

And the speedo gear looks good. Just make sure you torque the nut holding the yoke properly or the gear will slip.

The chains are always a bit sloppy, but unless you bought a new one in your kit you'll probably be fine with the original chain.

Don't forget about what Mat said on the oil pump.

About the slip of the gear, I also have thought about it, as you have seen, my yoke wasn't tight...so I'm wondering that my speedometer works relatively accurate...:nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, I've read what mat has written about the pump. I also have seen a score, that the pump anchor tab has driven inside one of the ridges on the planetary gear cover.

As I can't weld, I may have to think about another solution...I'll post a photo, later.

For the tabs on the forks...I have new ones, but the old ones are very tight...they aren't fixed by glue or something?

About the slip of the gear, I also have thought about it, as you have seen, my yoke wasn't tight...so I'm wondering that my speedometer works relatively accurate...:nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, I've read what mat has written about the pump. I also have seen a score, that the pump anchor tab has driven inside one of the ridges on the planetary gear cover.

As I can't weld, I may have to think about another solution...I'll post a photo, later.

For the tabs on the forks...I have new ones, but the old ones are very tight...they aren't fixed by glue or something?

I can't explain why your speedo worked seemingly ok, but mine sure slipped when the nut wasn't tight. :nabble_anim_confused:

On the tabs, I think they just push on and stay. But I'd be afraid the old ones would break, so if I had new ones while I was rebuilding I'd put them in.

I can't explain why your speedo worked seemingly ok, but mine sure slipped when the nut wasn't tight. :nabble_anim_confused:

On the tabs, I think they just push on and stay. But I'd be afraid the old ones would break, so if I had new ones while I was rebuilding I'd put them in.

As changing all u-joints on the drive shafts, I see that the spring and some needles of the u-joint yoke were broken. I will buy a new one.

Rockauto

As changing all u-joints on the drive shafts, I see that the spring and some needles of the u-joint yoke were broken. I will buy a new one.

Rockauto

As having no welding machine, I used my grinder and dremel to repair the pump anchor pad:

20240707_120935.jpg.378abebe177efe6a1df8f4e234dded49.jpg

Another question: on the exploded view l, there is a snap ring on the output shaft, if I haven't seen it wrong. On mine there wasn't a snap ring...

20240707_123111.jpg.91d8be5fbd6cb18093ec56d434f90abb.jpg