Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

When you do this, pump your tires to the max inflation pressure.

The truck won't squirm around and possibly roll the tire off the rim

Yes, you were overloaded. But that's not all that unusual. Not legal should you be stopped, so don't make a habit of it. And as Jim said, if you air the tires up to the max on the sidewall you'll be safer.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you were overloaded. But that's not all that unusual. Not legal should you be stopped, so don't make a habit of it. And as Jim said, if you air the tires up to the max on the sidewall you'll be safer.

Hmm...didn't thought about this...Fortunately I only have had to drive 2.5 miles...

I'm wondering, that the truck is able to carry such a low amount of cargo...but maybe that's the reason why to most seem to use trailers...the capability to pull should be much higher...

The only problem in Germany is, that I'm only allowed to pull a trailer/truck combination with a maximum gross weight of 3.5 Tons. So for the bronco, the trailer has a limit of 1.2 tons.

Choosing my buggy...the trailer is allowed to have 2.6 tons...but i think this wouldn't be a good idea...http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

20240203_145332.jpg.7e6b748d5892968d8c83fff1f019d53a.jpg

Hmm...didn't thought about this...Fortunately I only have had to drive 2.5 miles...

I'm wondering, that the truck is able to carry such a low amount of cargo...but maybe that's the reason why to most seem to use trailers...the capability to pull should be much higher...

The only problem in Germany is, that I'm only allowed to pull a trailer/truck combination with a maximum gross weight of 3.5 Tons. So for the bronco, the trailer has a limit of 1.2 tons.

Choosing my buggy...the trailer is allowed to have 2.6 tons...but i think this wouldn't be a good idea...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

TUV is weird about some things.

I was pointing out to Gary not long ago that depending on the truck and spring combination some pickups have negative reserve capacity.:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Choosing my buggy...the trailer is allowed to have 2.6 tons...but i think this wouldn't be a good idea...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

If it is only 2.5 miles then make two trips? (I know, you've already done it and don't plan to do it again.)

Yes, it is very easy to overload these trucks. People think "truck" and they can put anything in it they want. But if the springs were that capable the ride would be horrible.

Over here people start with "1/2 ton trucks" and transform them into overlanding rigs with water, extra batteries, camping equipment, bigger tires, lights, etc. And then they find out they are overloaded before the load up themselves and groceries for the trip. But they go on anyway and wonder why they have problems.

As for the buggy, you could tow it with the Bronco?

If it is only 2.5 miles then make two trips? (I know, you've already done it and don't plan to do it again.)

Yes, it is very easy to overload these trucks. People think "truck" and they can put anything in it they want. But if the springs were that capable the ride would be horrible.

Over here people start with "1/2 ton trucks" and transform them into overlanding rigs with water, extra batteries, camping equipment, bigger tires, lights, etc. And then they find out they are overloaded before the load up themselves and groceries for the trip. But they go on anyway and wonder why they have problems.

As for the buggy, you could tow it with the Bronco?

You're right. This were the option, if I have had switched on my brain before loading...:nabble_smiley_what:

Yes, I know this is the same in Germany. Especially for people, that build there own camping mobiles...

It should be possible to tow the buggy. It weights 900 kg. A trailer for it should may be available with not more than 300kg.

But currently, I have no use for this. If I'll do this for eg. Driving into holidays, I couldn't carry more than another person with the buggy...it has only two seats. So twonof us for have to stay with the bronco...:nabble_smiley_sad:

But without the German restrictions by law, what weight are these broncos able to pull?

You're right. This were the option, if I have had switched on my brain before loading...:nabble_smiley_what:

Yes, I know this is the same in Germany. Especially for people, that build there own camping mobiles...

It should be possible to tow the buggy. It weights 900 kg. A trailer for it should may be available with not more than 300kg.

But currently, I have no use for this. If I'll do this for eg. Driving into holidays, I couldn't carry more than another person with the buggy...it has only two seats. So twonof us for have to stay with the bronco...:nabble_smiley_sad:

But without the German restrictions by law, what weight are these broncos able to pull?

That depends entirely on the springs, engine, transmission, etc

"Able to" and "sanely" are two separate questions.

We have :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: here.

I don't think you want to know what you share the road with over here.

The owner's manual tells the tale and we don't have a copy of the Bronco one on here. But our page at Documentation/Specifications/Towing goes one better on the 1986 Towing Guide tab.

What is interesting is that a Bronco with a C6 and a 5.0L EFI and 3.55 gears, meaning an 8.8" diff, can tow up to 6,900 lbs, and if you have 4.10 gears you can to up to 7,900 lbs. However, if you have a 5.8L with a 4bbl you could only get 3.50 gears, meaning you got a 9" diff, and you could only tow 6,800 lbs.

Having said that, Jim is right with the "able to" and "sanely". The Bronco's short wheelbase makes towing more difficult than with a longer wheelbase pickup. And then there's brakes, and unless you have good brakes on the trailer the shorter the tow vehicle's wheelbase the riskier it is.

The owner's manual tells the tale and we don't have a copy of the Bronco one on here. But our page at Documentation/Specifications/Towing goes one better on the 1986 Towing Guide tab.

What is interesting is that a Bronco with a C6 and a 5.0L EFI and 3.55 gears, meaning an 8.8" diff, can tow up to 6,900 lbs, and if you have 4.10 gears you can to up to 7,900 lbs. However, if you have a 5.8L with a 4bbl you could only get 3.50 gears, meaning you got a 9" diff, and you could only tow 6,800 lbs.

Having said that, Jim is right with the "able to" and "sanely". The Bronco's short wheelbase makes towing more difficult than with a longer wheelbase pickup. And then there's brakes, and unless you have good brakes on the trailer the shorter the tow vehicle's wheelbase the riskier it is.

Towing with a short wheelbase and laden trailer can be fun, Fun, FUN.

I had to extricate some dip**** who was trying to trailer his 30'+ boat with a Jeep.

Yeah, not too bright.

Every night I have to confront the reality of the morons and downright dangerous vehicles we share the road with.

Towing with a short wheelbase and laden trailer can be fun, Fun, FUN.

I had to extricate some dip**** who was trying to trailer his 30'+ boat with a Jeep.

Yeah, not too bright.

Every night I have to confront the reality of the morons and downright dangerous vehicles we share the road with.

Even long wheelbase tow vehicles are a problem if the driver doesn't know and doesn't know he doesn't know. I remember getting a call late one night from a member, who will remain nameless, who was trying to tow a 3/4 ton Bullnose on a trailer with a 1/2 ton rental pickup. He couldn't get over 30 MPH w/o severe fishtailing.

Had him send me a pic and, sure enough, he didn't have much tongue weight as the tow vehicle wasn't sitting down. (Plus he had chains holding the truck on the trailer at the front, but light ratchet straps at the rear, but that's another story.) After moving the Bullnose forward and squatting the tow truck it towed nicely. (And I had him swap the chains and ratchet straps for safety.)

Towing is serious business and too many people don't understand that. But if you overload the tow vehicle and have an accident a sharp lawyer will take your money, and rightly so, in court.

Even long wheelbase tow vehicles are a problem if the driver doesn't know and doesn't know he doesn't know. I remember getting a call late one night from a member, who will remain nameless, who was trying to tow a 3/4 ton Bullnose on a trailer with a 1/2 ton rental pickup. He couldn't get over 30 MPH w/o severe fishtailing.

Had him send me a pic and, sure enough, he didn't have much tongue weight as the tow vehicle wasn't sitting down. (Plus he had chains holding the truck on the trailer at the front, but light ratchet straps at the rear, but that's another story.) After moving the Bullnose forward and squatting the tow truck it towed nicely. (And I had him swap the chains and ratchet straps for safety.)

Towing is serious business and too many people don't understand that. But if you overload the tow vehicle and have an accident a sharp lawyer will take your money, and rightly so, in court.

I may know just a little bit about securing a load and towing things! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: