Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

I will only use Motorcraft sensors on my Fords, even ordered O2 sensors for my wife's 2011 Flex from Motorcraft.

Ok...I've also one in the basket. The air temperature sensor isn't available from motorcraft at rockauto.com...so I'll try walker.

Regarding the transfer case...I have the borg warner 1345...

20231111_101233.jpg.e6e4feab1689121dc795ca0e552f3cb4.jpg

20231111_101219.jpg.6bcc335f1c73fadf389f2642242f65c6.jpg

20231111_101307.jpg.6d2c0c0dee1991e8bc6b0a09fdb49047.jpg

What does this mean for me? It is worse than the 86 stock TC? So if I haven't the stock one, one of the former owners seems to have changed it...maybe together with the transmission...me was told, that my stock was an AOD...

20231111_123615.jpg.42d99402e5e8646389cfeb582d5eeb0f.jpg

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I've also one in the basket. The air temperature sensor isn't available from motorcraft at rockauto.com...so I'll try walker.

What does this mean for me? It is worse than the 86 stock TC? So if I haven't the stock one, one of the former owners seems to have changed it...maybe together with the transmission...me was told, that my stock was an AOD...

Here is the base for my own build steering damper...

20231111_123721.jpg.256d6d0bca98e80f73e70e77a074dfcc.jpg

Polyurethane plus 1mm stainless steel as safety part.

Yes, that's a BW1345. But it may well be the original one to the truck. If you go look at the Applications tab on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transfer Cases you'll see that there are several engine & transmission combinations for the U150 that show "W1345".

Having said that, I believe that one has been apart before. In your closeup of the tag on it there's red RTV hanging from the mating joint. I've not seen one from the factory have that. So remind me why you think it needs to be rebuilt?

And those look like good materials to rebuild the rag joint. But just remember that where it is gets hot, so everything needs to handle heat quite well.

Yes, that's a BW1345. But it may well be the original one to the truck. If you go look at the Applications tab on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transfer Cases you'll see that there are several engine & transmission combinations for the U150 that show "W1345".

Having said that, I believe that one has been apart before. In your closeup of the tag on it there's red RTV hanging from the mating joint. I've not seen one from the factory have that. So remind me why you think it needs to be rebuilt?

And those look like good materials to rebuild the rag joint. But just remember that where it is gets hot, so everything needs to handle heat quite well.

I think, I should rebuild it, cause if I grab the yoke, I can move it up and down by hand. The bearing definitely has much play...same like both on the rear axle input shaft. The deep rolling sound gets much better since I've change the bearings of the rear differential. I think, when I also change the ones inside the TC, it will be gone.

Would a readable photo of the tag, help to know the transmission value of the TC?

Or was there only one type available?

Back to my question, if I need something else as the revision set, I've posted before...I will also look for the chain, as you've said. If I understand right, what I've seen, the chain is only in use in 4WD!?

About the RTV, I have had the same thoughts from the time, I have read that there is no paper gasket available.

The polyurethane withstand about 90 degrees constantly. I think I wouldn't deal with those temperatures at this place. Also the common rubber won't have a higher temperature resistance.

But changing this will be work for another day or two, cause I have to remove the whole steering shaft.

I think, I should rebuild it, cause if I grab the yoke, I can move it up and down by hand. The bearing definitely has much play...same like both on the rear axle input shaft. The deep rolling sound gets much better since I've change the bearings of the rear differential. I think, when I also change the ones inside the TC, it will be gone.

Would a readable photo of the tag, help to know the transmission value of the TC?

Or was there only one type available?

Back to my question, if I need something else as the revision set, I've posted before...I will also look for the chain, as you've said. If I understand right, what I've seen, the chain is only in use in 4WD!?

About the RTV, I have had the same thoughts from the time, I have read that there is no paper gasket available.

The polyurethane withstand about 90 degrees constantly. I think I wouldn't deal with those temperatures at this place. Also the common rubber won't have a higher temperature resistance.

But changing this will be work for another day or two, cause I have to remove the whole steering shaft.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I don't think there are different parts for slightly different BW1345's. In other words, if you get parts for a 1986 BW1345 then I think you'll be fine. And while in there I'd replace the chain - although it is only in use in 4wd.

And there is no gasket, just RTV between the case halves.

As for the steering shaft, I think you'll be fine with that material.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I don't think there are different parts for slightly different BW1345's. In other words, if you get parts for a 1986 BW1345 then I think you'll be fine. And while in there I'd replace the chain - although it is only in use in 4wd.

About the different parts...What I've meant, was maybe lost in translation...:nabble_smiley_happy:

I was talking of different gears, like available for e.g. the differentials.

About the chain, I've to take a closer look, cause rockauto seems to have nothing in stock or even listed...

Now, I'm sure....rockauto can't supply me the correct chain. I've found one on eBay, that seems to fit with the partslist and application. What do you think about the price?

eBay

Now, I'm sure....rockauto can't supply me the correct chain. I've found one on eBay, that seems to fit with the partslist and application. What do you think about the price?

eBay

They've got the chain. It fits both the 1345 and my 1356.

I think the price you've found is good. I don't want to tell you what I paid when I cooked my transfer case a few years back in the hinterlands of Vermont. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Screenshot_2023-11-12-05-46-12-126.thumb.jpeg.d1feab4443dc22267673e0b122f3c8ab.jpeg

.....And those look like good materials to rebuild the rag joint. But just remember that where it is gets hot, so everything needs to handle heat quite well.

I did away with my rag joint entirely by welding the steering box input spline to a later(2009-14) F-150 lower shaft that Incorporates universal joints and a cross shaped sliding section.

I had to be careful by keeping the joint wrapped in a wet rag, but it removed all that slop and vagueness from my steering. 😉

Screenshot_2023-11-12-06-09-21-263.thumb.jpeg.9b5040a363db37d090112febc7d7f33f.jpeg

Like this one on eBay

Screenshot_2023-11-12-06-14-00-841.thumb.jpeg.bcdf625e8f641259139dc1d85791576e.jpeg

.....And those look like good materials to rebuild the rag joint. But just remember that where it is gets hot, so everything needs to handle heat quite well.

I did away with my rag joint entirely by welding the steering box input spline to a later(2009-14) F-150 lower shaft that Incorporates universal joints and a cross shaped sliding section.

I had to be careful by keeping the joint wrapped in a wet rag, but it removed all that slop and vagueness from my steering. 😉

Like this one on eBay

Good find on the chain, Jim. And since RA will ship to Germany the price difference is moot.

As for the lower steering shaft, your approach is a great one - for our application. That's because our trucks have a very straight shot from the steering column to the steering gear so there's no real need for two u-joints to smooth out the rotational speed. But in some applications there's quite an angle between the steering column and the box so using just one u-joint will give an odd speed-up/slow-down in the steering as the steering wheel is rotated at a constant speed.