Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...I currently don't understand what both of you mean...:nabble_anim_confused:

A dashpot is a device that slows the movement of something. On a lot of the Bullnose trucks Ford installed a dashpot on the throttle linkage to slow the movement back to idle when you take your foot off the gas.

In EEC-V they did that in software. And when I started driving Big Blue with V it actually caused the RPM to go up when I pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop. Then, just before stopping, the idle would go down.

I found the dashpot function and cut the amount of it down quite a bit as well as raised the MPH at which it quits, so all is well now.

A dashpot is a device that slows the movement of something. On a lot of the Bullnose trucks Ford installed a dashpot on the throttle linkage to slow the movement back to idle when you take your foot off the gas.

In EEC-V they did that in software. And when I started driving Big Blue with V it actually caused the RPM to go up when I pushed in the clutch to coast to a stop. Then, just before stopping, the idle would go down.

I found the dashpot function and cut the amount of it down quite a bit as well as raised the MPH at which it quits, so all is well now.

Ahhh...ok...now I understand.

Yesterday I've ordered the 8.8 differtial repair kit. It will arrive next week. The weekend after it arrives, I will do the repair and see what I will find...I hope my axles haven't such a deep groove inside where the differential bearings are placed...I already have used repair bearings for replacing the wheel bearings..

Ahhh...ok...now I understand.

Yesterday I've ordered the 8.8 differtial repair kit. It will arrive next week. The weekend after it arrives, I will do the repair and see what I will find...I hope my axles haven't such a deep groove inside where the differential bearings are placed...I already have used repair bearings for replacing the wheel bearings..

Hope it goes well. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

This weekend I've checked my timing again...it was at 8 degrees BTDC...a bit too less in my opinion...I've set it now to 12 degrees...let's see what's changes...:nabble_anim_working:

I think you'll like 12 degrees. You'll have a bit more spunk from the engine and a bit better MPG, but you shouldn't have hard starting.

I think you'll like 12 degrees. You'll have a bit more spunk from the engine and a bit better MPG, but you shouldn't have hard starting.

Yes, it seems so. Haven't driven much since the new setup. But the engine still let's the rpm rise and fall when it's cold at startup. Not as much...let it be about 200 rpm or so...but I think, I still have a problem with my IAC, TPS or the throttle body itself...

Hmm...I have a very bad cold-start behavior...if the car stands some hours at below 10 degrees Celsius, it starts not very good. Today is was also the case, when the Ambiente is higher...I still have the throttle body as suspect...

Sawing and starving sometimes when raising the rpm with gear set.

So, I've opened the differential today. Tomorrow I will change all bearings and also the shims to set the correct play. I have about 1mm linear play. So I can push and pull the axle 1mm in and out.

But also the gears doesn't look very fine. I hope, I can keep them. What do you think?

IMG-20231104-WA0000.thumb.jpg.cc418d10c7251198b860e850e76decaa.jpg

IMG-20231104-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e5374426dedf5f53ea8753effae26100.jpg

So, I've opened the differential today. Tomorrow I will change all bearings and also the shims to set the correct play. I have about 1mm linear play. So I can push and pull the axle 1mm in and out.

But also the gears doesn't look very fine. I hope, I can keep them. What do you think?

René - The first pic shows the heel of the pinion and I don't think that area is used. So I don't think that's a problem.

The second pic is of the side gears and I see the area you are questioning, but it is hard to tell from it if there is a problem. Can you catch anything with your fingernail? Or is it smooth?

I'm going to tag Bill to see what he thinks.