Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

Hi Bill, maybe my intention is getting in a wrong way...:nabble_smiley_happy:

As using the truck as daily driver and also for longer distances, I think a gearbox with overdrive is very useful and will get better mpg for me. Sure, I'll go off-road some times, but my definition for off-road is maybe the same as for some people the definition of side-street...:nabble_smiley_wink:

I also have no heavy trailer to pull...

So my truck was originally delivered with the AOD. A former owner has changed it to the C6 for reasons I don't know.

I have read that the AOD is not very reliable.

And as my two experts here in the forum uses the E4OD, I thought this will be the better choice.

I have found this on rockauto.com:

1994 EEC-IV

But as having done the whole engine wiring new and modular, I have also the option to switch to an EEC-V and add a MAF, if this will get more benefits (like e.g. better MPG).

So the only things I want to change in the future, regarding the engine, is a new plenum with single throttle body and new aluminum heads.

I'll be thankful for your thoughts about this.

I'm not Bill, but I'll comment anyway.

The AOD was not used with the 351W in the trucks, probably due to not being stout enough for the torque of that engine, and your 347 stroker probably has at least as much torque as a stock 351W. So a stock AOD isn't a good idea. But I've read that they can be built to be very stout - at a price.

And the AOD provides an overdrive as well as a lock-up torque converter - both of which the C6 lacks. Plus it doesn't require a computer to control it. So might be a good choice instead of an E4OD - especially if you stay with the EEC-IV system.

Speaking of which, I think EEC-V would be the way to go if you are going to add aluminum heads. The EEC-IV systems assume that you've not changed anything in the inlet or exhaust system so if the throttle is open X%, the engine is spinning Y RPM, and the density is Z then you must be ingesting exactly this much air on each stroke. That's called "speed density" and it works fine on a stock engine.

But aluminum heads are probably going to have better airflow as well as higher compression ratio, so the EEC-IV system is not going to get the right answer when it calculates the amount of air that is being ingested. Yes, with the O2 sensor it will realize it was in error and correct, but only to a certain extent.

That's where the EEC-V system shines as it doesn't assume anything. Instead it measures the amount of air and, via the two O2 sensors, knows the AFR of both banks of the engine.

So if you are going to add aluminum heads you should consider changing to EEC-V. And then you'll also have the ability to control an E4OD. But in reality a well-built AOD will do pretty much everything an E4OD will do, except that the E4OD has a bit lower 1st gear and OD.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AOD was not used with the 351W in the trucks, probably due to not being stout enough for the torque of that engine, and your 347 stroker probably has at least as much torque as a stock 351W. So a stock AOD isn't a good idea. But I've read that they can be built to be very stout - at a price.

And the AOD provides an overdrive as well as a lock-up torque converter - both of which the C6 lacks. Plus it doesn't require a computer to control it. So might be a good choice instead of an E4OD - especially if you stay with the EEC-IV system.

Speaking of which, I think EEC-V would be the way to go if you are going to add aluminum heads. The EEC-IV systems assume that you've not changed anything in the inlet or exhaust system so if the throttle is open X%, the engine is spinning Y RPM, and the density is Z then you must be ingesting exactly this much air on each stroke. That's called "speed density" and it works fine on a stock engine.

But aluminum heads are probably going to have better airflow as well as higher compression ratio, so the EEC-IV system is not going to get the right answer when it calculates the amount of air that is being ingested. Yes, with the O2 sensor it will realize it was in error and correct, but only to a certain extent.

That's where the EEC-V system shines as it doesn't assume anything. Instead it measures the amount of air and, via the two O2 sensors, knows the AFR of both banks of the engine.

So if you are going to add aluminum heads you should consider changing to EEC-V. And then you'll also have the ability to control an E4OD. But in reality a well-built AOD will do pretty much everything an E4OD will do, except that the E4OD has a bit lower 1st gear and OD.

I will throw a few remarks in on this. E4OD is roughly 6" overall longer than a C6, but the rear mounting pad is 9" further back meaning your transmission crossmember has to be relocated 9" further back on the frame. This will also move your 4WD shift lever back 6" inside the cab. Front driveshaft will need to be 6" longer and the rear 6" shorter.

There is another option, a 4R70/75W it is the same physical size as an AOD, but is stronger and computer controlled, It was used behind 302s and in the later versions, 4.6L and 5.4L Modular V8s.

As far as computers, EEC-V computers can be re-flashed (reprogrammed) with the proper software and a "token" to break the Ford protection on it. It will require a fair amount of rewiring as the harness connection is 104 tiny pins as opposed to the 60 larger pins on an EEC-IV. It has more processor capacity and is faster than the EEC-IV.

The other option is a separate transmission controller that can get needed information (throttle opening, engine load, speed) from the existing EEC-IV computer. Chrysler used a similar system for a number of years.

I will throw a few remarks in on this. E4OD is roughly 6" overall longer than a C6, but the rear mounting pad is 9" further back meaning your transmission crossmember has to be relocated 9" further back on the frame. This will also move your 4WD shift lever back 6" inside the cab. Front driveshaft will need to be 6" longer and the rear 6" shorter.

There is another option, a 4R70/75W it is the same physical size as an AOD, but is stronger and computer controlled, It was used behind 302s and in the later versions, 4.6L and 5.4L Modular V8s.

As far as computers, EEC-V computers can be re-flashed (reprogrammed) with the proper software and a "token" to break the Ford protection on it. It will require a fair amount of rewiring as the harness connection is 104 tiny pins as opposed to the 60 larger pins on an EEC-IV. It has more processor capacity and is faster than the EEC-IV.

The other option is a separate transmission controller that can get needed information (throttle opening, engine load, speed) from the existing EEC-IV computer. Chrysler used a similar system for a number of years.

Ok, as I've said, my truck was already switched from AOD to C6. So the former owner has done some modifications. If I'll switch back to a transmission that nearly has the size of the AOD...everything will be more "normal" again...:nabble_smiley_happy:

So reading everything Gary and Bill has written, my thoughts are going to check if my EEC-IV can handle a E4OD. If it's able to, I'm searching for a E4OD to rework and install it, because in my thoughts the overdrive will bring me the most benefits.

The next step will be a new intake mainfold with plenum and single throttle body together with new aluminum heads and an EEC-V. I don't know, if more compression is really necessary, cause the power is already very good and I want to build something very long lasting...

So as having too mich cars with construction sides, this is a two-year-plan.

If my EEC-IV is not able to control a E4OD, the question is, if a EEC-V is able to rum without a MAF or if I'm able to build a MAF inside my two-channel air intake. Maybe with an Y-hose or something.

But the first primary goal is to overhaul the rear differential that seems to have too much play...I still hope for a recommendation...:nabble_smiley_beam:

Ok, as I've said, my truck was already switched from AOD to C6. So the former owner has done some modifications. If I'll switch back to a transmission that nearly has the size of the AOD...everything will be more "normal" again...:nabble_smiley_happy:

So reading everything Gary and Bill has written, my thoughts are going to check if my EEC-IV can handle a E4OD. If it's able to, I'm searching for a E4OD to rework and install it, because in my thoughts the overdrive will bring me the most benefits.

The next step will be a new intake mainfold with plenum and single throttle body together with new aluminum heads and an EEC-V. I don't know, if more compression is really necessary, cause the power is already very good and I want to build something very long lasting...

So as having too mich cars with construction sides, this is a two-year-plan.

If my EEC-IV is not able to control a E4OD, the question is, if a EEC-V is able to rum without a MAF or if I'm able to build a MAF inside my two-channel air intake. Maybe with an Y-hose or something.

But the first primary goal is to overhaul the rear differential that seems to have too much play...I still hope for a recommendation...:nabble_smiley_beam:

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation on an overhaul kit for the 8.8" as I've not worked on one.

Don't miss what Bill said about the E4OD's length as you will not only need a new crossmember but also new front and rear driveshafts. And it is possible that the transfer case will hit the floor of your Bronco. I had that problem in Dad's truck, which you can read about starting here, but ending here. I don't know if the Bronco floor pan would have the same problem, but it is something to think about.

But if you are thinking about going to a MAF-based system I wouldn't worry about whether or not your EEC-IV ECU will run an E4OD. I'd make the move to EEC-V and get an ECU that will control that transmission. HOWEVER, also don't miss Bill's statement that "EEC-V computers can be re-flashed (reprogrammed) with the proper software and a "token" to break the Ford protection on it." Both he and I've done that and it isn't a simple walk in the park. And it isn't cheap.

So in my estimation the easiest thing for you to do is to keep your EEC-IV system and have an AOD transmission built to handle your engine. It won't require changing the ECU, nor crossmember location, nor new driveshafts. And you'll still get a lock-up torque converter and OD.

My guess is that a built AOD won't cost any more than a rebuilt E4OD, and it'll bolt right in.

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation on an overhaul kit for the 8.8" as I've not worked on one.

Don't miss what Bill said about the E4OD's length as you will not only need a new crossmember but also new front and rear driveshafts. And it is possible that the transfer case will hit the floor of your Bronco. I had that problem in Dad's truck, which you can read about starting here, but ending here. I don't know if the Bronco floor pan would have the same problem, but it is something to think about.

But if you are thinking about going to a MAF-based system I wouldn't worry about whether or not your EEC-IV ECU will run an E4OD. I'd make the move to EEC-V and get an ECU that will control that transmission. HOWEVER, also don't miss Bill's statement that "EEC-V computers can be re-flashed (reprogrammed) with the proper software and a "token" to break the Ford protection on it." Both he and I've done that and it isn't a simple walk in the park. And it isn't cheap.

So in my estimation the easiest thing for you to do is to keep your EEC-IV system and have an AOD transmission built to handle your engine. It won't require changing the ECU, nor crossmember location, nor new driveshafts. And you'll still get a lock-up torque converter and OD.

My guess is that a built AOD won't cost any more than a rebuilt E4OD, and it'll bolt right in.

Gary!

This is what I love to be here!

It's always to be on the point. I'll get answers to my needs. And there is still in mind that I'm outside the USA. We haven't have junkyards anymore here in Germany.

I have the most parts to order directly from US-Stock. Especially for such a rare vehicle I drive here.

I'll look up for a AOD and also for a kit to level-it-up. I think the parts for up-leveling won't be very heavy...so it will be maybe a good thing to do this, when getting an AOD from a local seller in Germany.

When having done this, I'll maybe check for aluminum heads and a new intake mainfold including a new plenum and a new throttle body.

Gary!

This is what I love to be here!

It's always to be on the point. I'll get answers to my needs. And there is still in mind that I'm outside the USA. We haven't have junkyards anymore here in Germany.

I have the most parts to order directly from US-Stock. Especially for such a rare vehicle I drive here.

I'll look up for a AOD and also for a kit to level-it-up. I think the parts for up-leveling won't be very heavy...so it will be maybe a good thing to do this, when getting an AOD from a local seller in Germany.

When having done this, I'll maybe check for aluminum heads and a new intake mainfold including a new plenum and a new throttle body.

The beauty of going with an AOD, beyond using the same driveshafts and crossmember, is that you can do it w/o changing the ECU or wiring. And then you can decide about the heads and intake later.

Do you have places in Germany that rebuild American transmissions? If so they would surely know how to beef up an AOD.

But let's see if Bill agrees with me. Bill? :nabble_waving_orig:

The beauty of going with an AOD, beyond using the same driveshafts and crossmember, is that you can do it w/o changing the ECU or wiring. And then you can decide about the heads and intake later.

Do you have places in Germany that rebuild American transmissions? If so they would surely know how to beef up an AOD.

If they can't beef up the AOD (look for parts from the earlier models used in police cars with the 351 engine). I still say, if you can find one, a 4R70/75W. It is a wide ratio computer controlled version of the AOD.

That means bolt-in for the original setup.

If you want something for an US-Car in Germany, you'll better do it by yourself...companies takes money as the cars or parts are directly imported from Mars...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

But to be serious: The philosophy here in Germany is, that a car won't last more than three years. Buy-drive-sell. That's what it is.

20,000 kilometers and it's better to buy a new car than taking all the cost for services g. This is bad and a waste of material.

Not any small approach of ecology or economy. Only the way to feed the big players of the automotive sector.

So also of gasoline is very expensive today, I drive cheaper with an old, reliable US-Car, than with a new German car...that's only awkward and senseless...

If they can't beef up the AOD (look for parts from the earlier models used in police cars with the 351 engine). I still say, if you can find one, a 4R70/75W. It is a wide ratio computer controlled version of the AOD.

That means bolt-in for the original setup.

Ok, I'll check what I'm able to get...

So, today I've done a photo of my ECU:

20231022_164816.jpg.5f3486880ffc54ef25fb9920b0ae213c.jpg

So its: E9TF-12A650-AB1B