Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

I mis-typed - the E4OD came out in '89, and I've updated the previous post.

So if you have an '89 ECU it might have the ability to control an E4OD. However, according to our documentation the E4OD wasn't used in the Bronco that year. So what did your ECU come out of? Do you have the numbers off of it so I can look it up?

No problem. I thought Bill has recommended me to use a 1989 EEC-IV for my 347 stroker. I have bought the Cardone 784780 (E9TF-ABB / E9TF-ABC). If ,ou need the original number...I've to take a photo.

What do you think about my axle?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. I thought Bill has recommended me to use a 1989 EEC-IV for my 347 stroker. I have bought the Cardone 784780 (E9TF-ABB / E9TF-ABC). If ,ou need the original number...I've to take a photo.

What do you think about my axle?

E9TF-ABB is an ID #, not a part number. Go see our new page at Documentation/How To Decode Ford Part Numbers to explain why I say that. So in the morning I'll see if I can find that in the cross-ref as the Master Parts Catalog lists part numbers, not ID #'s. So I need a PN to see what the ECU came from and supports.

On the axle, I know there's end play in them, but I don't know how much is within specs. However you may be able to find the specs in the Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.

E9TF-ABB is an ID #, not a part number. Go see our new page at Documentation/How To Decode Ford Part Numbers to explain why I say that. So in the morning I'll see if I can find that in the cross-ref as the Master Parts Catalog lists part numbers, not ID #'s. So I need a PN to see what the ECU came from and supports.

On the axle, I know there's end play in them, but I don't know how much is within specs. However you may be able to find the specs in the Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.

I found out, that the maximum endplay should not more than 0.03". I have a lot more...so maybe some of these shims inside the differential are worn out...

About the ECU, I'll take a picture from the number this weekend.

I found out, that the maximum endplay should not more than 0.03". I have a lot more...so maybe some of these shims inside the differential are worn out...

About the ECU, I'll take a picture from the number this weekend.

I don't know what causes the excess play in the axle, though maybe someone else does or the factory shop manual may say.

But we probably need the numbers off your ECU. I say that because Ford's 1991 Master Cross Reference doesn't list either an E9TF 12A650-ABB or ABC. But it does list an E9TZ 12A650-ABB and ABC, and they cross to E9TF 12A650-ABBMR and ABCMR.

But the only E4OD-capable units I'm seeing are:

• Calibration PL 687 for an '89 F250/350 with a 5.8L: E9TZ 12A650-PB Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-P1B

• Calibration PL 690 for an '89 F250/350 with a 7.5L: E9TZ 12A650-RA Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-R1A

• Calibration PL 691 for an '89 F(Superduty) with a 7.5L: E9TZ 12A650-SA Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-S1A r/bF0TZ 12A650-AZA

I don't know what causes the excess play in the axle, though maybe someone else does or the factory shop manual may say.

But we probably need the numbers off your ECU. I say that because Ford's 1991 Master Cross Reference doesn't list either an E9TF 12A650-ABB or ABC. But it does list an E9TZ 12A650-ABB and ABC, and they cross to E9TF 12A650-ABBMR and ABCMR.

But the only E4OD-capable units I'm seeing are:

• Calibration PL 687 for an '89 F250/350 with a 5.8L: E9TZ 12A650-PB Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-P1B

• Calibration PL 690 for an '89 F250/350 with a 7.5L: E9TZ 12A650-RA Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-R1A

• Calibration PL 691 for an '89 F(Superduty) with a 7.5L: E9TZ 12A650-SA Processor and calibrator assy. (E.E.C. IV) #E9TF 12A650-S1A r/bF0TZ 12A650-AZA

Update: There is the following entry in the section of the MPC called "12A650 PROCESSOR AND CALIBRATOR ASSY, (ENGINE ELECTRONIC CONTROL-E.E.C. IV-REMANUFACTURED":

E9TF 12A650-AB1B E9TZ 12A650-ABB r/b E9TZ 12A650-ABC

But there's no application or parts list that uses that unit.

Bill - Do you know anything about it?

Update: There is the following entry in the section of the MPC called "12A650 PROCESSOR AND CALIBRATOR ASSY, (ENGINE ELECTRONIC CONTROL-E.E.C. IV-REMANUFACTURED":

E9TF 12A650-AB1B E9TZ 12A650-ABB r/b E9TZ 12A650-ABC

But there's no application or parts list that uses that unit.

Bill - Do you know anything about it?

I Googled the number and got this:

https://modulemechanics.com/product/e9tz-12a650-abc-eec-iv-ecu-plug-play-ford-bronco-ecm-pcm-bcm-engine-control-computer-oem/

Most likely as the only 351/AOD combinations I have seen were in cars.

Hi Bill, maybe my intention is getting in a wrong way...:nabble_smiley_happy:

As using the truck as daily driver and also for longer distances, I think a gearbox with overdrive is very useful and will get better mpg for me. Sure, I'll go off-road some times, but my definition for off-road is maybe the same as for some people the definition of side-street...:nabble_smiley_wink:

I also have no heavy trailer to pull...

So my truck was originally delivered with the AOD. A former owner has changed it to the C6 for reasons I don't know.

I have read that the AOD is not very reliable.

And as my two experts here in the forum uses the E4OD, I thought this will be the better choice.

I have found this on rockauto.com:

1994 EEC-IV

But as having done the whole engine wiring new and modular, I have also the option to switch to an EEC-V and add a MAF, if this will get more benefits (like e.g. better MPG).

So the only things I want to change in the future, regarding the engine, is a new plenum with single throttle body and new aluminum heads.

I'll be thankful for your thoughts about this.

I think it's best to buy a differential rebuild kit...so maybe someone can recommend me a master kit for my Ford 8.8...

rockauto.com

Thanks!