Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you ordered the repair bearings! You were prepared. And I'm glad the noise is gone as well. Good job!

But how are the brakes? Are they improved?

Thanks!

I don't know by now. I've done a test drive yesterday evening. It seems that there is still some air left inside the system.

Or maybe I haven't set the adjuster far enough. I will check this tomorrow.

But as bad as the breaks have looked, I think it will be an improvement. All shoes were smooth as a baby's bottom.:nabble_smiley_happy:

20230903_101137.jpg.afc39ca7edc387cce69c49932d1a130d.jpg

Also both cylinders were leaking...and the drums...

20230903_100529.jpg.de0fd6f0fec8a5ca99c2fe427a49af94.jpg

Thanks!

I don't know by now. I've done a test drive yesterday evening. It seems that there is still some air left inside the system.

Or maybe I haven't set the adjuster far enough. I will check this tomorrow.

But as bad as the breaks have looked, I think it will be an improvement. All shoes were smooth as a baby's bottom.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Also both cylinders were leaking...and the drums...

My way of adjusting rear brakes is to tighten the adjuster until the shoes start to drag, then bang the backing plate with a rubber hammer to center the shoes and tighten some more. Repeat until you can't turn the wheel and back off 10 clicks.

That gives the preset and then, if it is working, the auto adjusters should kick in when you back up.

My way of adjusting rear brakes is to tighten the adjuster until the shoes start to drag, then bang the backing plate with a rubber hammer to center the shoes and tighten some more. Repeat until you can't turn the wheel and back off 10 clicks.

That gives the preset and then, if it is working, the auto adjusters should kick in when you back up.

Thanks Gary, I'll try this way.

By now I've got the air out of the system, I think. The rear and the front breaks are independent, as far as I know, so I don't have to bleed the front breaks.

Breaks are done and I've got the TÜV last Saturday. The rear breaks got 300kN...

So as I wanted to get back to my center console, last Friday my CJ7s HEI distributor gets defective...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I have bought it 2019 and it lasts only 9,000 miles...I'm very exited what the shop will tell me, where I've bought it...very bad quality...

Now I have to solve this before...

Breaks are done and I've got the TÜV last Saturday. The rear breaks got 300kN...

So as I wanted to get back to my center console, last Friday my CJ7s HEI distributor gets defective...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I have bought it 2019 and it lasts only 9,000 miles...I'm very exited what the shop will tell me, where I've bought it...very bad quality...

Now I have to solve this before...

Glad the brakes worked out. Does the Bronco stop better now?

As for the HEI, there are lots of stories about modules made in China that fail quickly. But the module itself should be easily replaced. At least here most parts stores carry them.

Glad the brakes worked out. Does the Bronco stop better now?

As for the HEI, there are lots of stories about modules made in China that fail quickly. But the module itself should be easily replaced. At least here most parts stores carry them.

Yes, it stops much better now. Also the squiking noise seems to be gone. So it may also came from the rear breaks, not from the front. There is still a feeling, that something is wobbling when standing on the break pedal, but it may be only imagination...

About the HEI, I'm with you. Same story as we've told back again. I'll see what the shop will try to sell me. But all this is a very bad development about quality and durability.

Yes, it stops much better now. Also the squiking noise seems to be gone. So it may also came from the rear breaks, not from the front. There is still a feeling, that something is wobbling when standing on the break pedal, but it may be only imagination...

About the HEI, I'm with you. Same story as we've told back again. I'll see what the shop will try to sell me. But all this is a very bad development about quality and durability.

That's one of the big reasons many of us aren't high on HEI conversions. There's too much junk out there. The good HEI modules are great, but if you can't get a good one...

It’s interesting that you say that. I sometimes notice wobble on braking in my 92 Bronco. Then I won’t notice it for awhile.

I feel it in the pedal.

I’ve just assumed the rotors need turned or replaced.

It’s interesting that you say that. I sometimes notice wobble on braking in my 92 Bronco. Then I won’t notice it for awhile.

I feel it in the pedal.

I’ve just assumed the rotors need turned or replaced.

Yes, that was also my thought, as changing the pads on the front breaks. But honestly I've forgotten this over time and the other problems I'd to solve.

So, for next year the front breaks have to be replaced. Rotors, calipers, pads and hoses.

I also have an already nicely painted master cylinder, that I will also mount in this step.