Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

Hmm...ok so it seems to be more uncommon...:nabble_smiley_uh:

I have mounted the thicker one to the back, connected to the parking brake cable.

Left side is thicker...I hope you can see it...

I can see your photo, but I don't understand it. :nabble_anim_crazy:

The pads should all be finished to a single arc matching nominal drum diameter.

Having short friction at the top of the front shoe is intrinsic to how servo brakes function.

That shoe needs to shift forward off the pivot when pushed by the wheel cylinder.

Brake shoes should come as two pairs.

Having short friction at the top of the front shoe is intrinsic to how servo brakes function.

That shoe needs to shift forward off the pivot when pushed by the wheel cylinder.

Ok...it looks exactly like before the change...only that the parts are new...

Yes, they are packed as pairs. One thick and one thin...

I have got 320 kN at the test bench...

• 2 weeks later...

So as my rear breaks are jerking, I've take a closer look today. What should I say...the shoes are not the real problem. The problem was myself and also the drums!

First, I have mounted the shoes in the wrong way. The rear pad is the thinner one.

Yes, it's true! The pads having not only a different length, they're also differnt in thickness.

I have changed it!

While starting to re-mount the drums, I've noticed, that the drums don't center on the hubs...

By searching and measuring the inner diameter, I've found out that there are two differnt inner diameters are available!

3.44" (that's what I've bought)

2.87" (that's what I need!)

The most manufacturers even don't show this diameter in their technical description. So I only found the DURAGO BD8951 that will fit.

As currently needing the Bronco for driving to work, I have searched a way to center the wrong drums.

Here is how I've fixed it:

20231008_134318.jpg.529b343691fe511614470d4924610937.jpg

20231008_134531.jpg.d7af1fa5ee767514cdfa06360db8ad1f.jpg

The drums aren't jerking anymore. And also the deep sound while driving isn't there anymore. The interesting thing is, that also the former owner has mounted the wrong drums...so I have had any suspect while mounting the new ones...:nabble_smiley_what:

I've orderes the correct drums now...what a journey!

So as my rear breaks are jerking, I've take a closer look today. What should I say...the shoes are not the real problem. The problem was myself and also the drums!

First, I have mounted the shoes in the wrong way. The rear pad is the thinner one.

Yes, it's true! The pads having not only a different length, they're also differnt in thickness.

I have changed it!

While starting to re-mount the drums, I've noticed, that the drums don't center on the hubs...

By searching and measuring the inner diameter, I've found out that there are two differnt inner diameters are available!

3.44" (that's what I've bought)

2.87" (that's what I need!)

The most manufacturers even don't show this diameter in their technical description. So I only found the DURAGO BD8951 that will fit.

As currently needing the Bronco for driving to work, I have searched a way to center the wrong drums.

Here is how I've fixed it:

The drums aren't jerking anymore. And also the deep sound while driving isn't there anymore. The interesting thing is, that also the former owner has mounted the wrong drums...so I have had any suspect while mounting the new ones...:nabble_smiley_what:

I've orderes the correct drums now...what a journey!

Wow! That's a good find, and should make a huge difference.

How did you center the brake drum? It looks like you used some kind of sleeves to secure the drum and probably spun the axle and played with it until it looked like you had it centered. Then put the wheel on and cinch the nuts down. Right?

How did you center the brake drum? It looks like you used some kind of sleeves to secure the drum and probably spun the axle and played with it until it looked like you had it centered. Then put the wheel on and cinch the nuts down. Right?

Yes, I've used a pipe that had the correct outer diameter to fit inside the holes of the drum. I drilled the pipe, after cutting three pieces of it to the correct inner diameter to fit over the wheel bolts. I used three of it to get the drum centered as best as possible.

But this is not a real solution. I will oder the correct drums form rockauto.com for my hubs.

I also have to add the turn signal switch, cause the one I've already got was also wrong...I've a tilt able steering wheel (what I've not known before) and ordered a switch for a non-tilt able one...:nabble_smiley_cry:

I've reclaimed the missing description at rockauto.com. only two drums tells the size of the hub hole...I've got the wrong one for my hub...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Screenshot_20231009_220145_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0205ca465c6bfcb8e27a748dd281029c.jpg

This one with a hub hole diameter of 2.87" will fit to my hub:

Screenshot_20231009_220207_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc9963c4dd7b08a20f5c7b42c3388659.jpg

I hope rockauto.com will send my money back. My way to center the wrong drums is more amateur than professional.

I've reclaimed the missing description at rockauto.com. only two drums tells the size of the hub hole...I've got the wrong one for my hub...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

This one with a hub hole diameter of 2.87" will fit to my hub:

I hope rockauto.com will send my money back. My way to center the wrong drums is more amateur than professional.

Hope they send the money back. But in any event you are on the right track. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hope they send the money back. But in any event you are on the right track. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary.

But do you think I can stay with the current, wrong drums?

Not only the hub hole differs...also the size of the break surface is 0.1" larger at the correct drums...and the height differs...

I can turn an adapter plate...but I don't know if this is the right way...

Thanks Gary.

But do you think I can stay with the current, wrong drums?

Not only the hub hole differs...also the size of the break surface is 0.1" larger at the correct drums...and the height differs...

I can turn an adapter plate...but I don't know if this is the right way...

On something as critical as brakes, and on a vehicle you've spent a lot of money on getting "right", I wouldn't mess around with adapters. Get the right drums.

Today is a good day. Rockauto.com has answered. As they are writing in German, I've used Google translator:

"Good day,

We're sorry you're having a problem with your order. You have discovered an error in our catalog. Since the problem is our fault, we would like to offer you a full refund for the cost of the goods and associated shipping costs.

We will update our catalogs for this drum set, thanks to your help.

We will issue a refund without a return within the next 3 business days. We will email you once the refund has been issued.

We apologize for the inconvenience.":nabble_anim_claps: