Bullnose Forums

Carb jetting

Good Evening everyone, random question for you all. For a stock 351ho, what should the jetting be on the carb? Has anyone put a 600 Edelbrock on a stock 351 and found out the correct jet size and needle size? I'm looking to get a carb from National Carburetors and I thought if I knew what it should have versus what it comes with stock, I might be able to have them set it up and get it really close for me. According to them, they said it comes with .098 primaries, .095 secondaries and 075x.047 metering rods. Any help is appreciated

I don't know what jets the Holley would have had, but I ran a stock Edelbrock 1406 on a 351W and it ran fine. Stock they do have .098" primary jets, .075" x .047" needles, and yellow (4") springs.

Thank you Gary for your help. Did you have to run a fuel pressure regulator? I have the over 8500 gvw fuel pump that has the return. I don't know if they put out too much fuel pressure stock.

Thank you Gary for your help. Did you have to run a fuel pressure regulator? I have the over 8500 gvw fuel pump that has the return. I don't know if they put out too much fuel pressure stock.

I didn't have your setup so didn't have to run a regulator. But the Edelbrocks are a bit less tolerant of high pressure than the Holleys are. They don't like over 6 psi or their needles might leak and cause the fuel level in the carb to go high. I've never had that, but supposedly the issue mainly happens at idle since the fuel requirement is minimal, and the result is that the idle mix gets rich.

So you can try it and see what happens. If you have idle problems then add the regulator.

I didn't have your setup so didn't have to run a regulator. But the Edelbrocks are a bit less tolerant of high pressure than the Holleys are. They don't like over 6 psi or their needles might leak and cause the fuel level in the carb to go high. I've never had that, but supposedly the issue mainly happens at idle since the fuel requirement is minimal, and the result is that the idle mix gets rich.

So you can try it and see what happens. If you have idle problems then add the regulator.

You cant go by what someone else is running as they could be on top of a MT. and you below sea level.

Also unless you have a AFR gauge it will be a guessing game what you are running.

My 300 six runs great but with the AFR gauge I know it is running rich and can be leaned out just a bit.

I just been to lazy to do it :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----

You cant go by what someone else is running as they could be on top of a MT. and you below sea level.

Also unless you have a AFR gauge it will be a guessing game what you are running.

My 300 six runs great but with the AFR gauge I know it is running rich and can be leaned out just a bit.

I just been to lazy to do it :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----

Happy Sunday to everyone and thank you all for your help. I ordered my 1406 Edelbrock from National Carburetors and it should be here Wednesday. I also ordered a tuning kit so I will be prepared to make adjustments if need be. I have an inline fuel pressure gauge that I need to install to see what kind of fuel pressure I'm pushing. It also looks like I have a factory wire for my electric choke too on my truck. Will it be sufficient to use for this carburetor? The ground side of the choke, would I just ground that to the base of the carb? I'm just trying to get this truck right now that it's now my daily driver and I want to squeeze as much mpg's out of it as I can. I currently think I'm around 5, 10-12 would be better and I wouldn't expect more than that with 4.10s.

Happy Sunday to everyone and thank you all for your help. I ordered my 1406 Edelbrock from National Carburetors and it should be here Wednesday. I also ordered a tuning kit so I will be prepared to make adjustments if need be. I have an inline fuel pressure gauge that I need to install to see what kind of fuel pressure I'm pushing. It also looks like I have a factory wire for my electric choke too on my truck. Will it be sufficient to use for this carburetor? The ground side of the choke, would I just ground that to the base of the carb? I'm just trying to get this truck right now that it's now my daily driver and I want to squeeze as much mpg's out of it as I can. I currently think I'm around 5, 10-12 would be better and I wouldn't expect more than that with 4.10s.

The wire to the choke should be white with a black stripe, as shown in the schematic below from the 1986 EVTM. That wire comes from the choke relay, which is pulled in by the alternator. So as soon as the engine starts the relay should close and provide battery voltage to the choke, and that will work perfectly.

And taking the ground wire to the carb mounting bolt, or even a screw on the carb, will work fine.

Out of the box I think you'll be between 10 and 12 MPG, depending on how you drive. These trucks are not aerodynamic in any way, so anything about 65 MPH is causing serious drag. And with your 4.10s and no overdrive you'll be spinning the engine pretty rapidly, which doesn't help.

I ran a stock 1406 on my 460 at one point and it did well, so I'm sure you'll like yours.

7802701_orig.thumb.jpg.4d0051193eb263c12f8f99581182fce9.jpg

The wire to the choke should be white with a black stripe, as shown in the schematic below from the 1986 EVTM. That wire comes from the choke relay, which is pulled in by the alternator. So as soon as the engine starts the relay should close and provide battery voltage to the choke, and that will work perfectly.

And taking the ground wire to the carb mounting bolt, or even a screw on the carb, will work fine.

Out of the box I think you'll be between 10 and 12 MPG, depending on how you drive. These trucks are not aerodynamic in any way, so anything about 65 MPH is causing serious drag. And with your 4.10s and no overdrive you'll be spinning the engine pretty rapidly, which doesn't help.

I ran a stock 1406 on my 460 at one point and it did well, so I'm sure you'll like yours.

I have a 1406 on my Bronco 351w. I am at about 4000ft altitude but I have the carb set as stock apart from the springs which I am cycling through at the moment. I am getting 10mpg.

I have a 1406 on my Bronco 351w. I am at about 4000ft altitude but I have the carb set as stock apart from the springs which I am cycling through at the moment. I am getting 10mpg.

I'm at sea level so I'll see how it acts when I put it on and adjust if I have to. I found a carb adjustment chart with numbers that corresponds to what changes need to be done (needle, springs, jets) to achieve the best performance throughout the rpms. It will be my first time really diving into a carb and I'm excited to see how good I can dial it in.

11791-811728eba9fd921fbdc5652129f72c95.jpg.8aeb69f993968faf53bd87e6c86a51b8.jpg

11792-e33ab6f5c9ca003ef7a60b988e904ea2.jpg.90b33111908969273f79c066039594b1.jpg

I'm just trying to get this truck right now that it's now my daily driver and I want to squeeze as much mpg's out of it as I can. I currently think I'm around 5, 10-12 would be better and I wouldn't expect more than that with 4.10s.

I am curious as to why you chose to get an Edelbrock over a stock replacement carburetor?

The Motorcraft 4180 carburetor your truck came with is the most precise carburetor Ford ever built, and is the same carburetor the mighty Mustang GT used from 1983 - 1985.