Bullnose Forums

How To Install Sliding Window "Divider Bars"?

TJmac has no divider bars on his sliding rear window so can't lock the window closed. And it'll leak in the rain. I have a pair of them, as shown below, and they came off the spare sliding window I have quite easily. But they left behind what looks like a plastic "U" that is adhered to the glass and is NOT coming off.

I can't find that "U" in the catalog, nor can I find a mention of it in the shop manual, although maybe I'm missing something. The glass measures .130" and the channel measures .120". So what might he use to attach the dividers to the glass?

I'm going to tag several people that I think might have suggestions, but please give us your thoughts even if you aren't tagged.

Sliding_Window_Dividers.thumb.jpg.79dc2cdffc080247de15e477ccf41fba.jpg

Not to be captain obvious, but we're sure that the existing windows are stock or at least OEM? Not that I have much experience, but I have seen aftermarket sliding windows as an upgrade for plain windows.

Good question, but other than the radio and tires/wheels having been changed out this thing is pretty much stock. It is a very well optioned base level with A/C, speed control, underhood light, gauges not idiot lights, bumperettes, and even auto-locking front hubs. So I'm pretty sure that the rear window is from the factory as it looks just like the one on Big Blue.

I'm wondering if some adhesive squirted into the dividers might do. Maybe an epoxy? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I would just use some clear silicone Gary. They'll never come off again, even if you want them to;). Trick is to get the right amount...

I'd probably over do it just a little and wipe off the excess.

Interesting, Cory. I wouldn't have thought that RTV would hold it. But TJ just bought a new mirror glass for the right outside mirror and it was mounted with RTV. So maybe it holds well?

Cool! Thanks. That should be easy and even if he doesn't get all of it off it won't be obvious. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, you're not going to send him that crappy plastic latch (are you?!? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

CRL Dvl2 is under $10 and you can Amazon Prime it there if they are in your addresses.... 💡

Silicone will be fine.

Thoroughly clean with isopropyl alcohol first, and make sure it doesn't get squished into the tracks...

Gary, you're not going to send him that crappy plastic latch (are you?!? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

CRL Dvl2 is under $10 and you can Amazon Prime it there if they are in your addresses.... 💡

Silicone will be fine.

Thoroughly clean with isopropyl alcohol first, and make sure it doesn't get squished into the tracks...

Ok, two votes for silicone. Sounds good to me. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - You are spoiling my surprise, although TJ probably wouldn't have known the difference. The metal CRL latch will be here Friday, and I'll install it before sending the package. :nabble_smiley_wink:

When I cleaned the plastic latch up it was wobbly, so I knew it wasn't long for this world and ordered the CRL one. Easy peasy as it was in my Orders/Returns list since I have one on Big Blue 'cause the plastic one did as all of them do and broke off.

Ok, two votes for silicone. Sounds good to me. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - You are spoiling my surprise, although TJ probably wouldn't have known the difference. The metal CRL latch will be here Friday, and I'll install it before sending the package. :nabble_smiley_wink:

When I cleaned the plastic latch up it was wobbly, so I knew it wasn't long for this world and ordered the CRL one. Easy peasy as it was in my Orders/Returns list since I have one on Big Blue 'cause the plastic one did as all of them do and broke off.

He would know the difference about a week after he installed the latch bars! :nabble_smiley_hurt: :nabble_smiley_angry:

I can see why you'd want to do it 'in house'

I can't imagine how valuable I've found that thing over the years since I changed it out.

Not to be captain obvious, but we're sure that the existing windows are stock or at least OEM? Not that I have much experience, but I have seen aftermarket sliding windows as an upgrade for plain windows.

Larry, you can tell the difference from a factory slider because the factory one goes all the way into the gasket (groove is maybe 9/16"?)

Aftermarket sliders (like my CRL) have a flange that fits the stock single glazed gasket.

He would know the difference about a week after he installed the latch bars! :nabble_smiley_hurt: :nabble_smiley_angry:

I can see why you'd want to do it 'in house'

I can't imagine how valuable I've found that thing over the years since I changed it out.

Yep, I'm sure he would have found out how weak the plastic latches are quite quickly. I was expecting it to break off as I cleaned it.

What happened with us was that one of us reached back and used the plastic latch to pull the window closed. But the latch came off immediately. Unfortunately we were on a trip and had to figure a way to latch it for the rest of the trip. It wasn't easy but it worked.