Bullnose Forums

81 F-250 Update

todd121

Hey Yall just checking back in, I have finally gotten started on my 81. didn't take any pictures today but I have been fighting rusted/ seized bed bolts. I got through one completely before I burned up my old angle grinder. the first bolt also didn't fall all the way through so I am going to have to work on that the next time I work on it. I don't have access to a welder but does anyone have suggestions on how to tackle this more efficiently? (this is my first big car project to any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that sure is like looking in a mirror. Aside from the cargo tie-downs that's basically my exact truck. Do you know what month it was manufactured? Wondering if you still have slide locks like I do.

I've got nothing helpful to add on the bolts, though. I've had luck with drilling bolts out using carbide drill bits, it takes some time (cutting fluid helps) but if you center-punch your bolt heads accurately and step up from small (1/8"0) to large sizes it only really takes 20 minutes per head or so. That works for replacing riveted parts too like ball joints on control arms on some cars. Hopefully one of the gurus here has a better tip...

Well that sure is like looking in a mirror. Aside from the cargo tie-downs that's basically my exact truck. Do you know what month it was manufactured? Wondering if you still have slide locks like I do.

I've got nothing helpful to add on the bolts, though. I've had luck with drilling bolts out using carbide drill bits, it takes some time (cutting fluid helps) but if you center-punch your bolt heads accurately and step up from small (1/8"0) to large sizes it only really takes 20 minutes per head or so. That works for replacing riveted parts too like ball joints on control arms on some cars. Hopefully one of the gurus here has a better tip...

The doors are replacements but the cuts for the slide locks are still there. Its a Canadian built truck Door code is dated at 01/81

I agree that w/o a welder that drilling the heads of the bolts out is the best. Some have used a nut splitter but I don't have one of those. Others have said they've had success with getting vise grips on the heads but I wasn't successful doing that either.

I agree that w/o a welder that drilling the heads of the bolts out is the best. Some have used a nut splitter but I don't have one of those. Others have said they've had success with getting vise grips on the heads but I wasn't successful doing that either.

Ah I didn't even know a nut splitter was a thing, im going to pick one up after work hopefully I can get most of them off with that, I know space it a little tight on the frame so I may still have to grind those once I get a new cut off wheel.

So I got the nut splitter, I think it's going to work but I didn't have a ton of time to work on it when I got home tonight. I got the head to pull through where I cut off the head with the angle grinder yesterday but they were still to big to pull through the frame, What im thinking is if I can't get them all to bust I can get all of the bolts to pull through to give a little more room on the bottom side to get in there with a grinder/ saws all. I also considered pulling all of the bolts through then jacking up the bed a little bit to hit the nuts in-between the frame rails and the bottom of the bed as to not worry about the clearance issues of the sas all/angle grinder. Thoughts?

So I got the nut splitter, I think it's going to work but I didn't have a ton of time to work on it when I got home tonight. I got the head to pull through where I cut off the head with the angle grinder yesterday but they were still to big to pull through the frame, What im thinking is if I can't get them all to bust I can get all of the bolts to pull through to give a little more room on the bottom side to get in there with a grinder/ saws all. I also considered pulling all of the bolts through then jacking up the bed a little bit to hit the nuts in-between the frame rails and the bottom of the bed as to not worry about the clearance issues of the sas all/angle grinder. Thoughts?

If I understand what you are saying correctly then getting the heads to pull through the bed so you can lift the bed up a bit might give you room to use a sawzall. The bed isn't really very heavy and you should be able to lift one end and have someone put spacers between it and the frame.

If I understand what you are saying correctly then getting the heads to pull through the bed so you can lift the bed up a bit might give you room to use a sawzall. The bed isn't really very heavy and you should be able to lift one end and have someone put spacers between it and the frame.

I was thinking about that, Yes basically put space between the bed and the frame, Just something where I can get in and get a better angle on the bolt itself to cut it off.

Well after way too many hours with a cutoff wheel I got the bed free today at about 7. didn't get a chance to get the bed off but should have it off this weekend to start cleaning up the frame and prep it for the rust converter.