Bullnose Forums

L'il Blue '83 F150 4x4

There's a rumor that a mobile mechanic is planning to visit TJ and family around Christmas. :nabble_smiley_wink: So this post is to document what projects we might do as well as the tools & parts needed.

I've sent TJ a link to the document so he can update it with projects, and I'll update it with tools that we might need. And I've tagged him to this post as well.

But if any of y'all have suggestions as well please chime in. :nabble_waving_orig:

Gary- remind me how to access the editable version of the word document you embedded above? Looking forward to your visit- I've finally got a good list of what I want to try and get done!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never mind- got it!

Looks like you got in, alright. I see the edits. We are in Owasso but will do some edits myself when we get home. May resort to colors to keep things straight.

Bringing the seat from Big Blue as the other one I have is UGLY. And lots of other things. So we need to have a priority list as there will be lots to do. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you got in, alright. I see the edits. We are in Owasso but will do some edits myself when we get home. May resort to colors to keep things straight.

Bringing the seat from Big Blue as the other one I have is UGLY. And lots of other things. So we need to have a priority list as there will be lots to do. :nabble_smiley_evil:

The loading has begun. Originally the plan was to put Big Blue's seat, with the back off the bottom, in the bed. But that took up most of the bed and left us with very little room to put the presents that Santa is sending, so the plan changed to put the seat in the rear seat section of the cab. Turns out that the dimensions are TIGHT!

Here's a shot of the head of the rod that goes across the bottom of the back in relation to the plastic trim on Blue. And the other side was the same. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Right_Side_With_Metal_Close_To_Blue.jpg.d4dbdface9cdb447db030472a95a9e47.jpg

So two pieces of old heater hose cut to 3/4" long protects the plastic and creates a press fit. And the seat is well and truly loaded, as shown below.

Left_Side_Of_Seat_in_Blue.jpg.9ce49e4a26c2715427f97bd3b7d1537c.jpgRight_Side_Of_Seat_in_Blue.jpg.3e0471f13df3e61b676756708c578d38.jpg

Big_Blues_Seat_Loaded_in_Blue_for_Lil_Blue.jpg.bba84aadff0587dd12d1a1f7d2f22654.jpg

The loading has begun. Originally the plan was to put Big Blue's seat, with the back off the bottom, in the bed. But that took up most of the bed and left us with very little room to put the presents that Santa is sending, so the plan changed to put the seat in the rear seat section of the cab. Turns out that the dimensions are TIGHT!

Here's a shot of the head of the rod that goes across the bottom of the back in relation to the plastic trim on Blue. And the other side was the same. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So two pieces of old heater hose cut to 3/4" long protects the plastic and creates a press fit. And the seat is well and truly loaded, as shown below.

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Head 'em up, move 'em on

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Rawhide!

Have a safe trip. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Enjoy your family and setting Lil Blue straight this holiday.

Have a safe trip. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Enjoy your family and setting Lil Blue straight this holiday.

Thanks! Not sure what all we are going to do, but I'm ready for a lot of things including installing the new steering box, installing the seat and repairing the nuts in the floor, installing a rear window, installing a Bullnose steering wheel, maybe replacing the master cylinder, & adjusting the carb.

But there's also the concern about the floor. Apparently it is rusted and covered with a sheetmetal piece, as shown below. But TJ mentioned that there's more damage than we thought and was asking about welding in floor pans. However he's not welded before and doesn't own a welder, so I suggested that we glue floor pans in if we do that as learning to weld on rusty body panels isn't something I'd recommend. We shall see what he has planned.

IMG_7255.jpeg.aabb3a0051d17284d4418aa45bd9af6f.jpeg

Thanks! Not sure what all we are going to do, but I'm ready for a lot of things including installing the new steering box, installing the seat and repairing the nuts in the floor, installing a rear window, installing a Bullnose steering wheel, maybe replacing the master cylinder, & adjusting the carb.

But there's also the concern about the floor. Apparently it is rusted and covered with a sheetmetal piece, as shown below. But TJ mentioned that there's more damage than we thought and was asking about welding in floor pans. However he's not welded before and doesn't own a welder, so I suggested that we glue floor pans in if we do that as learning to weld on rusty body panels isn't something I'd recommend. We shall see what he has planned.

I saw you suggested glue. 💡

Welding rusty sheet metal just makes more holes.

Looks like he'll need that outer floor tip down to the flange, that Tabco doesn't make. (Raybuck is ok, but it's not galvanized or annealed)

Hopefully the seat support Z strips are okay.

Zirconia flap discs are on sale at Horrid Fate.

You'll certainly need a few to get a good bite.