Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 door locks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum! You told me via email that you are in Utah, right? I understand the salvages in the west are good places to look. But, from the page on Door Locks (which you can get to via the navigation menu on the left by going to Interior/Doors/Door Locks) can you tell if you have any of the linkage?

So just for clarification, you are looking for the door latch/locking mechanism for a 80/81 truck with slide locks? 21812 in the diagram:

IMG_4382.jpg.6a6a9acc4e88e9b4575d200c65b9b862.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg.5159b838fb56b69421d6f353a2a022c7.jpg

How soon do you need them? I have a 1981 F150 with slide locks that I will be converting to pin locks. I already purchased the pin lock parts, I just need to find time to install them. If you are not in a huge rush I will be more than happy to let you have the slide lock parts that come out of my truck for the price of shipping them to you. Do you need the rods and linkages as well? I assume mine has them, but I have not opened up the doors. All I know is that the plastics slide locks themselves are missing and as neat and unique as they are I just don't feel like messing with that style of lock.

So just for clarification, you are looking for the door latch/locking mechanism for a 80/81 truck with slide locks? 21812 in the diagram:How soon do you need them? I have a 1981 F150 with slide locks that I will be converting to pin locks. I already purchased the pin lock parts, I just need to find time to install them. If you are not in a huge rush I will be more than happy to let you have the slide lock parts that come out of my truck for the price of shipping them to you. Do you need the rods and linkages as well? I assume mine has them, but I have not opened up the doors. All I know is that the plastics slide locks themselves are missing and as neat and unique as they are I just don't feel like messing with that style of lock.

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Yes. I am not sure what 21812 in the diagram is showing. I just need the whole lock like where your keys go to unlock that. 

The lock cylinder itself where the key goes is separate from the door latch and is connected by a rod. The key cylinder and new key is the same between slide locks and pin locks and is readily available from most car parts stores. The door latch that all the rods connect to is unique for slide locks. If you need that I have them. It is the block with toothed cams that holds the door shut.

One thing I did for my truck last year is make my door lock cylinders (21984) the same as my ignition key.

I ordered the Standard Automotive Products DL-3 from Amazon for ~$13 (pair) and changed the pins over so I only need the ignition key now.

Bill borrowed my pin set to rekey some Chrysler locks as well...

If you don't want everything keyed the same you can just install them as they come from the box.

The set comes with 2 keys that work with the locks in the package.

This kit comes with flimsy retainer clips (28023) and rubber gaskets for the cylinder flange.

Word of warning: Be very careful with the plastic clip that retains the rod. (21970)

They get brittle with age, and I had to find a Dorman/HELP! replacement.

Taden - 21812 is the door lock mechanism, as shown in blue below. It sits inside the door and contacts the striker bolt that is mounted to the door post. If your doors latch shut then you have 21812. And if you can open them from the outside and inside then you have the linkages connecting to the outside and inside door handles.

Didn't I tell you these folks could help you better than just emailing me. 😉

IMG_0440.thumb.png.0702fb28e4be00dd70e70f1ceb3b348d.png

• 2 weeks later...

So just for clarification, you are looking for the door latch/locking mechanism for a 80/81 truck with slide locks? 21812 in the diagram:

How soon do you need them? I have a 1981 F150 with slide locks that I will be converting to pin locks. I already purchased the pin lock parts, I just need to find time to install them. If you are not in a huge rush I will be more than happy to let you have the slide lock parts that come out of my truck for the price of shipping them to you. Do you need the rods and linkages as well? I assume mine has them, but I have not opened up the doors. All I know is that the plastics slide locks themselves are missing and as neat and unique as they are I just don't feel like messing with that style of lock.

I have number 21812 in both my doors I just need the bars that go to the sliders. Also I need number 431A36 and that bar also the whole locking system from the out side

Taden - 21812 is the door lock mechanism, as shown in blue below. It sits inside the door and contacts the striker bolt that is mounted to the door post. If your doors latch shut then you have 21812. And if you can open them from the outside and inside then you have the linkages connecting to the outside and inside door handles.

Didn't I tell you these folks could help you better than just emailing me. 😉

So I found out what I have in my trucks doors. One side I have the slider and the bar that goes with it. The other one is completely empty. But both the doors have the device that all the bars attach to