Bullnose Forums

Ball joint help

I have an 85 F350 4X4, doing the ball joints.

I Bought Moog because they have had good quality, I installed the new joints but the lower spins when I try to torque it, It doesn't spin in the knuckle but the joint internally spins making it impossible to tighten. I replaced it with another and it does the same. I have done many ball joints and never had this happen on quality ball joints. Any suggestions? I have had this happen on an old worn-out joint and had to cut it out but never when installing ball joints.

Not sure if this is related, but I've seen a lot of people reporting issues with moog lately, not sure if the company changed hands or what. Mevotech is pretty well recommended in the gmt400 world, I've got a set of ball joints and tie rod ends to install on my blazer at some point and they look pretty well made.

Not sure if this is related, but I've seen a lot of people reporting issues with moog lately, not sure if the company changed hands or what. Mevotech is pretty well recommended in the gmt400 world, I've got a set of ball joints and tie rod ends to install on my blazer at some point and they look pretty well made.

And yet when I do a search the first hit is this: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/long-term-lower-ball-joint-test-moog-vs-mevotech.42171/ :nabble_anim_confused:

I used all Moog when I had my front axle and steering redone last March.

Also note that they have different lines of parts. I hope it holds up. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

There's been a LOT of discussion about Chinese metallurgy and quality control. (look at Rene's cam and lifter thread going on right now)

All the big manufacturers source their parts overseas. Timken, SKF, Moog, TRW, whatever..

Everything is made to a price point.

In a perfect world I'd buy Dana/Spicer drive line, steering and suspension components.

Unfortunately they are hard to find and expensive compared to the competition.

And yet when I do a search the first hit is this: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/long-term-lower-ball-joint-test-moog-vs-mevotech.42171/ :nabble_anim_confused:

I used all Moog when I had my front axle and steering redone last March.

Also note that they have different lines of parts. I hope it holds up. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

There's been a LOT of discussion about Chinese metallurgy and quality control. (look at Rene's cam and lifter thread going on right now)

All the big manufacturers source their parts overseas. Timken, SKF, Moog, TRW, whatever..

Everything is made to a price point.

In a perfect world I'd buy Dana/Spicer drive line, steering and suspension components.

Unfortunately they are hard to find and expensive compared to the competition.

Yeah that's a 5 year old thread. The stuff I'm talking about is the last couple of years, but I've yet to see how the one's I bought hold up.

Yeah that's a 5 year old thread. The stuff I'm talking about is the last couple of years, but I've yet to see how the one's I bought hold up.

Well, I'm glad to hear they've stepped up! :nabble_smiley_good:

I remember when they first came on the scene. It's difficult to get out in front of a bad reputation, no matter how good your products have become.

Well, I'm glad to hear they've stepped up! :nabble_smiley_good:

I remember when they first came on the scene. It's difficult to get out in front of a bad reputation, no matter how good your products have become.

I put the jack right under the lower ball joint, it took all the weight to keep it from spinning but I got it. I have never had that happen with ball joints before.

I put the jack right under the lower ball joint, it took all the weight to keep it from spinning but I got it. I have never had that happen with ball joints before.

Happy you finally got it tight! :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a heck of a predicament to be in...