Bullnose Forums

5 Of The Best Engines Ever Put In A Ford Truck

Are you talking about this engine, Jim? And by the way, their dyno testing misses a problem with this setup - lack of low-end torque. I'm here to tell you that engine won't pull below 1500 RPM as that intake/lower plenum wasn't designed for a wet mix. When I changed to port injection from the carb it was like I had a different engine.

Gee, Gary who told you about the issue with the EFI intake?A few interesting items, first go back to the early 80s, Lee Iaccoca, the father of the Mustang, was fired from Ford because he was felt to be getting too powerful and wasn't part of the family. When he was fired, all the projects he was working on were scrapped, one of which was a new, smaller FWD sedan. Iaccoca took the concept with him, but since Chrysler, who promptly hired him, didn't have any decent small engines, neither 4 nor V6, and even their small V8 was a porker compared to the Windsor family, so much so that when Chrysler bought Rootes Group, the 273 was so much bigger and heavier than the 260 it wouldn't begin to fit in the Tiger. First item was to crash program a larger 4 cyl than the 1.7L VW sourced engine for the Omni and Horizon, but smaller and lighter than the Mitsubishi 2.6L. This became the 2.2L, angled back with rear mounted manifolds like the VW and ultimately the 2.5L replacing the Mitsubishi 2.6L in 1986.Iaccoca put together a team of engineers who understood turbocharging and EFI systems, then called in a favor from a friend he had helped out by selling him 260 and 289 V8s for his Southern California hod rods, the AC Cobras. Shelby's crew took the basic Dodge Omni and first raised to compression on the 2.2L engine giving it 110 hp carbureted from 122 ci. Later with further work the 142 hp turbo engine was raised to 172 hp. These Chrysler engineers not only got the power, they made these engines very reliable, one of the tricks was thermo-syphon after cooling of the turbocharger bearing housing. In 1990, Chrysler started using Mitsubishi 3.0L V6s and slowly phased out the turbo engines as a basic "higher output" option on almost every car except the L body (Omni and Horizon), joke was they built one platform with sliding side rails.Fast forward to 1998, Daimler-Benz and Chrysler Merge, Daimler-Chrysler lets most of the engineering staff that made the turbocharged engines super reliable go. Any guess who Ford hired?You can ultimately thank Lee Iacocca and Carrol Shelby for the EcoBoost system, the variable vane turbos on the Powerstrokes (it came out as the VNT on the Chrysler turbos).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may have you outnumbered 10:1 but I am sincerely grateful for our trusty and productive northern neighbors. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Not so fast...are you aware that Canada has massed 90% of its population within 100 miles of the U.S. border?? We must be ever vigilant against the Maple Leaf Menace!

We may have you outnumbered 10:1 but I am sincerely grateful for our trusty and productive northern neighbors. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Not so fast...are you aware that Canada has massed 90% of its population within 100 miles of the U.S. border?? We must be ever vigilant against the Maple Leaf Menace!

Bill - So a chicken farmer and the guy they dreamed up the K-car were responsible for my EcoBoost? :nabble_smiley_oh:

It is a small world in industry. At one time I was on a first-name basis with the "big boys" in SCADA and it was amazing years later to find out where they'd gone. Still in the SCADA industry, but from startups to the likes of HP.

So I can easily follow your story about the auto industry. Not many of one type of ICE engineers, so shuffling them around from one company to another makes a lot of sense. (And I know what the porker was. Why do you think Steve is going 351W? Apparently if the displacement ends in "60" it is thirsty.)

Anyway, I think they got the EB engines "right". No, the exhaust note is dreadful, but the power is awesome.

Matthew - I hadn't thought of that, but I seriously doubt they want to invade. Who would want this place? But if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind. We can have pancakes and pizza.

Bill - So a chicken farmer and the guy they dreamed up the K-car were responsible for my EcoBoost? :nabble_smiley_oh:

It is a small world in industry. At one time I was on a first-name basis with the "big boys" in SCADA and it was amazing years later to find out where they'd gone. Still in the SCADA industry, but from startups to the likes of HP.

So I can easily follow your story about the auto industry. Not many of one type of ICE engineers, so shuffling them around from one company to another makes a lot of sense. (And I know what the porker was. Why do you think Steve is going 351W? Apparently if the displacement ends in "60" it is thirsty.)

Anyway, I think they got the EB engines "right". No, the exhaust note is dreadful, but the power is awesome.

Matthew - I hadn't thought of that, but I seriously doubt they want to invade. Who would want this place? But if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind. We can have pancakes and pizza.

Here's an interesting article highlighting a number of things Bill mentioned about Shelby & Iacocca: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/shelby-the-man-machines-that-beat-the-odds/ss-AA1amJLo?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=73f4bf5852e24feda39c9e68b931f5c4&ei=47#image=1

if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind. We can have pancakes and pizza.

With ham and pineapple??? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That may be a lot of things, and it may be good, but to this someone (who's spent a lifetime enjoying true New Haven style apizza) it's NOT pizza... :nabble_smiley_argh:

And to spice up the mix, here are some more Shelby related pictures:

SFM6S2050, the GT350 I owned for 11 years and collected a number of trophys with.

_66_GT350_2050_004.jpg.a3c49a02a49da24e140f5c5367ed0f14.jpg

_66_GT350_2050_028.jpg.b78fabc34b2c0e74cafce61e6f5a9b54.jpg

_66_GT350_2050_021.jpg.811d3c25af8b68804d1e9a20cd7e3541.jpg

Yes, in the last picture there are two 465 cfm Holley four barrels under that air filter.

Now for some action shots:

BVose-03.thumb.jpg.f90202694509604583091cb16668068c.jpg

BVose-01.thumb.jpg.702721b24c39a3327b4d7dea41d4101e.jpg

BVose-05.thumb.jpg.25bbfb0bbbb4316edf16a996b15f41be.jpg

The first 2 were taken on the runways at Suffolk VA airfield at an SCCA SoloII event, fast enough I was into 4th on one portion. first one is rounding "Corvette Corner", named because 19 of the first 20 cars spun on it (#20 was another Shelby), second one is entering the slalom after Corvette Corner, note the attitude of the front, it was rasied from the power as I was in 2nd with all 8 barrels open. 3rd one is a parking lot autocross behind a now gone shopping center.

And now, what it currently looks like fully restored to the "as built" condition:

278579910_449923896906610_5494737039166613570_n.thumb.jpg.0e2cc0e9bc54a03b330fdb9fb7292a16.jpg

Here it was as the page head picture on the Facebook United '64 1/2 - '73 Mustang Enthusiasts International Forum hosted by Shasta Mustang Supply:

Shasta_Mustang_page_11-12-2019.thumb.jpg.7910034b66241a8820a9c9d297ff1f9c.jpg

And to spice up the mix, here are some more Shelby related pictures:

SFM6S2050, the GT350 I owned for 11 years and collected a number of trophys with.

Yes, in the last picture there are two 465 cfm Holley four barrels under that air filter.

Now for some action shots:

The first 2 were taken on the runways at Suffolk VA airfield at an SCCA SoloII event, fast enough I was into 4th on one portion. first one is rounding "Corvette Corner", named because 19 of the first 20 cars spun on it (#20 was another Shelby), second one is entering the slalom after Corvette Corner, note the attitude of the front, it was rasied from the power as I was in 2nd with all 8 barrels open. 3rd one is a parking lot autocross behind a now gone shopping center.

And now, what it currently looks like fully restored to the "as built" condition:

Here it was as the page head picture on the Facebook United '64 1/2 - '73 Mustang Enthusiasts International Forum hosted by Shasta Mustang Supply:

Beautiful car, Bill. I'll bet you miss it.

Is that you driving it in the picture?

Hahaha...I forgot about this statistic...lol. Is it still even true today? I live 330 miles EAST of the closest USA border crossing (That's the town of Calais, Maine).

Gary, did you mention bacon and maple syrup?...haha. I'm planning to grab some super thick and smokey bacon from a local deli on Friday after work!

It seems the super Canadian thing these days is poutine...and it's out of control now lol. There are now 500 flavors and everybody sells a version. It was a unique treat at one time, but now...not so much. I don't really even eat the stuff.

Beautiful car, Bill. I'll bet you miss it.

Is that you driving it in the picture?

Yes, in all of them, I was driving. BTW, picture as it sits now, is from the current owner, located in Sydney NSW Australia.

Yes, I miss it, but it was a case of 3 kids and needing the money.