Bullnose Forums

5 Of The Best Engines Ever Put In A Ford Truck

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say they're each iconic.

And, yes. I do have my bias to an engine series that isn't featured.

Maybe 30 years from now the public will reminisce about the Coyote and Godzilla engines?

Maybe they will smite all internal combustion engines?

I'd have to say they're each iconic.And, yes. I do have my bias to an engine series that isn't featured.Maybe 30 years from now the public will reminisce about the Coyote and Godzilla engines?Maybe they will smite all internal combustion engines?
Are you talking about this engine, Jim? And by the way, their dyno testing misses a problem with this setup - lack of low-end torque. I'm here to tell you that engine won't pull below 1500 RPM as that intake/lower plenum wasn't designed for a wet mix. When I changed to port injection from the carb it was like I had a different engine.

Are you talking about this engine, Jim? And by the way, their dyno testing misses a problem with this setup - lack of low-end torque. I'm here to tell you that engine won't pull below 1500 RPM as that intake/lower plenum wasn't designed for a wet mix. When I changed to port injection from the carb it was like I had a different engine.

The whole series (370, 429, 460) but I see the article only showcases the 351 and not the 289/5.0, so.... :nabble_anim_confused:The EFI lower plenum certainly doesn't offer any low end compared to the 'restrictive' dual plane with heated floor found under the carbed models.460's were in 2wd automatic pickups starting by the mid '70's but went on hiatus in '79 while the 400 was tasked with heavy lifting.They returned for '83 and ran out after '97.(We did get external balanced engines with the D9TE block!)Id like to see production numbers if you include the 370 & 429 which were never found in pickups but in millions and millions of medium duty trucks throughout that time.In stock truck form these engines aren't hugely impressive on paper, but like the 300-6 they rumbled along quietly doing their job and shrugging off abuse.It must be hard to pick "the 5 best". At least this author seemed to give it more thought than the last of these articles posted here.

The whole series (370, 429, 460) but I see the article only showcases the 351 and not the 289/5.0, so.... :nabble_anim_confused:

The EFI lower plenum certainly doesn't offer any low end compared to the 'restrictive' dual plane with heated floor found under the carbed models.

460's were in 2wd automatic pickups starting by the mid '70's but went on hiatus in '79 while the 400 was tasked with heavy lifting.

They returned for '83 and ran out after '97.

(We did get external balanced engines with the D9TE block!)

Id like to see production numbers if you include the 370 & 429 which were never found in pickups but in millions and millions of medium duty trucks throughout that time.

In stock truck form these engines aren't hugely impressive on paper, but like the 300-6 they rumbled along quietly doing their job and shrugging off abuse.

It must be hard to pick "the 5 best". At least this author seemed to give it more thought than the last of these articles posted here.

Yes, this article seems to be a bit better thought through. And the fact that he singled out the 351W and not the 289/5.0 reflects that.

Did some looking for production numbers, and the first place I turned was to Drivingline's A HISTORY OF THE FORD 460, THE BLUE OVAL'S LONGEST-LASTING TRUCK BIG BLOCK V8. Didn't find any production numbers but did see an article entitled THE 1980-1986 FORD F-150 IS AN OVERLOOKED GENERATION OF CLASSIC PICKUP TRUCKS. Really? They sure don't seem to be overlooked on here. :nabble_anim_confused: And it says the diesel came turbo'd. :nabble_smiley_oh: But, it does have the slick graphic below.

ford_f-250_1982_images_1_1280x960.jpg.c56fa3b1088545c5e567326c8cde4ff3.jpg

Interesting... but the author needs a bit of geography knowledge:

«The massive "small block" engine takes its name from the Windsor Engine Plant that birthed it in Windsor, Ohio».

Time to be chauvinistic and get it back on the right track.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

351 Windsor plant is located in Windsor.

Ontario.

Canada.

Hey.

:nabble_smiley_cool:

The Cleveland version of the 351 was made in Cleveland, OH.

USA.

Yep. Our friendly neighbours.

No need to apologize, these things happen.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

«The massive "small block" engine takes its name from the Windsor Engine Plant that birthed it in Windsor, Ohio».

Ontario.

Canada.

Hey.

USA.

Good catch, Jeff. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ontario.

Canada.

Hey.

USA.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: Windsor, Ohio has a population under 2,000.

Jeff, id like to thank your great nation for their contributions to the altar of internal combustion! :nabble_smiley_cool: