Bullnose Forums

It won't stop...I'm helpless!

Thanks for all your sympathy!

In my helplessness, I've additionally ordered a set of lifters from comp cams High Energy Hydraulic Lifters 832-16. Maybe I have more luck using the cam and the lifters from one brand and all bought from summit racing...

If it also fails, I maybe have better chances to get some more compensation from them or from comp cams...

I will do photos and videos during the installation, this time for documenting that I've done nothing wrong.

Let's hope that you do NOT have problems! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

But I think it is wise to document everything. The lube on the cam. The lube on the lifters. Maybe the fact that the lifters rotate. That you pre-lubed the engine by spinning the oil pump before starting. That you ran the engine at 2000 RPM for at least 20 minutes on the first startup. EVERYTHING.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope that you do NOT have problems! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

But I think it is wise to document everything. The lube on the cam. The lube on the lifters. Maybe the fact that the lifters rotate. That you pre-lubed the engine by spinning the oil pump before starting. That you ran the engine at 2000 RPM for at least 20 minutes on the first startup. EVERYTHING.

Thanks Gary, I also hope so...

This time I'll use the lifters also from comp cams. I'll also write them directly about this problem. Maybe I'll get them right for a compensation or something like that...

So I have called the Comp Cams support yesterday.

They promised me, that they currently have no quality problems at all. Last year they had, but the current cams and lifters have a failure rate below 1%.

In hoping that they are right, everything should work fine, when I'm using also the Comp Cams lifters this time...

I mean, how can I find out what fails first and what's only a consequential damage? If some lifters not correctly hardened, the lobe will damage it and make it stuck. If it first stucks, the lobe itself gets damaged.

If the cam is not correctly hardened, the lifter will damage the lobe of the cam and take the ability of the lobe to spin the lifter. Same result as upon...

So, that's my theory...

As I was able to get a small hole with a punch in both defective Comp Cam cams and also in my original 302 cam, I'm assuming, that this may be correct.

Same test with the lifters shows very different results. One of them breaks the tip of my punch...so it seems to be very hard.

I know, that's no exact science, but maybe a hint...I hope it is...

Let's see what the weekend shows up. The parts should arrive on friday...

So I have called the Comp Cams support yesterday.

They promised me, that they currently have no quality problems at all. Last year they had, but the current cams and lifters have a failure rate below 1%.

In hoping that they are right, everything should work fine, when I'm using also the Comp Cams lifters this time...

I mean, how can I find out what fails first and what's only a consequential damage? If some lifters not correctly hardened, the lobe will damage it and make it stuck. If it first stucks, the lobe itself gets damaged.

If the cam is not correctly hardened, the lifter will damage the lobe of the cam and take the ability of the lobe to spin the lifter. Same result as upon...

So, that's my theory...

As I was able to get a small hole with a punch in both defective Comp Cam cams and also in my original 302 cam, I'm assuming, that this may be correct.

Same test with the lifters shows very different results. One of them breaks the tip of my punch...so it seems to be very hard.

I know, that's no exact science, but maybe a hint...I hope it is...

Let's see what the weekend shows up. The parts should arrive on friday...

let's hope this gets sorted out for your sake and for the industry. your test with punch is rough but very similar test to how I measure the casting material for projectiles. the size of the dent in the controlled sample converts to the hardness of the alloy. so long as you have an apples to apples test it can find drastic variations.

let's hope this gets sorted out for your sake and for the industry. your test with punch is rough but very similar test to how I measure the casting material for projectiles. the size of the dent in the controlled sample converts to the hardness of the alloy. so long as you have an apples to apples test it can find drastic variations.

Yes, that was my thought.

But now, I have to wait another week to start (let's hope for the last time).

Summits parcels are in hold by customs clearing...

So I will finish my Buggy over this long weekend...maybe I can fix this construction side.

Especially as the temperatures raises currently here in Germany.

Yes, that was my thought.

But now, I have to wait another week to start (let's hope for the last time).

Summits parcels are in hold by customs clearing...

So I will finish my Buggy over this long weekend...maybe I can fix this construction side.

Especially as the temperatures raises currently here in Germany.

Yesterday the lifters from comp cams have arrived...so as opening the parcel I see this:

20230530_200629.jpg.c35ec9686b47d9c1add25213b030ba53.jpg

I've looked closer at the lifters surface...I don't know, if I'm too careful at this time, but some of them have feelable scratches:

20230531_063949.jpg.a6e8f1472666914f29db377e20fd6c10.jpg

20230531_063931.jpg.9a95104c02a92ed3bc8a33246c49422c.jpg

20230531_063940.jpg.6335b2ca0fe326c2568075f951e065b2.jpg

And this circular pattern I only have seen on lifters that have already run:

20230531_063916.jpg.e2ace9157e6e97379da7033d278d9d3f.jpg

What do you think? Should I use them or not?

Yesterday the lifters from comp cams have arrived...so as opening the parcel I see this:

I've looked closer at the lifters surface...I don't know, if I'm too careful at this time, but some of them have feelable scratches:

And this circular pattern I only have seen on lifters that have already run:

What do you think? Should I use them or not?

So, Summit-Team says I can use them:

"However, based on the pics you included, these should be fine to use."

That was the answer...what do you think?

Man, you are having terrible luck on this! I'm glad that you documented the way you found the lifters and reached out to Summit. But I think I'd reach out to Comp Cams and show them the pics. They may not want you to install them. And if they tell you to use them you should have more comfort than if a vendor tells you.

Rene' the swirl pattern appears to me to be the normal look for a random pattern grinding. If you put a straight edge across them, is there any sort of crown to them (higher in the center)?

On the cam, are the noses ( tip of the lobes) parallel to the centerline of the cam, or do they have a slight slope toward (one side higher than the other) one end of the cam?

Both of these are things we used to look for on new cams and lifters.

Rene' the swirl pattern appears to me to be the normal look for a random pattern grinding. If you put a straight edge across them, is there any sort of crown to them (higher in the center)?

On the cam, are the noses ( tip of the lobes) parallel to the centerline of the cam, or do they have a slight slope toward (one side higher than the other) one end of the cam?

Both of these are things we used to look for on new cams and lifters.

Hi Bill and Gary,

I will call summit later. It's a good idea to let them proof my pics.

I also will do the checks you've told me, Bill and come back later with the results.