Bullnose Forums

It won't stop...I'm helpless!

Yes, the earlier 302's had a different firing order than 351/H.O. 5.0's

The cam seems mild enough. What made you decide to put a stroker crank? More compression?

No...it was an economic decision.

As I've seen that the engine in the bronco I've bought had two bend connection rods and I've checked the cylinders and found one bigger and one smaller piston tipper, I've checked the prices for stock oversize pistons, stock crankshaft, bearings and connection rods. All available parts together were much more expensive than the stroker kit...so the engine gets stroked.

.:nabble_smiley_happy:

But by now, I'm happy with it. I only drove some miles, but the power is very good.

Ok, I don't have a comparison, cause I thought the power is good, as I've bought it and doesn't know, that I'm driving with a V6, cause two cylinders had not much compression...:nabble_smiley_angry:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need thicker washers if the holes in the header flange are that big.

Gary, crazy lash at TDC should show if the lobe and lifter are wiped but I have no idea what the deck height and pushrod length are.

Not to doubt Rene, I'm thinking there has to be a geometry problem if this is round #2.

Is the installed spring height correct for that valve train package?

Jim, there are real problems lately with cam and lifter failures, particularly on flat tappet cams. However, even roller lifters are having issues. Say what they will, when I see rollers spalling after only a short operating time, my immediate reaction, based on experience from work, is poor metal and or heat treatment. Does the term Chinesium for the alloy give you a hint?

Jim, there are real problems lately with cam and lifter failures, particularly on flat tappet cams. However, even roller lifters are having issues. Say what they will, when I see rollers spalling after only a short operating time, my immediate reaction, based on experience from work, is poor metal and or heat treatment. Does the term Chinesium for the alloy give you a hint?

I think the biggest problem is, that today you are not able to know what you really buy in most of the time.

Some decades ago, you know, if you buy parts from a well known brand, you'll get quality. If you buy cheap parts, they are as good as the price you pay.

Today, that's my opinion, you buy from a brand and they do everything to raise their profits over the top. So often you'll get poor quality for a high price.

I've let produce a custom full-aluminium radiator for my 1972 Buggy directly in China from the same company I've bought the one for my CJ7. Very good quality. Superior weld seams. Everything exactly like in my drawing. All for about 200 USD including shipping.

I also have bought parts from Crown for my CJ7...unbelievable bad quality. Parts rust within some weeks. I have teard off a 1/2" screw with a 1/2" ratchet by hand without much force...so, that's something I thought it's impossible...

So globalization brings much benefits but also much problems. Same with the food industry. The most people don't know what they eat. And if there is a new law, big companies always find ways to ship around. Profit weight even more than honesty and trust. That's what I can't understand. That's not sustainable.

I hope this is not too political. If it is, I will delete this post...

I think the biggest problem is, that today you are not able to know what you really buy in most of the time.

Some decades ago, you know, if you buy parts from a well known brand, you'll get quality. If you buy cheap parts, they are as good as the price you pay.

Today, that's my opinion, you buy from a brand and they do everything to raise their profits over the top. So often you'll get poor quality for a high price.

I've let produce a custom full-aluminium radiator for my 1972 Buggy directly in China from the same company I've bought the one for my CJ7. Very good quality. Superior weld seams. Everything exactly like in my drawing. All for about 200 USD including shipping.

I also have bought parts from Crown for my CJ7...unbelievable bad quality. Parts rust within some weeks. I have teard off a 1/2" screw with a 1/2" ratchet by hand without much force...so, that's something I thought it's impossible...

So globalization brings much benefits but also much problems. Same with the food industry. The most people don't know what they eat. And if there is a new law, big companies always find ways to ship around. Profit weight even more than honesty and trust. That's what I can't understand. That's not sustainable.

I hope this is not too political. If it is, I will delete this post...

No, it isn't too political. It is just truth. Many of the parts we are getting are of very poor quality. But sometimes we get really good ones. It is just hard to tell.

No, it isn't too political. It is just truth. Many of the parts we are getting are of very poor quality. But sometimes we get really good ones. It is just hard to tell.

The Chinese can definitely make quality products. One glance at their aviation industry or space station will show that.

The problem is with IP and that many purchasers want the product made to a price, QA be damned.

Without diving into politics we have discussed the downfall of many iconic automotive suppliers as they get swallowed up by specialized investment groups.

There's hardly a brand left that isn't victim of M&A and driven to squeeze more blood from the stone.

With that said there are still a few passionate individuals creating quality parts for motorsports.

But they are not in every storefront, nor are the products inexpensive.

Tim Meyer and John Kasse come to mind.

Ok, The new header screws and better gaskets will arrive next Tuesday. I will work on other things until the parts arrive.

Also when I'm restless about waiting for it, cause I still don't know if this caused the noise, I've heard...

Ok, The new header screws and better gaskets will arrive next Tuesday. I will work on other things until the parts arrive.

Also when I'm restless about waiting for it, cause I still don't know if this caused the noise, I've heard...

So, here are my re-worked headers:

20230514_165030.jpg.f27d9e0ca9d76a0adf9eb3c1eb5f6780.jpg

20230514_165039.jpg.b5a365e183fa8e6e2b370904a42297e5.jpg

Thus should be enough space for the gasket...

We'll see next week. I hope the noise really came from the headers...:nabble_anim_confused:

So, here are my re-worked headers:

Thus should be enough space for the gasket...

We'll see next week. I hope the noise really came from the headers...:nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, that should be enough space for the gasket. And seeing the carbon on the bolts from last time I really think the noise was an exhaust leak. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yes, that should be enough space for the gasket. And seeing the carbon on the bolts from last time I really think the noise was an exhaust leak. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Hey Gary...it was to be too good to be true...

:nabble_smiley_cry:

I have changed the header gaskets against very durable aluminum types and also added the new screws...

20230517_233331.jpg.9f56f13064b7ff4e0e8aeeba00f0cb22.jpg

20230517_233339.jpg.f7164aa41b50c88da8831fee4718c7a1.jpg

20230517_233528.jpg.ce7fc92b21dc8700a761767e163bcc5e.jpg

In the end it seems that my first apprehension unfortunately was correct...but hear by your own:

I currently have one bottle of the break-in additive left, but I think it will be a waste to add it...

So, I should start again with the tear down...:nabble_smiley_sad:

Hey Gary...it was to be too good to be true...

:nabble_smiley_cry:

I have changed the header gaskets against very durable aluminum types and also added the new screws...

In the end it seems that my first apprehension unfortunately was correct...but hear by your own:

I currently have one bottle of the break-in additive left, but I think it will be a waste to add it...

So, I should start again with the tear down...:nabble_smiley_sad:

Oh no! Let’s see what others say, but that sounds like lifters to me. :nabble_smiley_cry: