Bullnose Forums

It won't stop...I'm helpless!

Rene' the swirl pattern appears to me to be the normal look for a random pattern grinding. If you put a straight edge across them, is there any sort of crown to them (higher in the center)?

On the cam, are the noses ( tip of the lobes) parallel to the centerline of the cam, or do they have a slight slope toward (one side higher than the other) one end of the cam?

Both of these are things we used to look for on new cams and lifters.

Ok, I've checked it like this:

20230601_185817.jpg.641b36a9a2eff9285c715ef9e4da9527.jpg

20230601_191209.jpg.730865267b3fe4953b67b70fe8a277f1.jpg

Is this the way to go for the rest of the lifters and lobes?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've checked it like this:

Is this the way to go for the rest of the lifters and lobes?

Ok, the lifter definitely has a slight crown, meaning it will definitely try to rotate when the cam is turning against it. The lobe looks like it may not have any angle, but with the lifters having a slight crown, it may not be needed.

Follow Comp Cams break in procedure to the letter! To get the ignition timing very close, set the crank on 10° BTDC and with the key on, SPOUT unplugged, rotate the distributor counter clockwise until the Hall Effect pickup is between the vanes, then slowly rotate it clockwise until the coil fires, you may want to do it a couple of times to be sure of the point where it triggers. This should put you easily in the +/- 2° tolerance so you can run the engine for the required break-in time.

Good luck with it!

Ok, the lifter definitely has a slight crown, meaning it will definitely try to rotate when the cam is turning against it. The lobe looks like it may not have any angle, but with the lifters having a slight crown, it may not be needed.

Follow Comp Cams break in procedure to the letter! To get the ignition timing very close, set the crank on 10° BTDC and with the key on, SPOUT unplugged, rotate the distributor counter clockwise until the Hall Effect pickup is between the vanes, then slowly rotate it clockwise until the coil fires, you may want to do it a couple of times to be sure of the point where it triggers. This should put you easily in the +/- 2° tolerance so you can run the engine for the required break-in time.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Bill,

I will do so. Thanks for the tips about the time setting with engine off.

I also bought new valve springs from qualcast...do you think I also should change the springs?

I don't think my current installed ones are too loose. This won't fit to the damages I've got. And they can't be too hard, cause they are the original ones from the stock heads...

Man, you are having terrible luck on this! I'm glad that you documented the way you found the lifters and reached out to Summit. But I think I'd reach out to Comp Cams and show them the pics. They may not want you to install them. And if they tell you to use them you should have more comfort than if a vendor tells you.

Hi Gary,

How should it be different, comp cams said not to use these lifters...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Now I've called Summit and told them about this. The person I've got on the phone also recommended me not to use these lifters. They send me new ones.

So, your intention was right to call comp cams. I have waited one hour in the queue to get someone on the phone...

But everything is better than another tear down of the engine...also as the time is running again for the holidays...

It's a bit wired that the same situation like end of 2022 comes back again...:nabble_smiley_sad:

Hi Gary,

How should it be different, comp cams said not to use these lifters...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Now I've called Summit and told them about this. The person I've got on the phone also recommended me not to use these lifters. They send me new ones.

So, your intention was right to call comp cams. I have waited one hour in the queue to get someone on the phone...

But everything is better than another tear down of the engine...also as the time is running again for the holidays...

It's a bit wired that the same situation like end of 2022 comes back again...:nabble_smiley_sad:

Wow! Murphy was an optimist - whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm glad you called them. But I'm so sorry you are having to go through this - again! :nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig:

Wow! Murphy was an optimist - whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm glad you called them. But I'm so sorry you are having to go through this - again! :nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig:

This thread is fabulous and heartbreaking, not to mention very instructive. Thanks for all these updates. WOW!

This thread is fabulous and heartbreaking, not to mention very instructive. Thanks for all these updates. WOW!

Yeah...I'm honoured to tell about this...:nabble_smiley_what:

But I'm really happy to be here and have found such a bunch of compressed experience in this place.

Nevertheless it's a shame about the material quality today and I'm not very happy to check all this out in every Fibre that's possible...

I will install the cam, the timing chain case and everything else that's possible on Sunday. Next week the lifters, intake and plenum will follow. I hope in this way I'll save some time....

Yeah...I'm honoured to tell about this...:nabble_smiley_what:

But I'm really happy to be here and have found such a bunch of compressed experience in this place.

Nevertheless it's a shame about the material quality today and I'm not very happy to check all this out in every Fibre that's possible...

I will install the cam, the timing chain case and everything else that's possible on Sunday. Next week the lifters, intake and plenum will follow. I hope in this way I'll save some time....

Good luck, René! I hope this time things will go very well and you'll have it up and running correctly, and soon! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Good luck, René! I hope this time things will go very well and you'll have it up and running correctly, and soon! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Thanks Gary!

Now I already have installed the camshaft and remount everything that's possible at this time. I've recorded the process and saved it in a playlist that I will update it the end of this week, when the lifters have arrived.

20230604_094010.jpg.26c2cbe5c7348fdd5cac730318916179.jpg

20230604_094003.jpg.69563ee6e50057fce0adfa7a9b25c423.jpg

20230604_094156.jpg.350fcb7b3b0af93619ebae390dcbc1ac.jpg

Here is the

20230605_073344.jpg.2fc9279a456b224532d1fb81a6505fea.jpg

20230605_073352.jpg.4aefa73577a1027960b2d609aafdd6ed.jpg

Thanks Gary!

Now I already have installed the camshaft and remount everything that's possible at this time. I've recorded the process and saved it in a playlist that I will update it the end of this week, when the lifters have arrived.

Here is the

Looks good! And I like that the pointer sits right on TDC at the end. :nabble_smiley_good: