Bullnose Forums

It won't stop...I'm helpless!

Hi,

I don't know what to say...New cam installed, everything done as it should be. This time with additional care, cause of the last defective cam. Now it sounds after cam break in, that even more than one lifter is defective...and also the new cam will it be again.

Hear at this:

:nabble_smiley_cry:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe the exhaust mainfolds this time?

Does it sound different this time?

I'm not sure...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Oh no! You did run it at 2000 RPM for 20 to 30 minutes to break the cam in?

But that noise might be exhaust. It is sometimes very difficult to tell the difference. So I'd put a small hose to my ear and place the other end close to the exhausts and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.

Oh no! You did run it at 2000 RPM for 20 to 30 minutes to break the cam in?

But that noise might be exhaust. It is sometimes very difficult to tell the difference. So I'd put a small hose to my ear and place the other end close to the exhausts and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.

Hi Gary,

yes, I did...this time with more than the normal caress and checking every detail two times while mounting.

Also used the comp cams break-in additive this time and not the break-in oil like last time...

I unmount the exhaust mainfold on the driver's side...it's possible that one port blows off...

I hope this is the problem...otherwise I don't know how I can solve this, if it is a material problem at comp cams...

Hi Gary,

yes, I did...this time with more than the normal caress and checking every detail two times while mounting.

Also used the comp cams break-in additive this time and not the break-in oil like last time...

I unmount the exhaust mainfold on the driver's side...it's possible that one port blows off...

I hope this is the problem...otherwise I don't know how I can solve this, if it is a material problem at comp cams...

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Hi Gary,

Rene' there is a major problem with lifters, both flat tappet (yours) and roller lifters. The problem seems to be a metallurgy issue where the lifter base or roller essentially disintegrates. My feeling on is it is caused by outsourcing to China.

I did find that the OEM lifters are all coming from one source, so the problem is showing up on all manufacturers, Ford, GM, and Stellantis here.

Go on YouTube and search for lifter failure or cam failure and you will see a load of them. One shop has a number of older stock, new lifters that they are using rather than the ones that come with new cams.

Rene' there is a major problem with lifters, both flat tappet (yours) and roller lifters. The problem seems to be a metallurgy issue where the lifter base or roller essentially disintegrates. My feeling on is it is caused by outsourcing to China.

I did find that the OEM lifters are all coming from one source, so the problem is showing up on all manufacturers, Ford, GM, and Stellantis here.

Go on YouTube and search for lifter failure or cam failure and you will see a load of them. One shop has a number of older stock, new lifters that they are using rather than the ones that come with new cams.

Hi Bill,

I know. You already have send a YouTube video and I was scared to see...

I hope it's "only" the exhaust mainfold...u have unmounted the driver's side...

20230507_162241.jpg.f383fd6ad26f9ed9e930484a30faa236.jpg

20230507_162309.jpg.882a4aa36a1e4458e35775544381bb30.jpg

20230507_164505.jpg.2b84b572eacc445708c9827e650fcbb0.jpg

As it seems, my mainfolds are not very good. I have to wide the mounting holes, that the mainfold fits to the block.

So there is only a small space on which the gasket is able to seal...

As you see, the ports in the mainfold are much bigger than the ones in the heads....

The gasket on one of the photos shows the size of the ports inside the heads.

So, I really, really hope that this is the source of the noise...

Hi Bill,

I know. You already have send a YouTube video and I was scared to see...

I hope it's "only" the exhaust mainfold...u have unmounted the driver's side...

As it seems, my mainfolds are not very good. I have to wide the mounting holes, that the mainfold fits to the block.

So there is only a small space on which the gasket is able to seal...

As you see, the ports in the mainfold are much bigger than the ones in the heads....

The gasket on one of the photos shows the size of the ports inside the heads.

So, I really, really hope that this is the source of the noise...

I was looking at the very small sealing area on those headers, not a good design. It looks like several of the bolt holes are actually into the port area. One item, on those gaskets, the composition side goes toward the head and the metal side toward the header.

I was looking at the very small sealing area on those headers, not a good design. It looks like several of the bolt holes are actually into the port area. One item, on those gaskets, the composition side goes toward the head and the metal side toward the header.

Ok, thanks Bill for the information about the gaskets.

I plan to let weld a seam inside the outlet of the header to get a bigger surface for it.

But what do you think about the sound you've heard in the video? Are you with Gary and me that this could be the source?

Maybe I should change the headers...I'm not sure. I want to finish this job on the one hand, on the other side, I don't want to start again in some months onbthe passenger side mainfold...

Ok, thanks Bill for the information about the gaskets.

I plan to let weld a seam inside the outlet of the header to get a bigger surface for it.

But what do you think about the sound you've heard in the video? Are you with Gary and me that this could be the source?

Maybe I should change the headers...I'm not sure. I want to finish this job on the one hand, on the other side, I don't want to start again in some months onbthe passenger side mainfold...

I would see about a different brand, possibly someone on here has experience with some that fit and seal well (I personally don't want headers on Darth, past experience on two cars and fighting leaks).

I had Hedman Headers on my 1964 Falcon, and when the original ones on my 1966 Shelby turned to Swiss cheese I put a set of their large tube ones on. Be careful in ordering, some companies list the same headers for 289/302 and 351W, the 351W exhaust ports are a bit larger, which means the headers have less metal around the ports to clamp the gasket.