Bullnose Forums

Gas tank leak

Raywilson

Rubber is not really a problem (unless it gets gas or oil on it)

Seems a lot of people here have used strips of edpm roofing too.

I always thought the woven straps would hold water and promote rust but maybe they are specially treated?

I don't know anything about the woven straps. Unless you're referring to the liners. I'm worried the liners will eventually wiggle out. There looked to be a fiber pad between the tank and the body. It looks like cardboard but it's 50 yrs old too

I don't know anything about the woven straps. Unless you're referring to the liners. I'm worried the liners will eventually wiggle out. There looked to be a fiber pad between the tank and the body. It looks like cardboard but it's 50 yrs old too

I just recently replaced the single tank on my 86. I cut some strips of roofing felt and used that to replace the original pad. I doubled it up since it was thinner than the original. Not sure that's the best solution, but it worked for me since I had leftover material from a shed I recently built.

I just recently replaced the single tank on my 86. I cut some strips of roofing felt and used that to replace the original pad. I doubled it up since it was thinner than the original. Not sure that's the best solution, but it worked for me since I had leftover material from a shed I recently built.

That's a good idea. I had an old T bird that had what seemed to be 30lb pound felt on it's gas tank.

Interesting!

My '87 came with some kind of webbing, about the same as you find in a 10,000# ratchet tie down.

I've seen what looks like roofing felt but I just assumed it was from a previous owner repair.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting!

My '87 came with some kind of webbing, about the same as you find in a 10,000# ratchet tie down.

I've seen what looks like roofing felt but I just assumed it was from a previous owner repair.

I run into this often. when resurrecting an old truck, I always expect to replace the tank. as earlier said, it's way too affordable to not do it. replacing the sender with one by the same tank vender is also smart as it "usually" means better fitment. however, none truly come calibrated. it's going to need to be done at installation. I have three to do now as time allows. but as far as the rubber / fiber membrane found between the tank and frame, I use a product readily found at a home center in the roofing section. it is a roll of foil faced, self-adhesive epdm flashing about a 1/16" thick. I measure where the tank fits to the frame and stick it to the tank first. normally a piece about a foot long. then I line the straps with it along the lower flat /level area and up each side about two inches. this works awesome! I do the same for rear tanks as well by putting longer strips front to back where the tank meets the upper straps then coat the flat braces with the same. no squeaks. no metal-to-metal contact and aside from the odd chance of moisture which dries off quickly, no moisture retention. and btw, one roll can last year's even if doing many tanks. around 20 dollars last I bought one.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good idea. I had an old T bird that had what seemed to be 30lb pound felt on it's gas tank.

Ray, I recently replaced my front tank and LMC has what they call anti-squeak strips. My original strips appeared to be 30lb roofing felt and were worn thru. So anti-squeak means movement and it shows on mine. I believe 4x4 guys would need something better. The felt type material lasted at lease 30+yrs on mine. Since it rains between cab and body on top of tank, I coated the tank with 3M Undercoat.