Bullnose Forums

Gas tank leak

Raywilson

IMG_20230506_122038.jpg.4b72824184e65283de03518d77c2a04b.jpg81 F150 Ranger. When I fill up the middle tank it leaks from the top front of the tank. Somewhere near where the vent line goes to the engine compartment. There's a good amount of rust on the frame there and some melted rubber where I'm guessing the fuel is dissolving the gasket around the tank. I can blow through the vent line and it seems unplugged. The rubber vent line seems good too. Can the metal tubing be bad? So hard to see and I'm thinking a PITA to replace IMG_20230506_122059.thumb.jpg.1c24c5c1025ddd0e26993d09e2a21199.jpg

The large o-ring that seals the sending unit to the tank was leaking on mine. I lowered the tank by loosening the all-threads that hold it in and then was able to turn the wedge ring to remove the sending unit, replace the o-ring, and put the wedge ring back. That fixed it.

The large o-ring that seals the sending unit to the tank was leaking on mine. I lowered the tank by loosening the all-threads that hold it in and then was able to turn the wedge ring to remove the sending unit, replace the o-ring, and put the wedge ring back. That fixed it.

IMG_20230506_141052.jpg.a5ae9e0a7379f0e90ec05fc493b648c8.jpg

Maybe my pics aren't posting but there is a pretty thick layer of rust at the front of the tank. I think there's a hole there.

Maybe my pics aren't posting but there is a pretty thick layer of rust at the front of the tank. I think there's a hole there.

I see the pic and the rust. But assumed that was the bottom of the tank and you said it leaks from the top. So, is that the top? And that's where the leak is coming from? If so then I agree there's probably a leak there.

POR makes a fuel tank sealer that should stop the leak, although I've not used it so really can't say it will.

Yes, that's the top, front. When park the drip circle will be 10in across in 5mins until the tank level lowers enough...

Yes, that's the top, front. When park the drip circle will be 10in across in 5mins until the tank level lowers enough...

Take a look inside.

I'd consider a new powder coated tank.

I replaced my midship tank and new straps for ~$150 last year.

I guess it ultimately depends on how much you value losing your truck to a fire.

IMO it's an opportunity for cheap insurance.

I ordered a new one today and it'll arrive tomorrow. It's too inexpensive to not just replace it. When I got the truck, I was told not to use my rear tank. Gauge and tank switch work. Must be some debris in there. So easy to get to that one that I'll try to clean it out tomorrow. It'd be nice to have both functional. Thanks for your help again!

Ray

I ordered a new one today and it'll arrive tomorrow. It's too inexpensive to not just replace it. When I got the truck, I was told not to use my rear tank. Gauge and tank switch work. Must be some debris in there. So easy to get to that one that I'll try to clean it out tomorrow. It'd be nice to have both functional. Thanks for your help again!

Ray

What's the concensus on using an inner tube for the strap liners on my new gas tank. The old ones were toast, no idea what they were made from. Parts houses don't have listings for the liner either.

Ray

What's the concensus on using an inner tube for the strap liners on my new gas tank. The old ones were toast, no idea what they were made from. Parts houses don't have listings for the liner either.

Ray

Rubber is not really a problem (unless it gets gas or oil on it)

Seems a lot of people here have used strips of edpm roofing too.

I always thought the woven straps would hold water and promote rust but maybe they are specially treated?