Bullnose Forums

Minature 300 Six

Thought y'all might enjoy this. Mac's Motor City Garage says:

Master craftsman George Britnell created this working model of the legendary Ford 300 cubic-inch inline six. See it rumble and roar just like its full-sized cousin here.

A patternmaker by trade, George Britnell is also an accomplished model builder whose other miniature creations include fully functional firearms, steam engines, and a 1:3 scale Ford small-block V8. (You can read more about his work at his Craftsmanship Museum biography page.) For this project, Britnell chose an engine man’s engine: the Ford 300 cubic-inch inline six, a truck powerplant introduced in 1965 and legendary for its ruggedness and reliability. It’s been said that with oil, water, and gasoline, a Ford Big Six will keep running until the end of time.

Bore and stroke on this desk-sized version of the Ford Big Six are .75 inch by .875 inch, respectively, for an actual displacement of 2.32 cubic inches or 38 cubic centimeters. Details include full coolant jacketing and a Hall-switch ignition system. Britnell constructed all the components, including the tiny spark plugs with 8-36 threads, using basic machine tools: an Enco drill-mill and a 6-inch Craftsman lathe. Here at Mac’s Motor City Garage, we never cease to be impressed and amazed by the skill, patience, and passion of artists such as these. Video below.

That's awesome! :nabble_anim_jump:

With splash lubrication I wonder about the valves and rockers...

I met an IBM machinist that built a miniature Windsor, similar but smaller scale.

It's incredible to see what these artisans have done on mostly analogue/manual tools.

Thanks for sharing!

That is SO cool. I love this stuff.

I've watched most of the video's on that gent's channel, his work is very impressive. He was making a whole drivetrain for a miniature Mustang but the car has never been posted I think. He hasn't uploaded in years, I hope he's doing okay.

Cool!

Did you see the sparks flying around the number one spark plug?

I missed the sparks on the first pass, but when I went looking for them they are very obvious. Wonder if #1 was even running, although it sounded like it.