Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

Good afternoon everyone! Man! This sight is exploding with growth and good content. I am so glad to see everyone wrenching, and solving problems! As Gary has said, keep peeling those onions!! :nabble_smiley_cry::nabble_smiley_good:

I do have a bit of a quandary ...

Went out to start Ferdinand the other day and nothing... Nada, Zip. Good battery, all new grounds, new "everything" except the switch in the column. What is most peculiar, is that I don't even see a voltage drop on my meter when I turn the key. I literally only hear the key cycling in the ignition cylinder. I never had ignition issues with my '82 F150, but I have heard many times that the Duraspark ignition modules can be a little less than reliable. Is this the behavior of a bad module? (I have a Duraspark II)

I had to tear the column out and replace it in my '82 due to someone stealing it (breaking off the ignition switch portion of the column to start it with a screwdriver) and that was NOOOOO Fun. It's really the only original part left in the system but it was working flawlessly before, just one day, it up and quits.

I am willing to do whatever I can to troubleshoot / diagnose so that I do NOT have to pull the key switch from the column.

As always, and advice suggestions, tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated!!

(I do hope to get back into the "back-fire research" here in early spring.)

ONWARD!

Try starting in neutral, instead of Park.

If that doesn't do it you should check the connector on the side of the transmission that goes to the neutral safety switch.

It should have 2 red blue wires.

You can jump these two together, and then try starting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the Rustoleum Metal Etch primer.

I used Cast Aluminum engine paint on my 5spd and it really brightened it up. Like Gary says though, what a sin to hide it under the belly of the truck...lol. Still...what it really does is make everything very easy to work on, and it makes leaks very visible (if you have any).

Rembrant,

What are your thoughts on me trying to swap in a manual 5speed from a '93 F150 into the '85 Bronco?

Yours seemed to turn out killer!!

Rembrant,What are your thoughts on me trying to swap in a manual 5speed from a '93 F150 into the '85 Bronco? Yours seemed to turn out killer!!
You'd already asked him. Great!
I do try to reach out to anyone I can with similar experience. 😉 My skills only get me so far. And that’s not too far at all when dealing with transmission swaps!! 😂

Jamie Helmick

Proverbs 3:5-7

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks to those that have made suggestions on the starting issues. To date, no progress, nothing has got me past a "dead key turn".

I am hoping to either start a discussion or someone can tell me where to find it (as I am sure I am not the only one to think along these lines) but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on the best heavier 5 speed manual transmission for my '85 Bronco. (Mild 351W build, 4" lift, 35" tires). I had a chance to pick up a M5R2, but bailed on it last minute due to no known mileage and a $150 sale price. (I hope I don't later regret that).

However it does appear that the ZF S542 would be a great option given my expected use. I am very interested to hear from you all concerning the "adaptability" issues that may come up and what all is needed to connect said transmission to an early '85, given so little vacuum and no computer.

Thanks in advance to all those that take their valuable time and wealth of experience to help some of us lost souls find our way through the unknown! (at least to me) :nabble_anim_crazy:

(I still have yet to take the time to work through all the plans to rebuild the AC, but sure appreciate all the info!!!)

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks to those that have made suggestions on the starting issues. To date, no progress, nothing has got me past a "dead key turn".

I am hoping to either start a discussion or someone can tell me where to find it (as I am sure I am not the only one to think along these lines) but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on the best heavier 5 speed manual transmission for my '85 Bronco. (Mild 351W build, 4" lift, 35" tires). I had a chance to pick up a M5R2, but bailed on it last minute due to no known mileage and a $150 sale price. (I hope I don't later regret that).

However it does appear that the ZF S542 would be a great option given my expected use. I am very interested to hear from you all concerning the "adaptability" issues that may come up and what all is needed to connect said transmission to an early '85, given so little vacuum and no computer.

Thanks in advance to all those that take their valuable time and wealth of experience to help some of us lost souls find our way through the unknown! (at least to me) :nabble_anim_crazy:

(I still have yet to take the time to work through all the plans to rebuild the AC, but sure appreciate all the info!!!)

Jamie - There aren't all that many options. The M5OD-R2 is a good transmission, but with a healthy 351W and 35" tires I'd go ZF5 or ZF5. It'll bolt up perfectly, assuming you get one from a 300 six or Windsor.

As for what you'll need, you'll need to move your crossmember back ~1". But, as you'll see in my thread on Big Blue's Transformation, you can reuse the crossmember itself as well as the gussets.

You will also need the tall transmission cover, the hump in the floor, from a later truck with a ZF5 as your existing cover won't clear the ZF.

Your existing transfer case will bolt onto the ZF, although the extra inch of rearward placement will probably mean you'll need to make the shift link adjustable. I'll show you how soon when I do it - again. Or, use the one I've already "adjusted" - if I can find it. But it is easy if you have a hacksaw and a welder.

On the driveshaft, I didn't have to change it on Dad's truck and assume I won't on Big Blue, but we shall see.

Jamie - There aren't all that many options. The M5OD-R2 is a good transmission, but with a healthy 351W and 35" tires I'd go ZF5 or ZF5. It'll bolt up perfectly, assuming you get one from a 300 six or Windsor.As for what you'll need, you'll need to move your crossmember back ~1". But, as you'll see in my thread on Big Blue's Transformation, you can reuse the crossmember itself as well as the gussets.You will also need the tall transmission cover, the hump in the floor, from a later truck with a ZF5 as your existing cover won't clear the ZF.Your existing transfer case will bolt onto the ZF, although the extra inch of rearward placement will probably mean you'll need to make the shift link adjustable. I'll show you how soon when I do it - again. Or, use the one I've already "adjusted" - if I can find it. But it is easy if you have a hacksaw and a welder.On the driveshaft, I didn't have to change it on Dad's truck and assume I won't on Big Blue, but we shall see.
Excellent! Thank you very much Gary!

Jamie

Jamie - There aren't all that many options. The M5OD-R2 is a good transmission, but with a healthy 351W and 35" tires I'd go ZF5 or ZF5. It'll bolt up perfectly, assuming you get one from a 300 six or Windsor.

As for what you'll need, you'll need to move your crossmember back ~1". But, as you'll see in my thread on Big Blue's Transformation, you can reuse the crossmember itself as well as the gussets.

You will also need the tall transmission cover, the hump in the floor, from a later truck with a ZF5 as your existing cover won't clear the ZF.

Your existing transfer case will bolt onto the ZF, although the extra inch of rearward placement will probably mean you'll need to make the shift link adjustable. I'll show you how soon when I do it - again. Or, use the one I've already "adjusted" - if I can find it. But it is easy if you have a hacksaw and a welder.

On the driveshaft, I didn't have to change it on Dad's truck and assume I won't on Big Blue, but we shall see.

I'll weigh in and say that my transfer case shifter was a direct swap from my previous T-19.

I can't say for SURE that the Windsor bell pattern Zf is the same, but I didn't need to do any fussing with it.

I'll weigh in and say that my transfer case shifter was a direct swap from my previous T-19.

I can't say for SURE that the Windsor bell pattern Zf is the same, but I didn't need to do any fussing with it.

Re-reading this post on FTE it looks like part of the problem is due to interference between the boots, causing me to move the boot a bit.

But my rememberer says part of the problem is also due to the extra ~1" between the shift lever's pivot point and the t-case, which put the lever in the wrong position.

In either case, the pictures of the way I adjusted the linkage are on that post, as are pics of the two different transmission covers. (I really dislike the fact that FTE doesn't allow copying a link to a pic so you can post it elsewhere.)

I researched the small block ZF a bit as a possibility for my 1981. I believe it was Ron Reamer here that documented that there is a length difference with the small block 4x4 ZF which requires both driveshafts to be changed. (Longer front shaft, shorter rear shaft). The front shaft can potentially come from the donor pickup, but the rear chart you will probably have to get made at a shop. This is unfortunate since the Bronco rear shaft is already short enough to warrant a double cardan joint. If the donor truck is a straight six, be aware that the zero balance flywheel isn’t compatible with a V8.