Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to get an O ring and gasket set for your truck. The 134a uses PAG 46 oil. Put some oil on all of the O rings and threads of the fittings when reassembling them.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS for the new compressor. Some of them have no oil in them, some have a couple of oz's and some have a full system charge. You need to be sure you have the right amount of oil in the system. More and less can both ruin the compressor and give you fits trying to properly charge it.

You need a set of 134A guages and a vacuum pump. Dont try to do this without a vacuum pump or a set of guages. You will need a can tapper also.

Be sure to get an O ring and gasket set for your truck. The 134a uses PAG 46 oil. Put some oil on all of the O rings and threads of the fittings when reassembling them.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS for the new compressor. Some of them have no oil in them, some have a couple of oz's and some have a full system charge. You need to be sure you have the right amount of oil in the system. More and less can both ruin the compressor and give you fits trying to properly charge it.

You need a set of 134A guages and a vacuum pump. Dont try to do this without a vacuum pump or a set of guages. You will need a can tapper also.

A chart like this essential. This is what your guages should be reading when charging the system. Go by thiscas well as the capacity reccomendations I posted above.

Then after you think you have it right after your guages are reading right and the vents are blowing nice and cold you shut it off with the guages still attached and let everything go back to whatever the ambient temperature outside is. I reccomend letting it sit an hour for everything to go back to ambient temp.

Then you use this chart to see if your charge is on the money ir not.

Screenshot_20190702-234613_Google.thumb.jpg.c9b57cbaed55c84e22f42ca6bdea9b32.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-234222_Google.thumb.jpg.49da5b5b046ebdd1856841c9a227cfa0.jpg

Both guages (high and low) should read the same pressure. If they dont read the pressure listed on the ambient temp chart then your charge is either over or under.

A chart like this essential. This is what your guages should be reading when charging the system. Go by thiscas well as the capacity reccomendations I posted above.

Then after you think you have it right after your guages are reading right and the vents are blowing nice and cold you shut it off with the guages still attached and let everything go back to whatever the ambient temperature outside is. I reccomend letting it sit an hour for everything to go back to ambient temp.

Then you use this chart to see if your charge is on the money ir not.

Both guages (high and low) should read the same pressure. If they dont read the pressure listed on the ambient temp chart then your charge is either over or under.

This is the ambient temp chart since everything on the post is screwed upScreenshot_20190702-235450_Google.thumb.jpg.ef9823d3c4269690b1248bf307625ed0.jpg

This is the ambient temp chart since everything on the post is screwed upScreenshot_20190702-235450_Google.jpg

This is the chart you use fir charging:

Screenshot_20190702-234222_Google.jpg

So what chart do you go by?

If I am reading them right the top psi is that high or low side?

Also if you pick a temp of say 65*F the 2 charts do not match either PSI's?

I was going to ask this "ambient temp" is this measured at the condenser or just out in the open?

Dave ----

This is the ambient temp chart since everything on the post is screwed upScreenshot_20190702-235450_Google.jpg

This is the chart you use fir charging:

Screenshot_20190702-234222_Google.jpg

So what chart do you go by?

If I am reading them right the top psi is that high or low side?

Also if you pick a temp of say 65*F the 2 charts do not match either PSI's?

I was going to ask this "ambient temp" is this measured at the condenser or just out in the open?

Dave ----

The top chart is for after you have charged the system . Turn the truck off and let the refrigerant and all of the components warm back up to whatever the temperature is wherever you are doing the AC job. Outside if it's 99 let the system warm up to that temp. If your in the garagemahal and it's 72 the same. The pressure on the top chart is for both guages. They will balance out and read the same on the high and low.

The bottom chart is for charging with the system operating.

The top chart is for after you have charged the system . Turn the truck off and let the refrigerant and all of the components warm back up to whatever the temperature is wherever you are doing the AC job. Outside if it's 99 let the system warm up to that temp. If your in the garagemahal and it's 72 the same. The pressure on the top chart is for both guages. They will balance out and read the same on the high and low.

Ok now I got it.

So if I was starting with a new uncharged could I pull a vacuum like normal then fill it to the Temp / PSI of the top chart and then do the final "tuning" use the bottom chart?

Or will it not work that way?

Dave ----

Ok now I got it.

So if I was starting with a new uncharged could I pull a vacuum like normal then fill it to the Temp / PSI of the top chart and then do the final "tuning" use the bottom chart?

Or will it not work that way?

Dave ----

You couldnt get the refrigerant into the system without it running. A vacuum will only pull about 10 oz without the compressor running to suck the rest in.