Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input guys!

Here are a few pics from the JY bronco. Any idea which one this is?

I really like the idea of a manual transmission, but I may pass this option by for now if it really isn't going to give me any real mpg gain. (Although the mechanical advantage of a manual may still force the swap 😉)

TOD

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831130/thumbnail/tod.jpg

Same crossmember & mount as the NP435, so that has some value (especially if you're considering the NP435).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72206/thumbnail/tcase.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

TOD

https://supermotors.net/getfile/831130/thumbnail/tod.jpg

Same crossmember & mount as the NP435, so that has some value (especially if you're considering the NP435).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72206/thumbnail/tcase.jpg

Steve, thanks for the very timely insight! My apologies for such late responses. After the info you have provided and the input from Gary I am really having second thoughts about doing the tranny swap. I certainly would love to have a stick in the Bronco, but that is a lot of work for a "novelty" item if I don't really end up saving much MPG's with the extra gear!

Can someone guide me to a thread on someone rebuilding their AC? (Hopefully with factory parts) I am considering reconstructing mine since I have all the original factory parts (It was a factory AC and not dealer-installed). I may make up new hoses, but I would love a run through if anyone has tackled the job yet. If not, well, I will do my best to chronicle the journey 🙃.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated!!

Ferdinand finally has a fully clear, clean title and fancy new plates so he is OFFICIALLY on the road 😎

(now let the real tuning begin!)

Can someone guide me to a thread on someone rebuilding their AC? (Hopefully with factory parts) I am considering reconstructing mine since I have all the original factory parts (It was a factory AC and not dealer-installed). I may make up new hoses, but I would love a run through if anyone has tackled the job yet. If not, well, I will do my best to chronicle the journey 🙃.

Ferdinand finally has a fully clear, clean title and fancy new plates so he is OFFICIALLY on the road 😎

Congrat's on the title!!! That's a big milestone. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't know of a how-to on A/C. So maybe you are the author? Having said that, if we can get Brandon/Bruno2 to join the conversation he'll have something to say about it as he's hopefully just finally gotten his fixed.

I'll see if he'll join..... :nabble_anim_working:

What kind of questions do you have?

On the AC what is it you need to know?

Do you know why the system stopped working as that will help getting it running again.

You have normal parts you replace when a system is opened up.

The drier is a must. Orifice tube or valve.

If running 134A change all the O-rings to match and the PSI switch as they are different between the r12 & 134A.

Some say you can reuse the old hoses and others say replace them. Me I think I would replace them because of age.

Now this leaves the condenser & evap.

The only cond. you can get is for the later trucks that run 134A it is a little bigger and you need to space the bottom out. This pushes the center grille support out so you need to make changes to make this all fit.

You can try to flush the evap. & cond. to make sure there is no crap in them. Because the cond. is the lowest part some just replace it.

Just some of what I have ot from reading posts on AC fixes

Dave ----

There he is! So, how much oil is the system supposed to have? What happens if you have too much? Is your system working properly now?

Gary, mine is working fine now.

I dont know what the bullnose capacity is on refrigerant or oil. I will research it and report back.

I know the bullnose era was R12. I would plan on using 134 A. I would replace the lines because of age. Also, I dont know how true this is, but the molecules in the two different refrigerants are supposed to be different sizes. In theory the134A is supposed to be able to seep out of the pores of the R12 hoses. I think it's baloney.

You can have hoses made, but I think you can buy them cheaper. I would plan on pulling the evap coil so you can flush it inside and out as well as clean the box out it goes in. This will ensure the coil will let optimum air pass to give you good pressure out of the vents as well as give optimum heat exchange efficiency.

The compressor needs to be replaced if you have no knowledge of its History. The compressor is the only component that has moving parts. It is the only thing that can pollute the system and cause a blockage.so just replace it. If it's questionable and you dont change it that could wreck system and hours of hard work.

As far as the condensor goes I think you are safe just flushing it. Unless it has a leak in it.

Gary, mine is working fine now.

I dont know what the bullnose capacity is on refrigerant or oil. I will research it and report back.

I know the bullnose era was R12. I would plan on using 134 A. I would replace the lines because of age. Also, I dont know how true this is, but the molecules in the two different refrigerants are supposed to be different sizes. In theory the134A is supposed to be able to seep out of the pores of the R12 hoses. I think it's baloney.

You can have hoses made, but I think you can buy them cheaper. I would plan on pulling the evap coil so you can flush it inside and out as well as clean the box out it goes in. This will ensure the coil will let optimum air pass to give you good pressure out of the vents as well as give optimum heat exchange efficiency.

The compressor needs to be replaced if you have no knowledge of its History. The compressor is the only component that has moving parts. It is the only thing that can pollute the system and cause a blockage.so just replace it. If it's questionable and you dont change it that could wreck system and hours of hard work.

As far as the condensor goes I think you are safe just flushing it. Unless it has a leak in it.

https://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/ford-light-truck