Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

Gary I am sure you can only imagine how much I looked like that little guy jumping up and down when I finally connected the dots and got her to fire up so smooth!!!

Rom 12:15a Rejoice with them that do rejoice,

-thanks for everything brother

I felt the frustration earlier, and the joy last night. But that’s a good passage. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the frustration earlier, and the joy last night. But that’s a good passage. :nabble_smiley_good:

Way to go :nabble_smiley_good:

Now you can go out and do smoky burn out with open headers no less :nabble_smiley_evil:

I just knew it was not hitting on all 8 but who would guess only 4!

Again nice job of not letting the truck win out!

Dave ----

The Great Mystery Is Solved!

I have been chasing a timing/fuel/vacuum problem now for more than two months until just tonight I finally discovered the problem…

FIRING ORDER (Seriously, firing order... one of the things I checked 20 times AT LEAST!)

I have nearly memorized the 5.8L firing order from Ford, 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. What I did not know is that it is possible to have a cam installed that would revert you back to the 5.0L V8, firing order 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8.

I started noticing that the firing order for cams are printed on the box or in the paperwork they come with but I had an engine shop build mine and the box they gave me that the cam came in did not have any firing order listed anywhere on it.

Out of sheer desperation and grasping at straws thinking my problem could be anything from a distributor 180 degrees out all the way to having washed out my cam during break-in, I did a Google search on what the firing order for my cam would be and there it was… The proper firing order for the cam that was installed was indeed the firing order for the 5.0L and NOT the 5.8L!

Then it all started falling into place. Even the cylinder temps that were indicative of a potentially washed cam started taking on new meaning:

Cylinder Temps taken at the header tubes:

1-709, 2-590, 3-190, 4-131

5-152, 6-650, 7-194, 8-505

When you consider there are 4 cylinders that are different between the two firing orders:

Hence, 1,2,6,8 are the same and 3,4,5,7 are different, this corresponds to the cylinders that were very low temperature wise.

Once I realized the potenetial fix, I couldn’t stay in my seat. The Bronco has only open headers and I live very close to my neighbors. Not to mention, my sleeping family in the house (it was nearly 11:00 "on a school night"). I couln’t help it… I HAD TO GO TRY IT.

Sure enough the thing jumped to life at the bump of the key, ran like a dream, took the throttle stabs, and even stayed smooth and even once in gear!

I am utterly amazed the engine ran as smooth as it did with 4 cylinders out of sequence!

Many have said the firing order was the issue. So, to all those folks, thank you!! I would have never guessed that the firing order would have been different than that which was referenced.

Now to get Ferdinand’s front clip on and finish this!!

Congrats on getting it worked out!!!

Hoping to hammer down tomorrow and get the majority of the front clip on and take it for a test drive!

I really need to find a good header-back aftermarket exhaust. Does anyone here have a favorite they have found?

I am hoping to come straight back from each header with a Flowmaster 40 (or similar) and dump out the sides behind the rear wheels.

Way to go :nabble_smiley_good:

Now you can go out and do smoky burn out with open headers no less :nabble_smiley_evil:

I just knew it was not hitting on all 8 but who would guess only 4!

Again nice job of not letting the truck win out!

Dave ----

Dave,

I don't think I put enough ponies under the hood this time around to smoke 35's, but I would if I could!! 😉

-yeah, I was telling a friend of mine yesterday, I have really learned a lot this go around. I would have NEVER guessed I could actually drive a vehicle with 4 cylinders out of sync!!

The Great Mystery Is Solved!

I have been chasing a timing/fuel/vacuum problem now for more than two months until just tonight I finally discovered the problem…

FIRING ORDER (Seriously, firing order... one of the things I checked 20 times AT LEAST!)

I have nearly memorized the 5.8L firing order from Ford, 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. What I did not know is that it is possible to have a cam installed that would revert you back to the 5.0L V8, firing order 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8.

I started noticing that the firing order for cams are printed on the box or in the paperwork they come with but I had an engine shop build mine and the box they gave me that the cam came in did not have any firing order listed anywhere on it.

Out of sheer desperation and grasping at straws thinking my problem could be anything from a distributor 180 degrees out all the way to having washed out my cam during break-in, I did a Google search on what the firing order for my cam would be and there it was… The proper firing order for the cam that was installed was indeed the firing order for the 5.0L and NOT the 5.8L!

Then it all started falling into place. Even the cylinder temps that were indicative of a potentially washed cam started taking on new meaning:

Cylinder Temps taken at the header tubes:

1-709, 2-590, 3-190, 4-131

5-152, 6-650, 7-194, 8-505

When you consider there are 4 cylinders that are different between the two firing orders:

Hence, 1,2,6,8 are the same and 3,4,5,7 are different, this corresponds to the cylinders that were very low temperature wise.

Once I realized the potenetial fix, I couldn’t stay in my seat. The Bronco has only open headers and I live very close to my neighbors. Not to mention, my sleeping family in the house (it was nearly 11:00 "on a school night"). I couln’t help it… I HAD TO GO TRY IT.

Sure enough the thing jumped to life at the bump of the key, ran like a dream, took the throttle stabs, and even stayed smooth and even once in gear!

I am utterly amazed the engine ran as smooth as it did with 4 cylinders out of sequence!

Many have said the firing order was the issue. So, to all those folks, thank you!! I would have never guessed that the firing order would have been different than that which was referenced.

Now to get Ferdinand’s front clip on and finish this!!

Wow. So glad you figured this out! I’ve been following in the background, but have not really had anything intelligent to add. What a sneaky little detail. Good that you found it, but sad for all the effort used to hunt it down. The only similar experience I can relate was with my 1966 pickup. I fought random stalling for the first couple of months after rebuilding it. Sometimes it would fire right back up, sometimes I had to call my dad to tow me. It took me to the frayed edges of my sanity before I found about a 1” square piece of plastic bag sucked into the gas tank pick up tube. I don’t even want to talk about all of the stuff I replaced, checked, adjusted and tested before finding that. I sometimes wonder if that was the reason the guy sold the truck. Just know that you are not alone with having a brand-new-everything kind of rebuild give you fits.

I am long-sighted enough that I don’t think I would grind anything off the intake or permanently mark it up. In the event that this engine was ever to be rebuilt in the future with a different cam... I would probably neatly print the cam data + firing order and have it laminated and stick it next to the emissions sticker for a handy reference.

Hoping to hammer down tomorrow and get the majority of the front clip on and take it for a test drive!

I really need to find a good header-back aftermarket exhaust. Does anyone here have a favorite they have found?

I am hoping to come straight back from each header with a Flowmaster 40 (or similar) and dump out the sides behind the rear wheels.

I vote for Magnaflow mufflers. They have a deeper sound than Flowmasters. When I got Rusty it had a Flowmaster, which someone said sounded flatulent. And it was so loud that I didn’t realize how much noise the tires were making. But a Magnaflow dropped the noise dramatically and also dropped the tone to a nice rumble. And then I discovered how noisy the tires were. 😳

Dave,

I don't think I put enough ponies under the hood this time around to smoke 35's, but I would if I could!! 😉

-yeah, I was telling a friend of mine yesterday, I have really learned a lot this go around. I would have NEVER guessed I could actually drive a vehicle with 4 cylinders out of sync!!

Low range baby low range! :nabble_anim_claps:

That is how you learn. If everything went as it should have what would you have learned?

When I was in school for computer repair we all had to build our own computers to then use for the rest of the class. About 80% would not boot up so we as a class had to find out why. Turned out bad RAM and once we had good RAM they all worked.

Point is if we did not have that happen we would have never known how to trouble shoot a pc not booting up.

I like good old turbo mufflers they have a nice deep sound to them. Even had 1 on a L6 with a header (6-3-2 with a Y pipe to 1) and that sounded good also.

You did good hope you are out test driving this truck.

Dave ----