Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if anyone is running an Edelbrock carb, can you please take or share some pictures of your throttle linkage?

The linkage was charred quite badly so by the time I chem-dipped and sand blasted it(I do not recommend sand blasting your linkage) It was hard for me to tell exactly how it all went back together.

I looked at the info from Edelbrock and I tried searching the web for some clear photos of something similar to my application but haven't really found much that I could easily see.

Thanks everyone!!

P.S. I am still looking for a good tap for my choke. I hope to get it connected tonight as well. I will pick something from the fuse block since what is out under the hood sounds like it may be an issue using that.

Thanks for weighing in on that issue guys!

Also, if anyone is running an Edelbrock carb, can you please take or share some pictures of your throttle linkage?

The linkage was charred quite badly so by the time I chem-dipped and sand blasted it(I do not recommend sand blasting your linkage) It was hard for me to tell exactly how it all went back together.

I looked at the info from Edelbrock and I tried searching the web for some clear photos of something similar to my application but haven't really found much that I could easily see.

Thanks everyone!!

P.S. I am still looking for a good tap for my choke. I hope to get it connected tonight as well. I will pick something from the fuse block since what is out under the hood sounds like it may be an issue using that.

Those bends aren't too hard to restrict fuel for the kind of load you have. Maybe, remotely at 6000 RPM in 3rd gear. So I don't think that is your problem.

As for the linkage, I'll take a pic tomorrow - if it stops raining. In the interim I'll look my pics over for one that shows the linkage.

I am curious why Ford has a design that puts two hard lines pointing up to be connected for fuel. It has me thinking I may be missing something? Thoughts?
Possibly the fact that, if the nipples pointed straight at each other, the hose would have to go straight from one to the other. And if the engine mounts broke (as they commonly do), the hose would be so short that it would be ripped apart, causing a fuel leak right there in front of the hot manifold, probably resulting in a fire. So pointing both nipples up forces the line into an arch, which allows for the movement between the engine-mounted pump & the frame-mounted tube. Forward (into the belts), backward (into the manifold), & down (into the frame) aren't really options, so it had to be up.

That's my first guess...

But I think you're right that a longer arch or loop in the hose would do you some good. I certainly wouldn't replace the hose with a hard tube U & 2 shorter hoses.

Evertyhing looked pretty clean and good. (Especially for a carb that was on fire 🙃)

Since I can't seem to get anywhere with vacuum or timing, I started trying to think of other options. Fuel was one variable. Also my cousin called in some help and thought of checking my vacuum booster for a leak which I will do later tonight. As far as the fuel goes, I found this:

Fule_Line_Kink_close.jpg

This hard bend may be restricting enough fuel to make me run rough. I'll be checking it here very soon! (Thinking of either making a loop with more soft line, or bending steel tubing into a "U" shape and just connecting it with 2 little sections of hose.)

I have to admit, I am curious why Ford has a design that puts two hard lines pointing up to be connected for fuel. It has me thinking I may be missing something? Thoughts?

Any one see anything wrong with this picture?

And no I don't think that bend is that bad to cause the issue you have.

My bad I see "not for fuel ...." is that "injection systems"?

Ok if under load you are off the idle side of the carb so you need to look at every other part of that carb.

Did you rebuild it or just pulled it apart to give a look see? How far down did you go?

Does it use a power valve? Any plastic parts inside it that could have melted?

If you have not I would pull it all the way apart and do a good cleaning then a look over for melted or warped parts. I would run thin wire thru all ports being careful not to gouge the ports to hurt air / fuel flow to make sure they are all open.

Dave ----

Thanks everyone!!

Let's see if these help. (Please disregard the red bracket.)

DSCN3364.thumb.jpg.52ce466e7d9a3177a81d97e2d983c2de.jpg

DSCN3363.thumb.jpg.38e4d4d367b54ea8af78032e6c76cb2b.jpg

DSCN3365.thumb.jpg.2843701262d8cbdc27138c7d88175c92.jpg

Nearing my limit...

Still having same problems :nabble_smiley_uh:

(Opening comments were due to realizing I left a map light on and drained the battery 🙃)

So in battling the issue I have leaned out the idle screws, still no good. (thought it sounded and smelled like it was running rich) Tried pulling the vacuum advance from the distributor and time it, no better. Put it in reverse and let off brake, no real change. (checking for vacuum leak in brake booster) Hooked up electric choke now I am having a few more issues (but I’m guessing I just need to adjust the choke.)

I’m about to roll this thing down into the pond. I am completely stuck at this point. :nabble_anim_confused:

If anyone has thoughts, I am all ears...

Nearing my limit...

Still having same problems :nabble_smiley_uh:

(Opening comments were due to realizing I left a map light on and drained the battery 🙃)

So in battling the issue I have leaned out the idle screws, still no good. (thought it sounded and smelled like it was running rich) Tried pulling the vacuum advance from the distributor and time it, no better. Put it in reverse and let off brake, no real change. (checking for vacuum leak in brake booster) Hooked up electric choke now I am having a few more issues (but I’m guessing I just need to adjust the choke.)

I’m about to roll this thing down into the pond. I am completely stuck at this point. :nabble_anim_confused:

If anyone has thoughts, I am all ears...

DON'T ROLL IT IN THE POND! I'LL BE THERE WITH MY TRAILER!!!!!!

Seriously, you are right on the cusp of getting it sorted. I'll go back and re-watch your video, but whatever you did around the 5 minute mark made a big difference.

So, can you tell us what you did at various points in time?

Again, don't give up. Please! (But, if you do let me know and I'll come get it. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

DON'T ROLL IT IN THE POND! I'LL BE THERE WITH MY TRAILER!!!!!!

Seriously, you are right on the cusp of getting it sorted. I'll go back and re-watch your video, but whatever you did around the 5 minute mark made a big difference.

So, can you tell us what you did at various points in time?

Again, don't give up. Please! (But, if you do let me know and I'll come get it. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Ok, what's the status? How's your mood? Hang in there buddy, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

And, I meant it when I asked for a bit of explanation as to what you did when in that long video. It might help us understand why the tone changed and, therefore, what the issue(s) is/are.