Bullnose Forums

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So you guys are full of helpful ideas! I’m going to go ahead and try to start up cold again this morning and if I can’t get it running I will try to advance the timing a little bit. I do have an IR thermometer that I shot the block and header tubes with before I did the cam break-in. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Progress so far today / 01.01.2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE‼️

Cold starts before any adjustments:

After backing the distributor to 10 degrees BTDC:

When I checked the timing it had drifted back to around 20-25 BTDC.

I still have to hold the pedal to the floor to start it but I'm thinking that might be carb adjustments. I haven't done anything to the carb but bolt it on. Going to try and tune it, bleed the brakes, and bolt the front driveshaft up and see if I can get it down the driveway today.

Ok, so I am having the dickens of a time getting this thing to stay at the proper timing... but he did make his maiden voyage today!!

I have noticed (after I bought a new one since the last one got a BIG DRINK and I thought it was toast) that my new alternator isn't charging... I am starting down that path and I am spending some time in the EVTM. Hopefully I can figure out what is happening.

I do have a question though on something I have not been able to identify.

Is this some sort of voltage regulator???

I'm wondering if this could be preventing the alternator from charging? :nabble_anim_confused:

Well, congratulations on the maiden voyage!!! That's great. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the regulator, yes that is one. And w/o it working properly your alternator won't work. So, if you know your alternator is good then replace the regulator. If not, have the alternator tested and then replace the regulator.

Well, congratulations on the maiden voyage!!! That's great. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the regulator, yes that is one. And w/o it working properly your alternator won't work. So, if you know your alternator is good then replace the regulator. If not, have the alternator tested and then replace the regulator.

Ok, great! Thanks Gary!

That at least gives me a place to start. I've checked everything else I know to check, so I am hoping this will be the ticket.

I figured out the hard start issue. I have some videos to post later about it. (I would have had them loaded last night but my laptop died and my charger was at my office 🙃)

My timing had drifted way off and I am still working on getting it to stay put. Since I am trying to find initial timing and base carb tuning at the same time, I finally decided to push the truck up to about 1500-1600 RPM and set timing there. If I understand correctly, that should at least take the idle mixture screw settings out of the loop. At that RMP I set the timing to 15 degrees BTDC and man did it smooth out! I backed the throttle down to about 1100 and man did it start easy with just a bump of the key. It also quit stalling as soon as I would put it in gear. :nabble_anim_jump:

It was short lived though... I got it right where I wanted it last night (around 10p) so as a married man of 20 years, I know better than to push my luck since our bedroom is only one room away from the garage, and I decided to come down today and take a test drive on my lunch break. I could hardly wait!

It did much better than yesterday, but it still started running really rough again and started stalling as soon as I would put it in gear. So, I am not out of the woods yet, but I can't do any tuning tonight. It's a bit too late to make so much noise with a house of 5 women all having to get up early tomorrow :nabble_smiley_wink:

(1st day back to school from Christmas break)

PS, I'm picking up a VR tomorrow! Thanks again!

Ok, great! Thanks Gary!

That at least gives me a place to start. I've checked everything else I know to check, so I am hoping this will be the ticket.

I figured out the hard start issue. I have some videos to post later about it. (I would have had them loaded last night but my laptop died and my charger was at my office 🙃)

My timing had drifted way off and I am still working on getting it to stay put. Since I am trying to find initial timing and base carb tuning at the same time, I finally decided to push the truck up to about 1500-1600 RPM and set timing there. If I understand correctly, that should at least take the idle mixture screw settings out of the loop. At that RMP I set the timing to 15 degrees BTDC and man did it smooth out! I backed the throttle down to about 1100 and man did it start easy with just a bump of the key. It also quit stalling as soon as I would put it in gear. :nabble_anim_jump:

It was short lived though... I got it right where I wanted it last night (around 10p) so as a married man of 20 years, I know better than to push my luck since our bedroom is only one room away from the garage, and I decided to come down today and take a test drive on my lunch break. I could hardly wait!

It did much better than yesterday, but it still started running really rough again and started stalling as soon as I would put it in gear. So, I am not out of the woods yet, but I can't do any tuning tonight. It's a bit too late to make so much noise with a house of 5 women all having to get up early tomorrow :nabble_smiley_wink:

(1st day back to school from Christmas break)

PS, I'm picking up a VR tomorrow! Thanks again!

One layer at a time, and pretty soon you'll have a Bloomin' Onion or an ogre. Not sure which. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Did you ever get the choke hooked up? You need the choke to back off as the engine gets warm or you'll have problems.

As for the timing drifting, it sounds like your clamp isn't. Perhaps you have the wrong bolt in it and it is bottoming out w/o clamping the dizzy down?

...I am spending some time in the EVTM. Hopefully I can figure out what is happening.
This caption is probably easier to understand since it explains how the alt works, and how to force it ON, bypassing the regulator:

http://supermotors.net/getfile/897843/thumbnail/alternator1g.jpg

If the battery voltage jumps & then climbs slowly, the alt is charging it. But it all depends on the connections from the battery terminals (BOTH of them) to the alternator (its positive charging post AND its case negative).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/825495/thumbnail/cont6.jpg

Ok, so I am having the dickens of a time getting this thing to stay at the proper timing... but he did make his maiden voyage today!!

Try disconnecting the vacuum advance, and then see if the initial timing stays put. When you pull the hose off the distributor, just put a screw in it so it doesn't turn into a vacuum leak.

When I installed my rebuilt engine, I didn't hook up the vacuum advance for about a week afterwards. I wanted to get everything else working properly first, and then get the vacuum advance dialed in after the fact.

If you vacuum advance canister is adjustable, you can take some of the sensitivity out of it.

Do you have a cheap vacuum gauge? You can check and see what/if any if being applied to the vacuum advance during idle.