Bullnose Forum

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand

I researched the small block ZF a bit as a possibility for my 1981. I believe it was Ron Reamer here that documented that there is a length difference with the small block 4x4 ZF which requires both driveshafts to be changed. (Longer front shaft, shorter rear shaft). The front shaft can potentially come from the donor pickup, but the rear chart you will probably have to get made at a shop. This is unfortunate since the Bronco rear shaft is already short enough to warrant a double cardan joint. If the donor truck is a straight six, be aware that the zero balance flywheel isn’t compatible with a V8.

Aren't there two Windsor balance flywheel as well?

Iirc, 351 remained the same but 302 changed somewhere along the way?

As I said, I'm not the Windsor authority, but I always want to learn.

• 8 months later...

Well... the prodigal has returned...

Ferdinand is back in the "Doctor's Office" (Not that I am much of a doctor πŸ˜‰)

11.thumb.jpg.6cb7bd03d24d36071164574e58adf8d7.jpg

The Bronco sat nearly all year I am sad to report. I work in the Healthcare world and 2020 has tried us at great lengths for sure. There have been more than a few stressors this year gnawing at all of us I am sure. At this point I need some wrench therapy...

I did overhaul the garage this spring so the new work space is really nice. (I feel pretty spoiled to tell you the truth!) Rewired the majority of the garage, new compressed air set-up, new LED lighting (MAN, do I wish I would have done that BEFORE starting the Bronco project!), repaired floor and epoxy coated, built a bunch of cabinetry & storage, plumbed in a wash tub sink, upgraded my tool storage, built a drafting/planning space and bought a TON of storage bins πŸ™ƒ

Here is a before shot and one about 75% finished:

Gargage_Before_and_75pcnt.jpg.07e40e88fb2a592d1700396d70dcb076.jpg

The wife was so impressed (not that she dare comment about it) that we had my oldest daughter's high school graduation party in there! 🀣

I am now thinking of going the "Overlander" route with Ferdinand. So, my current punch-out list (Dead key (have to jump-start @ the solenoid currently) backfiring issue, new heater core, rebuild factory A/C, steering stabilizer, new battery, and finishing the interior lighting and speaker upgrades) has turned into a new laundry list of things to do. Those interests include: Dual batteries, 3G alternator upgrade, heater core bypass, Trail Lights, roof basket, Custom center consul, CB, low profile lock box in bed, spare tire carrier (if I can ever find one!!), headliner, visor shelf & sun visors, battery kill switch, Apple CarPlay, front hitch, winch, and new axle gears. -side note, the "donor chart" on the alternator upgrade won't load for me (MacBook Air 2019/Catalina/Safari) not sure why but I'm guessing that's on my end.

I hope to capture it all on the forum should anyone find interest. I know I have benefitted an amazing amount from other people sharing their journeys! I have a lot of catching up to do! Welcome to all the new folks on the site!! -Gary, I don't know how you keep up!

Ferdinand is back in the "Doctor's Office" (Not that I am much of a doctor πŸ˜‰)

The Bronco sat nearly all year I am sad to report. I work in the Healthcare world and 2020 has tried us at great lengths for sure. There have been more than a few stressors this year gnawing at all of us I am sure. At this point I need some wrench therapy...

I did overhaul the garage this spring so the new work space is really nice. (I feel pretty spoiled to tell you the truth!) Rewired the majority of the garage, new compressed air set-up, new LED lighting (MAN, do I wish I would have done that BEFORE starting the Bronco project!), repaired floor and epoxy coated, built a bunch of cabinetry & storage, plumbed in a wash tub sink, upgraded my tool storage, built a drafting/planning space and bought a TON of storage bins πŸ™ƒ

The wife was so impressed (not that she dare comment about it) that we had my oldest daughter's high school graduation party in there! 🀣

I am now thinking of going the "Overlander" route with Ferdinand. So, my current punch-out list (Dead key (have to jump-start @ the solenoid currently) backfiring issue, new heater core, rebuild factory A/C, steering stabilizer, new battery, and finishing the interior lighting and speaker upgrades) has turned into a new laundry list of things to do. Those interests include: Dual batteries, 3G alternator upgrade, heater core bypass, Trail Lights, roof basket, Custom center consul, CB, low profile lock box in bed, spare tire carrier (if I can ever find one!!), headliner, visor shelf & sun visors, battery kill switch, Apple CarPlay, front hitch, winch, and new axle gears. -side note, the "donor chart" on the alternator upgrade won't load for me (MacBook Air 2019/Catalina/Safari) not sure why but I'm guessing that's on my end.

I hope to capture it all on the forum should anyone find interest. I know I have benefitted an amazing amount from other people sharing their journeys! I have a lot of catching up to do! Welcome to all the new folks on the site!! -Gary, I don't know how you keep up!

Jamie, you've done an amazing job transforming your shop space! :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you confident the Bronco will fit in the garage with a roof basket?

I'm certain this has been an especially challenging year for those in health care.

Record positives the past few days don't inspire confidence as it draws to a close either...

You've got quite a list there now!

Don't let your wife's wishlist feel neglected. πŸ˜‡

As far as starting Ferdinand, try starting in neutral, or investigate the neutral safety switch on the side of the C6.

You can also jumper that whole leg of the harness, up under the dash, and confirm or deny that the red/blue pink/blue is at issue.

Maybe it's as simple as the plug not being seated???

Edit: I'm constantly in awe of Gary's productivity.

And very grateful for his generosity. :nabble_anim_claps:

Jamie - Wow! Just WOW! That is a magical transformation! I love it! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree with Jim on the appreciation for all healthcare professionals. This has been a horrible year and it is only going to get worse. I thank all of you and pray for you daily.

On the overlanding, that's the direction I'm heading on Big Blue, so in the immortal words of Paul Simon:

β€œSay, ain’t we walking down the same street together

On the very same day?”

I said, β€œHey Senorita that’s astute”

I said, Why don’t we get together

And call ourselves an institute?”

Ok, maybe not an "institute" but maybe a forum? :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the CB, there appears to be a shift on away from CB to GMRS in the offroad arena. You can see where Bob/Nothing Special brought that up in Big Blue's Transformation thread here, and the following conversation re that. To cut to the chase, I bought Midland's bundle of their MXT115 base/mobile unit and two GCT1000 handhelds's for $210 from Amazon. So you may want to research the communications area before you buy.

Jamie, you've done an amazing job transforming your shop space! :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you confident the Bronco will fit in the garage with a roof basket?

I'm certain this has been an especially challenging year for those in health care.

Record positives the past few days don't inspire confidence as it draws to a close either...

You've got quite a list there now!

Don't let your wife's wishlist feel neglected. πŸ˜‡

As far as starting Ferdinand, try starting in neutral, or investigate the neutral safety switch on the side of the C6.

You can also jumper that whole leg of the harness, up under the dash, and confirm or deny that the red/blue pink/blue is at issue.

Maybe it's as simple as the plug not being seated???

Edit: I'm constantly in awe of Gary's productivity.

And very grateful for his generosity. :nabble_anim_claps:

Evening Jim.

Yes, you are very observant. The roof rack will put me over my height to get into the garage unfortunately. Am still thinking of a detachable mount set up for it. I have some left over Unistrut I have been eyeing. We will see. I am still impressed that it fits though. It has a 4" lift and 35's and makes it under the opener door bracket by about an inch and a half. 😬

Thanks for the ideas on the starting problem. I am going to check those wires and the plug! Back in the day I had someone steal my '82 F150 and they destroyed the column, so I vaguely remember how that all went. (Same set up; auto trans, tilt wheel, w/speed control) What is odd this time around is that it just up and stopped working. Usually when that actuator goes bad you feel it snap. (Although, I am sure that is not always the case.) The ignition problem and the backfiring really kept me from putting into more daily use this year. I am hoping to remedy that soon.

Jamie - Wow! Just WOW! That is a magical transformation! I love it! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree with Jim on the appreciation for all healthcare professionals. This has been a horrible year and it is only going to get worse. I thank all of you and pray for you daily.

On the overlanding, that's the direction I'm heading on Big Blue, so in the immortal words of Paul Simon:

β€œSay, ain’t we walking down the same street together

On the very same day?”

I said, β€œHey Senorita that’s astute”

I said, Why don’t we get together

And call ourselves an institute?”

Ok, maybe not an "institute" but maybe a forum? :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the CB, there appears to be a shift on away from CB to GMRS in the offroad arena. You can see where Bob/Nothing Special brought that up in Big Blue's Transformation thread here, and the following conversation re that. To cut to the chase, I bought Midland's bundle of their MXT115 base/mobile unit and two GCT1000 handhelds's for $210 from Amazon. So you may want to research the communications area before you buy.

Good evening Gary. Thanks to the both of you for the appreciation and well wishes. It is certainly appreciated. We will get through this, I have no doubt. (For we walk by faith and not by sight.) I am sure the 4 B's will help a lot (Bible, Bronco, Bullets, & Bikes) A man has to have a balance in this life. πŸ˜‰

I am SUPER excited to hear you are going for an Overlander with Big Blue!! I read through that thread a good while ago. That is one I need to catch up on!

I have 2 old CB radios I was going to dig out of the shed, but now I am thinking your suggestion may be a vast improvement over what I was thinking. Still need to run down a few more rabbit holes on that.

Did you get a chance to check that donor alternator list? Is it just my mac and browser you think?

I only ask, because out of all the new items I hope to tackle, I was thinking of doing the dual batteries first (after the backfire and ignition issues) because they will take up a lot of space. I have found several ideas online to set them up. Do you have any favorites? Have you ever done it on a Bullnose?

Good evening Gary. Thanks to the both of you for the appreciation and well wishes. It is certainly appreciated. We will get through this, I have no doubt. (For we walk by faith and not by sight.) I am sure the 4 B's will help a lot (Bible, Bronco, Bullets, & Bikes) A man has to have a balance in this life. πŸ˜‰

I am SUPER excited to hear you are going for an Overlander with Big Blue!! I read through that thread a good while ago. That is one I need to catch up on!

I have 2 old CB radios I was going to dig out of the shed, but now I am thinking your suggestion may be a vast improvement over what I was thinking. Still need to run down a few more rabbit holes on that.

Did you get a chance to check that donor alternator list? Is it just my mac and browser you think?

I only ask, because out of all the new items I hope to tackle, I was thinking of doing the dual batteries first (after the backfire and ignition issues) because they will take up a lot of space. I have found several ideas online to set them up. Do you have any favorites? Have you ever done it on a Bullnose?

I've been quite happy with the 130A LRC alternator I purchased from DB Electrical.

It's really hard to go wrong at that price, and has a one year no Ferdinand poop warranty.

You only need to run a 3/8-16 tap through the adjuster ear.

If you go hunting in the junkyard for a ~'92 Taurus with the 3.8l V-6 you're probably going to want to buy a load response control regulator.

One I know works is F5RU-10316-BA

I don't have dual batteries, but have recently had some discussion about wiring a manual override to the Cole-Hersee automatic isolators.

Gary's got a LOT of amp hours under the hood of Big Blue.

I've been quite happy with the 130A LRC alternator I purchased from DB Electrical.

It's really hard to go wrong at that price, and has a one year no Ferdinand poop warranty.

You only need to run a 3/8-16 tap through the adjuster ear.

If you go hunting in the junkyard for a ~'92 Taurus with the 3.8l V-6 you're probably going to want to buy a load response control regulator.

One I know works is F5RU-10316-BA

I don't have dual batteries, but have recently had some discussion about wiring a manual override to the Cole-Hersee automatic isolators.

Gary's got a LOT of amp hours under the hood of Big Blue.

Jamie - The alternator table works for me, although it doesn't come up at the top left of the spreadsheet. But you can scroll to it.

On the CB vs GMRS, one of the attractive features to me is the size of the antennas. The one that comes with the package I bought is ~6" tall. Yes, 6 inches! And that includes the magnetic base. Compare that to any CB antenna. So you can slap it on the roof of the truck and not worry about knocking it off in most cases.

And that translates into small but very powerful handhelds. The antennas on them are maybe 5" long and they are said to have a normal range back to the mobile unit of 10 - 15 miles, and in worst-case conditions of 5 - 10 miles.

As Jim said, I have a LOT of amp-hours under the hood of Big Blue. And a 130A 3G alternator with a 2.5 second LRC regulator in it. And I have a factory auxiliary battery tray plus a Cole Hersee 48530 Smart Battery Isolator w/a 200A rating connecting the two. The isolator doesn't connect the two batteries until one of them is up to 13.2V, and will disconnect them if one gets down to 12.7V.

Jamie - The alternator table works for me, although it doesn't come up at the top left of the spreadsheet. But you can scroll to it.

On the CB vs GMRS, one of the attractive features to me is the size of the antennas. The one that comes with the package I bought is ~6" tall. Yes, 6 inches! And that includes the magnetic base. Compare that to any CB antenna. So you can slap it on the roof of the truck and not worry about knocking it off in most cases.

And that translates into small but very powerful handhelds. The antennas on them are maybe 5" long and they are said to have a normal range back to the mobile unit of 10 - 15 miles, and in worst-case conditions of 5 - 10 miles.

As Jim said, I have a LOT of amp-hours under the hood of Big Blue. And a 130A 3G alternator with a 2.5 second LRC regulator in it. And I have a factory auxiliary battery tray plus a Cole Hersee 48530 Smart Battery Isolator w/a 200A rating connecting the two. The isolator doesn't connect the two batteries until one of them is up to 13.2V, and will disconnect them if one gets down to 12.7V.

To clarify, 12.7 is just above the normal "resting" voltage of a fully charged 6-cell lead acid battery.

So, the isolator will open only while the alternator is charging.

The above mentioned regulator has a set point of 14.35 V

To clarify, 12.7 is just above the normal "resting" voltage of a fully charged 6-cell lead acid battery.

So, the isolator will open only while the alternator is charging.

The above mentioned regulator has a set point of 14.35 V

I think you meant "close" only while the alternator is charging. But yes, the isolator does a good job of keeping both batteries fully charged.