Bullnose Forums

Noisy Power Steering

The Lares for me is excellent.

Lee has a C2 with Saginaw guts, but it is spendy. One reason to convert to saginaw is BIG tires.

As for Bluetop: I bought and installed one a few months ago. I can confirm it is WELL WORTH the money, especially when combined with a borgeson.

I have the blue top and borg and they are great. The PS pump I have is an auto zone C2 that hasn't complained too bad as of yet. With the 31inch tires I had, it all felt pretty good. Since going to 33inch tires it has all got a little sloppy again.

I am in the process (many months of purchases) of accumulating all the parts of a front end rebuild (from pitman arm to wheel hubs and bearings, ball joints and shocks/springs and everything else I could think of), it would seem to be a good idea to upgrade the PS pump as part of all this.

The Lares is now officially on my list...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Lares PS pump looks interesting.

Anyone installed one and have any feedback?

Earlier this month, I emailed Lares and asked about their CII:

Is this pump exact reproduction of Ford OEM ones? Which are well known to be a bit noisy... Or maybe you made some modifications about it?

Their answer:

Hello JF,

Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE.

I really considered the Lares' one.

Seems to be very interesting.

I hesitated a lot, but finally decided to go with the Lee, I am really intrigued about this CII with Saginaw guts...

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Is this pump exact reproduction of Ford OEM ones? Which are well known to be a bit noisy... Or maybe you made some modifications about it?

Their answer:

Hello JF,

Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE.

I hesitated a lot, but finally decided to go with the Lee, I am really intrigued about this CII with Saginaw guts...

I am sure that is the best way to go, looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Money is tight this year, so we will see where it goes. The C2 is not complaining too much as of yet, so let's see what happens after the front end rebuild. At least replacing the pump is easy and I can do it any time.

One thing I do not understand is why did not Ford run the PS line through a FINNED cooler. That would help a lot!

The extra line going around the Cross Member is fine, and adds volume, but heat transfer needs fins I would think.

My 1972 F-250 had a Finned PS cooler. Wonder how hard that would be to engineer to a newer truck?

-----

Heat can also transfer through direct contact, like through the metal contact between the PS line and crossmember, or your hand if you touch something hot.

Their answer:

Hello JF,

Hey Jeff,

How do you like the Lee with the Sag guts? I was considering that one as well.

Hey Jeff,

How do you like the Lee with the Sag guts? I was considering that one as well.

Erik, I am waiting about UPS, arrival planned somewhere in the middle of next week.

I plan to do the PS job (pump+box) during the first week of June.

I'll document it here.

Erik, I am waiting about UPS, arrival planned somewhere in the middle of next week.

I'll document it here.

Sweet. I am interested.

And as for the comment above on a finned PS—EASY to do. Those finned unites can be found for less than $40. I have not done it, but back in the day before JAGG made oil cooler unites for the Harley, they used a fabbed up two tube unit for extra cooling. Not as pretty as the JAGG but it worked great—cooled at least 20 degrees.

My 1972 F-250 had a Finned PS cooler. Wonder how hard that would be to engineer to a newer truck?

If you want some additional cooling cut off the top of the passenger side loop and install a small finned cooler like the Derale 13213 for ~$30

That will keep it up out of the way of most road debris and you won't have to go crazy re-plumbing the whole system.

I'll document it here.

Sweet. I am interested.

And as for the comment above on a finned PS—EASY to do. Those finned unites can be found for less than $40. I have not done it, but back in the day before JAGG made oil cooler unites for the Harley, they used a fabbed up two tube unit for extra cooling. Not as pretty as the JAGG but it worked great—cooled at least 20 degrees.

UPS dropped the Lee PS pump at my door:

A2650DCB-87B4-4659-BB64-6335E954D33D.jpeg.9fa335b9ebdb0c31d9bc9124397c0c7d.jpeg

49919523-75B3-4A57-AAA1-79C43949F27A.jpeg.b740a9c0e42e8ca244a4ea2c6653c9f4.jpeg

89A8FC59-9ADE-4455-8C8C-FAE66E08AFDF.jpeg.47cca96be649f8eb5fc3ccfb8c957537.jpeg

Won't have time next week, will start the PS renewal following week (beginning of June).