Bullnose Forums

Noisy Power Steering

Jeff, your arrow is pointing to the input shaft seal.

If it were me I would pull the plastic rag joint shroud back up the shaft and thoroughly clean the area.

Start the engine and observe for where it's coming from.

Maybe have someone else turn the wheels while I watched closely for weeping.

Ok, good advice.

I'll start that way.

:nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, good advice.

I'll start that way.

:nabble_smiley_good:

One thing I do not understand is why did not Ford run the PS line through a FINNED cooler. That would help a lot!

The extra line going around the Cross Member is fine, and adds volume, but heat transfer needs fins I would think.

One thing I do not understand is why did not Ford run the PS line through a FINNED cooler. That would help a lot!

The extra line going around the Cross Member is fine, and adds volume, but heat transfer needs fins I would think.

I never noticed that my old C2 was running hot? :nabble_anim_confused:

Certainly the Saginaw doesn't.

They should be thoroughly warm just like any other hydraulic system.

That cross member is a pretty good heat sink and is at least as effective as a little finned loop on the AC compressor

If it were me I would pull the plastic rag joint shroud back up the shaft and thoroughly clean the area.

Test done. Yep, the PS gear box started to leak, generously. This old original box is at the end of the road.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

I decided it is time for a PS renewal. I do not want to dig myself in a refurbishment of the gear box, so I'll simply change it.

Since Blue Top doesn't ship across the border, and Redhead isn't cheap (US to CAD $ exchange, plus expansive shipping), I'll go with NAPA refurbished one, correct price and lifetime warranty.

Playing in that area of the truck, I'll change the PS pump too. I'll buy myself a nice treat with a Lee replacement PS pump. We'll see how it does, hoping it will live up to my expectations, stay tuned.

The column itself is a NOS installed during resto, was lucky to find it.

So, after this operation, the PS will be like new.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Test done. Yep, the PS gear box started to leak, generously. This old original box is at the end of the road.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

I decided it is time for a PS renewal. I do not want to dig myself in a refurbishment of the gear box, so I'll simply change it.

Since Blue Top doesn't ship across the border, and Redhead isn't cheap (US to CAD $ exchange, plus expansive shipping), I'll go with NAPA refurbished one, correct price and lifetime warranty.

Playing in that area of the truck, I'll change the PS pump too. I'll buy myself a nice treat with a Lee replacement PS pump. We'll see how it does, hoping it will live up to my expectations, stay tuned.

The column itself is a NOS installed during resto, was lucky to find it.

So, after this operation, the PS will be like new.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Be aware that all refurbished steering boxes, other than Redhead & Blue Top, just re-use an already worn casting. So they will have some slop, and how much is down to the luck of the draw.

The PO of Big Blue put a high-dollar rebuilt box on and it is surely where the play is. I really wish he’d spent the money and gotten a Redhead or Blue Top. Everything else is new, but the steering still isn’t tight. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Be aware that all refurbished steering boxes, other than Redhead & Blue Top, just re-use an already worn casting.

Yep, there are plenty of comments on the Forum about that, I am aware of.

But across the border, a Redhead is very very expansive.

So I take a chance with a rebuilt NAPA one, crossing fingers. Really need to fix this oil leak.

If I go to US, I'll probably consider to take a Blue Top aboard. We'll see.

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Be aware that all refurbished steering boxes, other than Redhead & Blue Top, just re-use an already worn casting.

Yep, there are plenty of comments on the Forum about that, I am aware of.

But across the border, a Redhead is very very expansive.

So I take a chance with a rebuilt NAPA one, crossing fingers. Really need to fix this oil leak.

If I go to US, I'll probably consider to take a Blue Top aboard. We'll see.

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I understand. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the issues. :nabble_smiley_good:

I understand. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the issues. :nabble_smiley_good:

That Lares PS pump looks interesting.

I have 33inch tires on Espy right now so anything that helps the lil C2 out is a good thing. Seems to be a fair compromise between performance and $.

Anyone installed one and have any feedback?

That Lares PS pump looks interesting.

I have 33inch tires on Espy right now so anything that helps the lil C2 out is a good thing. Seems to be a fair compromise between performance and $.

Anyone installed one and have any feedback?

The Lares for me is excellent.

Lee has a C2 with Saginaw guts, but it is spendy. One reason to convert to saginaw is BIG tires.

As for Bluetop: I bought and installed one a few months ago. I can confirm it is WELL WORTH the money, especially when combined with a borgeson.