Bullnose Forums

Noisy Power Steering

Hi Gentlemen,

Yesterday was a warm sunny day, and I was moving my Mom to a new residence. Big Bro was excited about his first ride of the year.

Don't know if he found the winter too long, but he has his power steering noisier than ever (never used to be really quiet, but now it's crying loudly).

No leak, full of oil. Seems to operate "normally".

I understand this pump noise isn't normal, but should I wonder about anything specific, is there any preventive action to take before something breaks?

Thanks for your advices!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CII pumps are frequently noisy, but it isn't normal for them to change over the winter. Is there any chance you just forgot how noisy it is?

And what type of fluid do you have in it? I think Type F is the normal fill and I've read that other types might quieten it, but haven't tried it.

The CII pumps are frequently noisy, but it isn't normal for them to change over the winter. Is there any chance you just forgot how noisy it is?

And what type of fluid do you have in it? I think Type F is the normal fill and I've read that other types might quieten it, but haven't tried it.

I replied to another thread early this morning that Ford's recommended fill in the C2 is type-F.

It's the nature of these pumps to growl or whine but a substantial change is not good.

Is the fluid clear red?

Is it milky, like it may have seen condensation over winter or consumed some water through the cap vent hole (word of warning, don't turn the wheel with the engine off unless you want to see how far the C2 can pee all over your engine)

Some people say that a half tube of limited slip additive will quiet these pumps down.

I was fortunate that Bill was able to find me a Saginaw pump and bracket from an E350 at his friend Donnie Medilln's (?) scrap yard back in 2012.

I'm very thankful for for this! :nabble_smiley_beam:

I replied to another thread early this morning that Ford's recommended fill in the C2 is type-F.

It's the nature of these pumps to growl or whine but a substantial change is not good.

Is the fluid clear red?

Is it milky, like it may have seen condensation over winter or consumed some water through the cap vent hole (word of warning, don't turn the wheel with the engine off unless you want to see how far the C2 can pee all over your engine)

Some people say that a half tube of limited slip additive will quiet these pumps down.

I was fortunate that Bill was able to find me a Saginaw pump and bracket from an E350 at his friend Donnie Medilln's (?) scrap yard back in 2012.

I'm very thankful for for this! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Hadn't heard about the LS additive trick.

So, you are thanking Bill for your Saginaw and bracket, and I'm thanking you for mine. LOVE the Sag. No whine, no mess if I turn the wheel with the engine off, etc. Thanks again!

Hadn't heard about the LS additive trick.

So, you are thanking Bill for your Saginaw and bracket, and I'm thanking you for mine. LOVE the Sag. No whine, no mess if I turn the wheel with the engine off, etc. Thanks again!

I can't say I've had to resort to the friction modifier, but I was really close before I 'upgraded' to the Sag.

There were more than a few that said it helped, back on FTE.

I would definitely start with a fluid purge. (Run the return into a bucket, remove the belt and drive the pump with a hex in the pump shaft while keeping the reservoir full)

One's got to expect the rotor or disc will eventually wear or warp, but I can't say why unless the fluid gets too low or some debris came from the quadrant.

Saginaw pumps and bracketry are definitely thin on the ground after Cash For Clunkers and the astronomical scrap prices before tariffs on scrap going to China were implemented. (this might not be an issue in Canada)

There were certainly plenty of E-series vans with 351's built back then.

Remember that you need the unit complete from the front of the cylinder head.

The bracket and pulley do not interchange with a C2.

I can't say I've had to resort to the friction modifier, but I was really close before I 'upgraded' to the Sag.

There were more than a few that said it helped, back on FTE.

I would definitely start with a fluid purge. (Run the return into a bucket, remove the belt and drive the pump with a hex in the pump shaft while keeping the reservoir full)

One's got to expect the rotor or disc will eventually wear or warp, but I can't say why unless the fluid gets too low or some debris came from the quadrant.

Saginaw pumps and bracketry are definitely thin on the ground after Cash For Clunkers and the astronomical scrap prices before tariffs on scrap going to China were implemented. (this might not be an issue in Canada)

There were certainly plenty of E-series vans with 351's built back then.

Remember that you need the unit complete from the front of the cylinder head.

The bracket and pulley do not interchange with a C2.

I agree that I'd do a complete purge. Clean fluid might do wonders, and the CII pump is cheap to replace if needed.

You can usually 'rent' the pulley tool from the auto parts store when you get the pump. 💡

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be money ahead to replace the pump and in the process replace the fluid. Would hate to replace the fluid and then discover the pump is bad.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be money ahead to replace the pump and in the process replace the fluid. Would hate to replace the fluid and then discover the pump is bad.

Can you buy one new?

'Rebuilt' pumps can be very hit or miss.

Type F is cheap, and if it doesn't help you can pump it into a bucket like I outlined above.

But I'm pragmatic (and 'skint')

Ultimately I want to find the cause rather than being a parts swapper.

Can you buy one new?

'Rebuilt' pumps can be very hit or miss.

Type F is cheap, and if it doesn't help you can pump it into a bucket like I outlined above.

But I'm pragmatic (and 'skint')

Ultimately I want to find the cause rather than being a parts swapper.

And I'll thank both of you (Gary and Jim) for my Saginaw pump! No noise, no leaks and easy turning of the wheel. This is one of the best mods I've done to my truck.