Bullnose Forums

Muffler

Yes, large Magnaflows have a low tone.

And a long time ago I ran Thrush glass packs on a 348 Chevy. Sounded good but raspy.

Mine wasnt raspy but I think that is more dependent on engine and firing order.

I do plan on getting some good video of my Magnaflows cause so many online for the ones I have seem to be raspy or they pop. Ive never heard a magnaflow act like that before. I suspect they may have a bad running engine or they have an air pump hooked up but gutted the emission systems.

I do have a video of my truck from the interior, its just crank up, rev a couple times and idle in gear. You can hear the exhaust but it wasnt done as an exhaust video. I will have to upload that as a comparison video on my EFI thread. I hope the Magnaflow doesnt sound horrible with headers and my build cause I have heard enough at work to know they are very mellow and they have a nice late model sound to them over flowmasters that are super raspy.

Yes, large Magnaflows have a low tone.

And a long time ago I ran Thrush glass packs on a 348 Chevy. Sounded good but raspy.

Mine wasnt raspy but I think that is more dependent on engine and firing order.

I do plan on getting some good video of my Magnaflows cause so many online for the ones I have seem to be raspy or they pop. Ive never heard a magnaflow act like that before. I suspect they may have a bad running engine or they have an air pump hooked up but gutted the emission systems.

I do have a video of my truck from the interior, its just crank up, rev a couple times and idle in gear. You can hear the exhaust but it wasnt done as an exhaust video. I will have to upload that as a comparison video on my EFI thread. I hope the Magnaflow doesnt sound horrible with headers and my build cause I have heard enough at work to know they are very mellow and they have a nice late model sound to them over flowmasters that are super raspy.

You can hear Big Blue’s exhaust here:

Sounds nice. Do the magnaflow mufflers have a low tone? And if you have any knowledge, how do they compare to the sound of thrush glasspacks?

Didnt take as long as I thought it would.

This video is from 2016, I didnt take it as an exhaust video but you can hear the exhaust from inside the cab with the driverside door open. Stock rebuilt 302 no converters but rest of the emission systems are still in place.

https://youtu.be/nQ_j7FXPbfM

When I get the magnaflow installed I will do a follow up video and post it on my EFI thread.

Didnt take as long as I thought it would.

This video is from 2016, I didnt take it as an exhaust video but you can hear the exhaust from inside the cab with the driverside door open. Stock rebuilt 302 no converters but rest of the emission systems are still in place.

https://youtu.be/nQ_j7FXPbfM

When I get the magnaflow installed I will do a follow up video and post it on my EFI thread.

You can not compere a v8 to a straight six even using the same muffler, the op has a 300 six.

I believe a larger dia. pipe also makes a deeper sound.

I know down here the red necks like the loud raspy sound that just goes right thru you.

They cant be running a cat or muffler and most likely small dia. pipes.

I am afraid to get to close to them to look as I might catch something not good!

All it dose is make noise and to make it worst they put a 4" or 5" dia. (or bigger) tail pipe tip end on that acts like a megaphone :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Dave ----

You can not compere a v8 to a straight six even using the same muffler, the op has a 300 six.

I know down here the red necks like the loud raspy sound that just goes right thru you.

I am afraid to get to close to them to look as I might catch something not good!

All it dose is make noise and to make it worst they put a 4" or 5" dia. (or bigger) tail pipe tip end on that acts like a megaphone :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Dave ----

I’m deciding between a magnaflow and a thrush for sure. I’m still a bit unsure about which would sound better on my 300 (lower tone). We had some exhaust work done before and I believe the new pipes are around 2.25”. No cats either. I hear some people saying thrush are raspy and magnaflow can be raspy. What would be lower toned on my rig? Thanks

I’m deciding between a magnaflow and a thrush for sure. I’m still a bit unsure about which would sound better on my 300 (lower tone). We had some exhaust work done before and I believe the new pipes are around 2.25”. No cats either. I hear some people saying thrush are raspy and magnaflow can be raspy. What would be lower toned on my rig? Thanks

In my experience a large Magnaflow will have a lower tone.

Dave ----

Larger pipes also are quieter in general. That was something I learned first hand at work installing 3" exhaust on customers cars I thought they would be crazy loud but in fact they were slightly quieter and didnt get louder.

You are right a 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder wont sound the same with the same muffler. I missed where he had a 6 cylinder. Still if I had a 6 cylinder I would probably look at thrush and magnaflow as it seems like those sound good on 6 cylinders as well. Other brands seem to sound a bit tinny when used on a 6 cylinder. I know Flowmaster makes a muffler just for 6 cylinders but I avoid Flowmaster as they always have a raspy sounding exhaust and they do love to drone in the cabin at highway speeds. I never had a drone with my thrush on my truck or on my Mercury. Im hopeful the XL 3-Chamber is the same way, shouldnt be a problem with my truck as the muffler is situated under the bed but I still dont want a drone of any kind.

Dave ----

Larger pipes also are quieter in general. That was something I learned first hand at work installing 3" exhaust on customers cars I thought they would be crazy loud but in fact they were slightly quieter and didnt get louder.

You are right a 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder wont sound the same with the same muffler. I missed where he had a 6 cylinder. Still if I had a 6 cylinder I would probably look at thrush and magnaflow as it seems like those sound good on 6 cylinders as well. Other brands seem to sound a bit tinny when used on a 6 cylinder. I know Flowmaster makes a muffler just for 6 cylinders but I avoid Flowmaster as they always have a raspy sounding exhaust and they do love to drone in the cabin at highway speeds. I never had a drone with my thrush on my truck or on my Mercury. Im hopeful the XL 3-Chamber is the same way, shouldnt be a problem with my truck as the muffler is situated under the bed but I still dont want a drone of any kind.

Just to put my 2 cents in. I recently put a Flowmaster on my 4.9. I paid a the higher price because I wanted that killer sound. At the end of the day, it's still a 6 cylinder and runs really quiet. If you want that killer sound, it think it will take more than a muffler to do it on the 4.9. If I had to do it all over again, I would have put my money elsewhere.

Just to put my 2 cents in. I recently put a Flowmaster on my 4.9. I paid a the higher price because I wanted that killer sound. At the end of the day, it's still a 6 cylinder and runs really quiet. If you want that killer sound, it think it will take more than a muffler to do it on the 4.9. If I had to do it all over again, I would have put my money elsewhere.

I will add mine, if want a "sporty" sound on a 6, use the EFI exhaust manifolds, or a set of headers and run duals, it will sound like an old E-Type Jaguar, or Austin-Healy 3000. A flat 6 with duals sounds like a Porsche 911.

What manifold are you running, factory log or EFI

I will add mine, if want a "sporty" sound on a 6, use the EFI exhaust manifolds, or a set of headers and run duals, it will sound like an old E-Type Jaguar, or Austin-Healy 3000. A flat 6 with duals sounds like a Porsche 911.

Well the EFI and the welded Thrush I cant say sounds like any of them, well maybe like the flat 6 as I have not heard many of them or it did not trigger a sound I would remember like the Jag or Healy it is a sound you dont forget.

I have to say at idle it is more like a v8 outside. I cant really say what it sounds at speed outside the truck as I have not been outwith someone driving it.

Dave ----