Bullnose Forums

Muffler

Hello everyone,

I have a 4.9 1985 and was wondering what glasspack muffler I should get. I want something that sounds deep and low. I also don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to make my truck sound like this:

Glasspack wise I have a Thrush glasspack on my truck and on my Mercury. Its a mellow sounding exhaust note that isnt excessive.

I how ever wont be reusing it on my truck how ever, I will be running a Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber muffler instead.

This is the model I got on my truck and Mercury they come in various sizes.

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/thrush-glasspack-muffler

Glasspack wise I have a Thrush glasspack on my truck and on my Mercury. Its a mellow sounding exhaust note that isnt excessive.

I how ever wont be reusing it on my truck how ever, I will be running a Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber muffler instead.

This is the model I got on my truck and Mercury they come in various sizes.

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/thrush-glasspack-muffler

Thanks. How do magnaflows sound?

Well the first one you dont know if he is running log or EFI manifolds as I believe that will make a difference.

I am guessing no cats on either as that will change the sound so if you need to run one for smog just know that.

What intake & carb they running?

The other thing is where can they get replacement parts?

I have run EFI manifolds and no cat and full system out to a factory tail pipe.

First system was stock big round muffler and it was way to quite but it was free off my parts truck.

When the inlet to the muffler pulled out I replaced it with a factory 94 system as the pipes are bigger than the 81 pipes.

The only thing I did different was a muffler change from the big round factory one to a Thrush welded muffler. I like the sound, dose not sound like a tractor like the first video.

When in high school I and a buddy ran glass packs on our straight six vans and there was no change good or bad.

I also had a Toyota LC with a straight six, header (3 to 2 outlets) to made Y pipe, turbo muffler and tail pipe. Truck also ran a Holley v2 carb with adapter to the factory intake (v2).

It sounded good, not like a tractor but you got to a certin RPM and it would bark. I was a lot younger then but I dont think it was so bad and I took that truck on some long trips back then.

So the point is you need to look at the whole system start to end.

If you dump at the back of the cab you can get sound inside that you may not like.

I say run it all the way to the rear bumper.

Dave ----

I run Magnaflows on everything. Took a Flowmaster off of Rusty as it sounded flatulent and put a Magnaflow on. It sounded great on the 351M.

And I’m running dual Magnaflows on Big Blue and love the sound. But there I have full length headers, a crossover, and full length 2 1/2” pipes.

I run Magnaflows on everything. Took a Flowmaster off of Rusty as it sounded flatulent and put a Magnaflow on. It sounded great on the 351M.

And I’m running dual Magnaflows on Big Blue and love the sound. But there I have full length headers, a crossover, and full length 2 1/2” pipes.

Sounds nice. Do the magnaflow mufflers have a low tone? And if you have any knowledge, how do they compare to the sound of thrush glasspacks?

Sounds nice. Do the magnaflow mufflers have a low tone? And if you have any knowledge, how do they compare to the sound of thrush glasspacks?

Yes, large Magnaflows have a low tone.

And a long time ago I ran Thrush glass packs on a 348 Chevy. Sounded good but raspy.

I couldnt say, I havent got my new engine in the truck yet to hook up the new exhaust.

Online they sound pretty nice. They have a more late model sound.

Some reference material I saved on youtube.

Bronco w/ 302 no cats, 3" exhaust

66 Mustang 289 2V, dual 2" exhaust Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber

61 Tbird 390 FE with XL 3-Chamber

Crown Victoria XL 3-Chamber 2 1/4" exhaust no resonators

Well the first one you dont know if he is running log or EFI manifolds as I believe that will make a difference.

I am guessing no cats on either as that will change the sound so if you need to run one for smog just know that.

What intake & carb they running?

The other thing is where can they get replacement parts?

I have run EFI manifolds and no cat and full system out to a factory tail pipe.

First system was stock big round muffler and it was way to quite but it was free off my parts truck.

When the inlet to the muffler pulled out I replaced it with a factory 94 system as the pipes are bigger than the 81 pipes.

The only thing I did different was a muffler change from the big round factory one to a Thrush welded muffler. I like the sound, dose not sound like a tractor like the first video.

When in high school I and a buddy ran glass packs on our straight six vans and there was no change good or bad.

I also had a Toyota LC with a straight six, header (3 to 2 outlets) to made Y pipe, turbo muffler and tail pipe. Truck also ran a Holley v2 carb with adapter to the factory intake (v2).

It sounded good, not like a tractor but you got to a certin RPM and it would bark. I was a lot younger then but I dont think it was so bad and I took that truck on some long trips back then.

So the point is you need to look at the whole system start to end.

If you dump at the back of the cab you can get sound inside that you may not like.

I say run it all the way to the rear bumper.

Dave ----

On the converters, I found out that it doesnt change the tone as much as it just lowers the decible.

I have the same thrush on my 302 and my 351W, 302 has no converters while my 351W has dual converters after each manifold. They sound exactly the same just the truck is a bit louder than my mercury.

Not mine but this is how my truck when it was running sounded with the thrush glasspack with a 302 and no converters.