Bullnose Forums

Finally Aftermarket AC Systems for 1980-1986 F-Series

Rembrant

...but you can get everything for a factory AC truck to get it working again.

Well, you can get the main hardware like compressor and lines for the engine bay, but if you need any of the vacuum motors, blend doors, controls, ducting, etc that stuff is more difficult. I can't see anybody replacing a working factory AC system, but if you bought a 40 year old Bullnose to restore and none of the AC system worked, I'd install one of these kits in a heartbeat just to have all new stuff.

...but you can get everything for a factory AC truck to get it working again.

Well, you can get the main hardware like compressor and lines for the engine bay, but if you need any of the vacuum motors, blend doors, controls, ducting, etc that stuff is more difficult. I can't see anybody replacing a working factory AC system, but if you bought a 40 year old Bullnose to restore and none of the AC system worked, I'd install one of these kits in a heartbeat just to have all new stuff.

Do you know who you are talking to :nabble_smiley_evil:

The crazy one who replaced half the firewall to get AC :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ok I can see the motors and now the controls, mine were missing, not working but most of the systems are still there it is the compressor & bracket that go missing.

I have not looked at the link but most of the after market systems dont have a way to get fresh air into the cab where factory has "vent".

And if you can close off water to the heater core or have a door that seals you can keep the cab pretty cool before needing AC.

Dave ----

Do you know who you are talking to :nabble_smiley_evil:

The crazy one who replaced half the firewall to get AC

Haha, yes, I sure do know! You will forever hold the crown for that firewall swap Dave, because I don't think anybody else would ever do it (even if they had the skills).

But you know what I mean though...if you had an old system that wasn't working with rotten and warped plastics, etc...swapping in a new AC kit would be pretty slick in my opinion.

Looks like I am going to have to bookmark that. I have Dealer AC but I know eventually the Dealer unit will have a failed evaporator core and will require replacement.

This would be the replacement for me. I just wonder what they are doing with the dash vents. Are you cutting out the whole plastic piece of the dash or is that like a trim piece that sits over the dash.

~Update~

Well that panel mounts under the dash using the glovebox screws. I am not a fan of the passenger side dash vents being under the dash mount. They have you cut the driver side dash bezel for dash mounted vents yet passenger side hangs under the dash. Maybe they will correct that down the road but I think I would try to fabricate the dash vents I currently have to work with the vintage air kit if I ever did the upgrade. At the very least I have thought about tossing my York compressor for a sanden and redo my hoses and try to keep my dealer evaporator going as long as possible.