Bullnose Forums

Looking for better fuel tank options

Flybyrotor

So I've got a problem.....17 gallons of gas isn't nearly enough. I've got two options I feel, and am trying to pick the road I go down. Its an '82 single cab short bed, 4x4 with no spare tire, and an aftermarket 17 gallon side tank.

A) put a 38 gallon rear tank on it and figure out how to plumb it using the existing fuel door

B) keep the side tank and add a 19 gallon rear tank for storage only. this would require figuring out how to transfer fuel efficiently in and out of rear tank, and preferably not burning up a xfer pump in the process.

Has anyone done something similar?

I haven't done anything like this, but have considered it. And I think there might be another option - put a rear tank in, maybe the 38 gallon one, and put a filler in the inside of the bed rather than on the outside. But that would obviously limit access to it when the bed was full, so might not be a good option if you haul frequently.

On the idea of using the front filler to get to a rear tank, you should be able to use marine filler hose. But most of it that I've seen is rather inflexible so you'll need to shop around to find some that will take the bends. And, you'll need to extend the vent that runs inside the filler hose. But you may want to consider using the later style arrangement, which puts the fuel through the smaller hose in the center and the air up the outside. That's supposed to allow you to fill faster, which can easily be a problem with the earlier tanks, and might be a serious problem with a much longer hose.

As for the transfer idea, I thought through that one and decided not to go that way as it got complex.

And I think there might be another option - put a rear tank in,

Food for thought? :nabble_anim_confused:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1517456-1985-f250-38-gallon-rear-fuel-tank-project.html

I definitely agree that the fuel xfer idea seems the most complicated, I’m just drawn to it because I cAn use a 19 gallon rear tank and not have this huge monster hanging down underneath. So far in my researching I havent found a measurement of how far the 38 gallon hangs below the frame. I’d also really like to avoid cutting any part of the bed if possible, but I would definitely make things much easier!

I definitely agree that the fuel xfer idea seems the most complicated, I’m just drawn to it because I cAn use a 19 gallon rear tank and not have this huge monster hanging down underneath. So far in my researching I havent found a measurement of how far the 38 gallon hangs below the frame. I’d also really like to avoid cutting any part of the bed if possible, but I would definitely make things much easier!

So I just ordered the F26C 38 gallon tank, just to see what the measurements are and if I like it I'll keep it and go from there. One thing I couldn't get a concise answer on was what the difference between the different F26 tanks, A B C D.

So I just ordered the F26C 38 gallon tank, just to see what the measurements are and if I like it I'll keep it and go from there. One thing I couldn't get a concise answer on was what the difference between the different F26 tanks, A B C D.

-A & -B were for '70's trucks which have a different frame.

-D is for '85/'86 models with fuel injection (which have a larger bung)

-E appears to be for bricknose trucks like mine

I went on the Spectra website and looked up the applications after entering each part #.

-A & -B were for '70's trucks which have a different frame.

-D is for '85/'86 models with fuel injection (which have a larger bung)

-E appears to be for bricknose trucks like mine

I went on the Spectra website and looked up the applications after entering each part #.

Ahh, the frame difference makes sense. I've never looked at the 70's frame, so I figured they were different but hadn't looked in to it. Glad I picked up the right tank, and thanks for the info!

Keep us updated. I’m curious on what you think of the 38 gallon tank regarding fitment and gauge accuracy. I’m still trying to decide between the 38 gallon spectra (direct fit, but supposedly hard to get the gauge to read right and go-fish on a skid plate)... or a 33 gallon Bronco tank (no sender modification needed and skid plate available, but cross member modifications needed to mount it in a F series truck). Maybe a small hole 38 gallon spectra could use a Bronco sending unit?

Keep us updated. I’m curious on what you think of the 38 gallon tank regarding fitment and gauge accuracy. I’m still trying to decide between the 38 gallon spectra (direct fit, but supposedly hard to get the gauge to read right and go-fish on a skid plate)... or a 33 gallon Bronco tank (no sender modification needed and skid plate available, but cross member modifications needed to mount it in a F series truck). Maybe a small hole 38 gallon spectra could use a Bronco sending unit?

Here's another source: https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1980-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-1986-ford-f-series-stepside-outer-fuel-filler-hose-front-tank/

• 3 years later...

Did anything ever come of this? I'm looking for more range on my single tank long box truck and don't want to add another fuel door nor run dual tanks. I'm curious if they figured out a way to hook the filler neck to the stock location.