Bullnose Forums

Introducing Myself

Schwabber

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An off topic question:

I see you say you're from Northern California, Bay Area.

As an east* coaster I've always thought of San Francisco as central California, and that you had to be above Marin and Sonoma before it was 'northern'?

Maybe a line straight west from Tahoe, in the crook?

I think of Mendocino or Ft. Bragg as northern, and below Santa Barbara as southern, but I guess I'm too literal?

What's the consensus, from a Californian perspective?

Just coming back to this after being preempted by other matters for the day. Will get back to you on the more important stuff tomorrow, but the off-topic is easy and about all I want to tackle right now, after having my pc go all BSOD on me while putting finishing touches on a well-crafted response on the weightier matters :(

I am originally from Ventura, which is just down from Santa Barbara as you travel 101 from north to south. When I lived there, we always considered ourselves to be in So Cal, and SF to be part of Nor Cal. Now that I am further north, I find that folks here consider this Central Cal, and like you said, Eureka, Fr Bragg, Mendocino to be Nor Cal. But my old notions die hard, I suppose.

Brian

Just coming back to this after being preempted by other matters for the day. Will get back to you on the more important stuff tomorrow, but the off-topic is easy and about all I want to tackle right now, after having my pc go all BSOD on me while putting finishing touches on a well-crafted response on the weightier matters :(

I am originally from Ventura, which is just down from Santa Barbara as you travel 101 from north to south. When I lived there, we always considered ourselves to be in So Cal, and SF to be part of Nor Cal. Now that I am further north, I find that folks here consider this Central Cal, and like you said, Eureka, Fr Bragg, Mendocino to be Nor Cal. But my old notions die hard, I suppose.

Brian

My ex-wife was born in San Francisco proper and that's the way she spoke of it.

Of course, she moved out here when she was 6-7.

If you lived at the South Pole everything is north of you...

Sorry to hear about your crash. :nabble_smiley_sad:

It really sucks to lose a bunch of work, and sometimes even data, depending on system and cause.

My ex-wife was born in San Francisco proper and that's the way she spoke of it.

Of course, she moved out here when she was 6-7.

If you lived at the South Pole everything is north of you...

Sorry to hear about your crash. :nabble_smiley_sad:

It really sucks to lose a bunch of work, and sometimes even data, depending on system and cause.

I was raised in Kansas, in which the marker for the geographic center of the lower 48 states resides. We considered ourselves Mid-westerners. But people talk about Chicago as being "mid-west"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, computer crashes are a huge pain. Hope you get the data back.

Gosh Brian, I'm sorry I dropped the ball.

Gary edited out a bunch of banter we had hijacked your thread with and I followed it into Big Blues thread.

Never noticed you replied here. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok.

So I see where the instructions show cutting off the plug and it says "if this wire exists, splice it into the yellow (B) wire."

But since you're not using the pair of B/O wires and their fuselink anyway you should try to unwrap this yellow(?) wire back up to the main harness.

Instead of 'splice' you could put a ring terminal and add it to the fuse holder or hot side of the starter relay.

Unfortunately Gary doesn't seem to have an EVTM page showing the 2G in a bullnose with an ammeter.

I'll have to find that diagram, but I think you don't really need it since the regulator plug you have now is looped to the output stud.

Let me double check. Because I don't want to miss something WRT your specific year and model.

Jim - ok, as stated in the off-topic response, no worries about the delayed response from you.

And no, the only lost data from the BSOD event last night was my thoughtfully composed and nearly complete response to your last note from the 3rd. Let me see if I can do it justice:

1. You mentioned the yellow wire coming from the old 2g plug and the instruction sheet. That instruction says "if small wire exists, splice it into the yellow "S" wire. You had referenced it being a "B" wire, perhaps because the image quality is not that great(?) Not sure how that would impact your advise but thought it should be clarified.

2. This truck is 302 5.0 EFI. Looking at the wiring diagram you shared for the 86 it explains for me why the white wire coming off the b terminal plug wasn't connected to anything(aftermarket misrepair, perhaps?)

Ok, that's not everything I had in last nights aborted response, but it's all I can muster with a slight hang-over.

Thanks, Brian

Jim - ok, as stated in the off-topic response, no worries about the delayed response from you.

And no, the only lost data from the BSOD event last night was my thoughtfully composed and nearly complete response to your last note from the 3rd. Let me see if I can do it justice:

1. You mentioned the yellow wire coming from the old 2g plug and the instruction sheet. That instruction says "if small wire exists, splice it into the yellow "S" wire. You had referenced it being a "B" wire, perhaps because the image quality is not that great(?) Not sure how that would impact your advise but thought it should be clarified.

2. This truck is 302 5.0 EFI. Looking at the wiring diagram you shared for the 86 it explains for me why the white wire coming off the b terminal plug wasn't connected to anything(aftermarket misrepair, perhaps?)

Ok, that's not everything I had in last nights aborted response, but it's all I can muster with a slight hang-over.

Thanks, Brian

Jim and Gary - looks like both of you are monitoring this thread. Hopefully the both of you ganging up on me will finally get me over the hump. Every time I think I have it, I go back to the truck and lose my confidence. I believe the key to understanding everything is making a diagram of the current situation, so I sat down and drew up a diagram of the wiring of the 2g as I found it. Perhaps it will help you understand some of my confusion. And yes, it is accurate. And, no, there is no "I" wire coming directly off the regulator.

Brian2gAltWiringDiagram.jpg.503cdc86214aeaa374401c4ea15f87dd.jpg

I was raised in Kansas, in which the marker for the geographic center of the lower 48 states resides. We considered ourselves Mid-westerners. But people talk about Chicago as being "mid-west"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, computer crashes are a huge pain. Hope you get the data back.

Gary - So you too are familiar with the different reference points for a place depending on where are you now. I have a vague recollection of you being somewhere on the east coast, maybe something you said about Newport(?)

Brian

Jim and Gary - looks like both of you are monitoring this thread. Hopefully the both of you ganging up on me will finally get me over the hump. Every time I think I have it, I go back to the truck and lose my confidence. I believe the key to understanding everything is making a diagram of the current situation, so I sat down and drew up a diagram of the wiring of the 2g as I found it. Perhaps it will help you understand some of my confusion. And yes, it is accurate. And, no, there is no "I" wire coming directly off the regulator.

Brian

Are you saying there was no (I) wire in the old 2G regulator plug?

Because there is obviously a Green/Red (I) wire in the new alternator/harness you pictured.

Where you say 'this lead was not connected to anything' , that is the stator wire.

If you don't have a choke or something else to connect it to, then you don't need it with the 2G.

But with the 3G it loops right around and into the stator socket.

You will need to find the (I) wire somewhere in your harness (or find another source of 'ignition on' voltage) and connect it to the green wire of the new regulator plug.

This is what basically 'wakes up' the 3G and provides a current to get the windings creating power when the alternator spins.

I hope I haven't dumbed this down too much.

I don't want to seem like I'm infantalizing anyone.

I'm just trying to put it in simple terms so there is no confusion.

I hope this helps, and please! If it doesn't make sense, let me know so I can try to clarify.

Because there is obviously a Green/Red (I) wire in the new alternator/harness you pictured.

Where you say 'this lead was not connected to anything' , that is the stator wire.

If you don't have a choke or something else to connect it to, then you don't need it with the 2G.

You will need to find the (I) wire somewhere in your harness (or find another source of 'ignition on' voltage) and connect it to the green wire of the new regulator plug.

This is what basically 'wakes up' the 3G and provides a current to get the windings creating power when the alternator spins.

I hope this helps, and please! If it doesn't make sense, let me know so I can try to clarify.

Your dark 'harness to dash' arrow (37Y in the schematic) will now connect directly to the 'hot' side of the solenoid.

ALL the other wiring you pictured goes in the trash.

Yes, the new alternator does have the "I" wire - it is the old 2g alt that does not. You say I will need to find the "I" and you have hit the nail on the head. Clearly something in this old set up is serving as the wire going over to the ignition, but what? Could it be the small yellow wire coming off the splice point from the B terminal? It has to be either that or the red wire coming off the connector that splices the "A" wire from the regulator and the orange/black coming from the B terminal.

Your second response says the the harness now goes to the batt post on the solenoid. I think that is the same thing I was saying about splicing the existing 12 ga yellow wire from that connector over to the batt post on the solenoid.

Brian