Bullnose Forums

Need some engine theory

delco1946

He's between a rock and a hard place with that engine and emission testing. I would rather try to get a hot cammed eye burning exhaust small block Chevy through.

If he opens the screws he will be richer. One thought, fresh plugs gapped a bit wide, oil change, new PCV valve and set it to factory mixture. This is what some of my friends in California do before their tests.

A wider plug gap will fire a leaner mixture reliably.

I've not had to do it, but I've read that there are additives to put in the gas that help. So I Googled "additives to put in the gas to pass emissions" and got lots of hits. And the main one appears to be CRC's Guaranteed To Pass, which is $12 at Amazon. The writeup says:

CRC Guaranteed To Pass® is compatible with gasoline engines. One bottle can be added to the fuel tank any time and will work its magic on up to 16 gallons of gasoline. The unique formula reduces carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), and nitrogen oxide (NO) emissions.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I held 5 small cigars to one end of my shop vac and held the blower side hose up to and taped to the brake booster line. The cigars burn fast but it def blow a lot of smoke out the top of the carb at the rag!

Thanks for that

I Googled on how to make one also.

Dont know if I want to take up smoking (again) so may make one.

Thanks again

Dave ----

But, I didn't inhale! :nabble_smiley_wink:

I held 5 small cigars to one end of my shop vac and held the blower side hose up to and taped to the brake booster line. The cigars burn fast but it def blow a lot of smoke out the top of the carb at the rag!

Thanks for that

I Googled on how to make one also.

Dont know if I want to take up smoking (again) so may make one.

Thanks again

Dave ----

But, I didn't inhale! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Right! That's what they all say. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Side anecdote, I tried that "Guaranteed To Pass" (GTP) product and it did work for me. It's not a permanent solution but if you're just trying to squeeze out "one more year" it might push you just under the limits long enough to pass...

Well I am glad (and confused as to how) to report that I passed emissions today without resorting to magic tricks. CO was Zero! And HC were 48 to 60 ( limit was 220) so I guess she’s running lean! Thanks for the help and suggestions. I realize that engine vacuum/power will be lower as is but I’m curious to see if my mileage improves at all now.

Well I am glad (and confused as to how) to report that I passed emissions today without resorting to magic tricks. CO was Zero! And HC were 48 to 60 ( limit was 220) so I guess she’s running lean! Thanks for the help and suggestions. I realize that engine vacuum/power will be lower as is but I’m curious to see if my mileage improves at all now.

Congrat's! Glad you didn't have to resort to snake oil. :nabble_smiley_good: