Bullnose Forums

New Member with 1981 F150 Flaireside

dionden

Hello everyone,

I am located in Toronto, Canada.

I have 1981 F150 Flaireside with a 302, the vehicle was disassembled long ago (been so long I cannot remember when!) with body parts installed on my garage wall.

A couple of years ago I started assembling the vehicle at a very slow pace, of course most of my time has been spent hunting for loose parts which were stored in bins.

This website has been a wealth of information.

1981 F150 Flaireside 302 4bbl Holley

Welcome to the forum from a F.O.G. (Flare side Owner Group).

If it helps you feel better I never got to drive my flare, got it how and took it a part even the suspension off the frame for a 4 year rebuild from ground up.

Mine has been on the road for 3 years now and get thumbs up all the time.

Last weekend I took the trash to the dump and had to talk to guys, stopped for auto parts and talked to guys again then later to the hardware store, yep stopped again in the parking lot to talk.

When you get going start a project thread with pictures so we can follow.

Dave ----

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map.

As for getting your truck back together, I'm fortunate that I have two, and one is completely together. So maybe you can find someone locally that has a similar truck?

Welcome to the forum from a F.O.G. (Flare side Owner Group).

If it helps you feel better I never got to drive my flare, got it how and took it a part even the suspension off the frame for a 4 year rebuild from ground up.

Mine has been on the road for 3 years now and get thumbs up all the time.

Last weekend I took the trash to the dump and had to talk to guys, stopped for auto parts and talked to guys again then later to the hardware store, yep stopped again in the parking lot to talk.

When you get going start a project thread with pictures so we can follow.

Dave ----

Dave, here is the dilemma I am facing. I am trying to adjust the doors for fit and gaping. As you know the fenders have to be off. So how am I to check for wind noise? I feel like a dog chasing my tail sometimes.

I have noticed your flaireside, it's sharp. Pics will come shortly.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map.

As for getting your truck back together, I'm fortunate that I have two, and one is completely together. So maybe you can find someone locally that has a similar truck?

Gary, pin me on the map.

I think when the truck is assembled, I will have a few extra parts where as I may be able to help out another enthusiast with parts.

Dave, here is the dilemma I am facing. I am trying to adjust the doors for fit and gaping. As you know the fenders have to be off. So how am I to check for wind noise? I feel like a dog chasing my tail sometimes.

I have noticed your flaireside, it's sharp. Pics will come shortly.

Not to be am azz here

I did not and I would not worry about wind noise, its an old truck not a modern car or truck that is more car then truck.

Even if the gap is good on the doors and you have wind noise what would you do to fix it?

Also the gaps where not 100% from the factory and all the tv shows that show them fusing over themare SHOW CARS and not driven.

I built mine as a driver and to be used not a show truck.

I got the gaps the best I could and far from prefect but people dont see that and if they do and say something I ask where is there car / truck? 99% of the time they dont have one!

Unless you are a seasoned body man just do the best you can and at that point it would not be a show truck.

BTW thanks on the truck

A clean truck like mine brings a lot of thumbs up and talking and been on the road 3+ years now.

Dave ----

Welcome!

Always happy to see another Flareside.

certainly, don't be careless but these are trucks, they will have a little wind noise. the drip rails will make sure of that. set the door up without gaskets first but be sure to tape edges and be careful. with the door latched measure the inside opening where the gasket mounts to be as even around as possible for gasket compression but only safter centering the door in the outside opening. 1/4-5/16 gap at the door handle seam is not unusual. although it feels wrong even saying that.