classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Timing case cover oil leak

mattmo
Hello,

I've posted about having an Oil leak in the past. I think I've found the source of the leak.
From what I can see, it's leaking form the top of the timing case cover. I might be crazy, but it almost looks like the gasket is made from a blue shop towel:

Here's a picture of the front main seal, which doesn't appear to be leaking.

I've read that it's common for these gaskets to begin leaking. Has anyone dealt with this before? How difficult would it be for me to remove the timing case cover and replace all the gaskets? While I'm doing that is there anything else I should be checking?

Thank you,
1985 F-250 4x4
128k miles
351w
Warner T18
Dana 61 Rear 3.54
Dana 44 TTB HD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Timing case cover oil leak

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's probably a Fel-Pro print-o-seal gasket.

Make sure the coolant passages through the cover aren't corroded, and the convolute weep passages aren't blocked.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Timing case cover oil leak

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mattmo
I really didn't address all your questions, so let's get to it.  

First, I would thoroughly clean the whole area.
A) you don't want ANY of that 'stuff' getting into your engine (it IS surgery after all)
B) with everything clean and dry you can more easily find the leak.

Second, I would budget a whole afternoon (maybe more since it IS Solstice)
You'll need to remove the fan shroud, radiator, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, (AC compressor and smog pump if you have them)
Then the lower pulley, and using a balancer puller, the harmonic damper, spacer and keys.
Take those 4 bolts that are slopped up with orange RTV out of the oil pan, and carefully remove the timing case itself.
DONT break one off!
Stuff a rag in the front of the oil pan and clean all the gunk and gasket from the front of the block.
Clean each part and each bolt before it goes back on.
I use Loctite PST on all bolts that go into the timing case and water jacket.
A VERY thin smear of RTV around the water passages front and rear of the case

Third, I would definitely change the timing set, FMS, check for seal scoring and consider a Speedisleeve, check the water pump bushings + impeller, and -if you have it- the fuel pump.
Replace the coolant and possibly the radiator hoses if they have gone soft.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.