Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

How about growing up at a place where the dew point is >75F most of the year where even exterior paints don't stand a chance :nabble_smiley_happy:

I asked my co-worker from China about current weather condition... She said not too bad at the moment but told me that during the early summer the walls would always be wet. I didn't believe that.... until I saw this

The dewpoint is a direct measure of RH....

Where the RH reaches 100% and water condenses out of the air like a cold glass on a summer day.

If you think it's hard ON the paint, imagine how hard it IS TO paint a wet surface!!!

And, then you're in a room where you've just rolled another gallon of water on all the surface area!

How long does it take to dry? (if ever)

The dewpoint is a direct measure of RH....

Where the RH reaches 100% and water condenses out of the air like a cold glass on a summer day.

If you think it's hard ON the paint, imagine how hard it IS TO paint a wet surface!!!

And, then you're in a room where you've just rolled another gallon of water on all the surface area!

How long does it take to dry? (if ever)

The crappy thing about dry heat is it says the electrolytes out of you fast because you just constantly evaporate sweat.

It was so bad in Charleston the other day I was outside for 15 minutes and for giggles took my body temp and I was at 103 because the humidity kept the sweat from evaporating. I guess the main point is hot is hot. I'll take a 86 degree 70% humidity Florida day with a breeze off the golf before I take a 117 degree day in Yuma AZ. Today, then maybe not tomorrow lol. Maybe I have some PTSD there lol. I never got used to the heat in Yuma or any other desert area. The worse heat is definitely at sea. You get all the humidity and 100% of the sun too. If you're on a carrier deck coated in black antiskid it's like being on a giant solar oven.

The crappy thing about dry heat is it says the electrolytes out of you fast because you just constantly evaporate sweat.

It was so bad in Charleston the other day I was outside for 15 minutes and for giggles took my body temp and I was at 103 because the humidity kept the sweat from evaporating. I guess the main point is hot is hot. I'll take a 86 degree 70% humidity Florida day with a breeze off the golf before I take a 117 degree day in Yuma AZ. Today, then maybe not tomorrow lol. Maybe I have some PTSD there lol. I never got used to the heat in Yuma or any other desert area. The worse heat is definitely at sea. You get all the humidity and 100% of the sun too. If you're on a carrier deck coated in black antiskid it's like being on a giant solar oven.

You definitely need to stay on top of electrolytes or your body can't function.

Sodium ions are probably the biggest part of your nervous system, but potassium, magnesium and all the rest are important.

I have little tubes of Drip Drop powder that I can pour into a water bottle.

Decades ago I used to send cases to my little brother when he was stationed in Iraq, and Bahrain.

The flavours help make recycled water a little more bearable too! 👍

Sweat is sweat. It doesn't matter wet or dry the electrolytes come out.

When you start cramping up or just stop sweating you know you are headed to critical core temperature.

The answer to that is NOT pleasant!

I don't disagree that "dry heat" is more dangerous. You can dehydrate in humidity too, but you KNOW you're sweating buckets so it's a lot more obvious that you need to do something about it. Plus (in my opinion) 103° with no humidity is a lot more tolerable than 103° heat index when there's high humidity, so it's easier to stay out in it longer. Couple that with it being easy to forget that you're sweating buckets (because it evaporates so you aren't dripping wet) and you can do a real number on yourself.

And again, I'm comparing about 103° dry to 103° heat index. I'm not saying that 103° heat index in Minnesota is worse than 117° in Arizona. I have no basis for that comparison.

As to being at sea, my experience there has been a lot more... genteel than being on a carrier deck. But when we were on a cruise through the Panama Canal I found "at sea" to be pretty comfortable. Yes, it was humid, but the overnight lows were 81° and the daytime highs were 83°. The air temp just couldn't deviate much from the ocean temp. And of course the breeze helped, and the AC was never very far away.

As to dew point vs relative humidity, there's a direct correlation between them (as long as you know the temperature), so either will define the conditions. But if you are only giving one number, for most people dew point is a better gauge of comfort than humidity. For instance 65% relative humidity at 90° is a dew point of 76° which, as Vivek pointed out, is downright gross. But 65% relative humidity at 70° is a dew point of 58°, which is quite comfortable, and 65% at 40° is a dew point of 29° which isn't oppressive at all! On the other hand, at 117° a dew point of 76° would give you a relative humidity of 29%. As noted, I have no experience with 117° at any humidity/dew point. But I would imagine that would not be comfortable either! Just saying 65% humidity (without the temperature) doesn't say if it will be comfortable or not, but 76° dew point is never comfortable. So I do think that, for most people, looking at the dew point is an easier number to internalize

I don't disagree that "dry heat" is more dangerous. You can dehydrate in humidity too, but you KNOW you're sweating buckets so it's a lot more obvious that you need to do something about it. Plus (in my opinion) 103° with no humidity is a lot more tolerable than 103° heat index when there's high humidity, so it's easier to stay out in it longer. Couple that with it being easy to forget that you're sweating buckets (because it evaporates so you aren't dripping wet) and you can do a real number on yourself.

And again, I'm comparing about 103° dry to 103° heat index. I'm not saying that 103° heat index in Minnesota is worse than 117° in Arizona. I have no basis for that comparison.

As to being at sea, my experience there has been a lot more... genteel than being on a carrier deck. But when we were on a cruise through the Panama Canal I found "at sea" to be pretty comfortable. Yes, it was humid, but the overnight lows were 81° and the daytime highs were 83°. The air temp just couldn't deviate much from the ocean temp. And of course the breeze helped, and the AC was never very far away.

As to dew point vs relative humidity, there's a direct correlation between them (as long as you know the temperature), so either will define the conditions. But if you are only giving one number, for most people dew point is a better gauge of comfort than humidity. For instance 65% relative humidity at 90° is a dew point of 76° which, as Vivek pointed out, is downright gross. But 65% relative humidity at 70° is a dew point of 58°, which is quite comfortable, and 65% at 40° is a dew point of 29° which isn't oppressive at all! On the other hand, at 117° a dew point of 76° would give you a relative humidity of 29%. As noted, I have no experience with 117° at any humidity/dew point. But I would imagine that would not be comfortable either! Just saying 65% humidity (without the temperature) doesn't say if it will be comfortable or not, but 76° dew point is never comfortable. So I do think that, for most people, looking at the dew point is an easier number to internalize

My brain just doesn't work the same as most. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I guess I have an inate grasp of what things (like RH @ XYZ° mean)

If the air is saturated your sweat can't evaporate, and this animal can't shed heat effectively.

Some animals don't sweat. They have to pant or wallow to stay cool.

I find the idea of "real feel" absurd.

I know darn well how uncomfortable it is, and you're not telling me the actual temperature or relative humidity so not providing any useful data.

My brain just doesn't work the same as most. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I guess I have an inate grasp of what things (like RH @ XYZ° mean)

If the air is saturated your sweat can't evaporate, and this animal can't shed heat effectively.

Some animals don't sweat. They have to pant or wallow to stay cool.

I find the idea of "real feel" absurd.

I know darn well how uncomfortable it is, and you're not telling me the actual temperature or relative humidity so not providing any useful data.

I can remember red and black flag days at Parris Island. Red flag days restricted outdoor activities, such as marching in formation, PT etc. Black flag days ALL outdoor activities were curtailed. We walked in a loose formation to the mess hall, then returned to our barracks where we would do indoor PT until the deck (floor) was slimey from persperation.

We were in the new brick 3 story barracks in 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, 1st and 2nd battalions were in the old 2 story wooden barracks which had huge exhaust fans in the "attic" over the 2nd deck. We had exhaust fans also, but the brick buildings absorbed a lot more of the South Carolina coastal heat.

It amazed me, that Hilton Head island is a resort and is literally spitting distance from PI, both are in the coastal marshes of SC.

I can remember red and black flag days at Parris Island. Red flag days restricted outdoor activities, such as marching in formation, PT etc. Black flag days ALL outdoor activities were curtailed. We walked in a loose formation to the mess hall, then returned to our barracks where we would do indoor PT until the deck (floor) was slimey from persperation.

We were in the new brick 3 story barracks in 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, 1st and 2nd battalions were in the old 2 story wooden barracks which had huge exhaust fans in the "attic" over the 2nd deck. We had exhaust fans also, but the brick buildings absorbed a lot more of the South Carolina coastal heat.

It amazed me, that Hilton Head island is a resort and is literally spitting distance from PI, both are in the coastal marshes of SC.

I have come to realize there is a lot of bullnose trucks in my neighborhood.

There is a blue one down the road that's been there for a while. There are the two in my driveway. There have been others I have seen. Then yesterday a red one looking like Lucille announces it's precence as it passes and parks a few doors down.

I'm going to have to get some bullnose decals on order and pass them out and get these folks on this forum.

I'm going to have to get some bullnose decals on order and pass them out and get these folks on this forum.

Let's get John/Machspeed on the case as he's the keeper of the decals.

I'll ping him in the thread.

Also Gary are you still enjoying that Champion 4 core? I just picked up one of their kits for the 460 in the F-350.

I'll ping him in the thread.

Also Gary are you still enjoying that Champion 4 core? I just picked up one of their kits for the 460 in the F-350.

Yes, I'm enjoying it - the 2nd Champion. The 1st one sprang a leak and they sent a replacement.