Bullnose Forum

Slave Cylinder Mounting ?

Tried to search, but searching the site for "Slave Cylinder Clip" and even the part number gives me listings for the factory roll bars and also air cleaner snorkels. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyways, I see there's a round "C" clip on the hydraulic slave cylinders, can anyone tell me what the purpose of this clip is? I found a NOS one on Ebay to the tune of $30, but apparently Land Rover Freelanders from around 2003 also use a visually similar clip, to the tune of $8. Before I go sticking Land Rover (re-purposed Ford parts, they owned LR in the early 2000's) on my truck, is this thing even necessary? Do you guys have a picture of it installed, as I cannot find any pictures on Google?

Annotation_2020-05-14_220828.jpg.0d8971320a54af03460664fbeaf01537.jpg

If nobody answers by morning, I'll check when I get to work tomorrow. Some years used the plastic clip, but I don't know if it was used with the metal clip or instead of it on some model years.

The last time I checked, there were still some dealers on D2D or partsvoice that had sone originals, and they should be much cheaper.

If nobody answers by morning, I'll check when I get to work tomorrow. Some years used the plastic clip, but I don't know if it was used with the metal clip or instead of it on some model years.

The last time I checked, there were still some dealers on D2D or partsvoice that had sone originals, and they should be much cheaper.

460's and diesels always use the metal clip in my experience.

I've only ever found the plastic retainer on a 351 HO bell.

I'm going to suggest getting the Excedy SC886 metal Slave with an actual bleeder.

Comes with the clip, obviously....

Screenshot_2020-05-15-09-46-59.png.cbbecd78ae658581f29978453481f46f.png

These clutches are hard enough to get a good pedal.

I use a irrigation syringe to pump fluid up to the clutch master (back bleed)

It works much better.

EXEDY SC886 Automobile Clutch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7PVJ3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_AuMVEb1WKBGRA

460's and diesels always use the metal clip in my experience.

I've only ever found the plastic retainer on a 351 HO bell.

I'm going to suggest getting the Excedy SC886 metal Slave with an actual bleeder.

Comes with the clip, obviously....

These clutches are hard enough to get a good pedal.

I use a irrigation syringe to pump fluid up to the clutch master (back bleed)

It works much better.

EXEDY SC886 Automobile Clutch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7PVJ3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_AuMVEb1WKBGRA

This is on our page at Driveline/Clutches & Linkage and then the Clutch Linkage and then Part Numbers tab.

But Shaun, which search function are you using? There are several and some work better than others.

7A603_Header.thumb.jpg.9d31615aad548233bae16de24b3b7e20.jpg7A603_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.c2b0e14f4b5e1940f3866cc7966290f8.jpg

This is on our page at Driveline/Clutches & Linkage and then the Clutch Linkage and then Part Numbers tab.

But Shaun, which search function are you using? There are several and some work better than others.

The part number that you have is correct. Obsolete, last published MSRP was $11.33. There are still 7 dealers on D2D showing stock on hand, so it shouldn't be hard at all to get your hands on one.

Personally, apart from being hard to bleed, I like Ford's plastic clutch hydraulics. They have a long service life, and there are no corrosion issues from moisture in the system. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and water is heavier, so the slave is the first to fail if using metal parts.

I've seen the one on shapeways, but didn't know if it was a legit site or not.

Can anybody tell me for certain whether it's necessary on a 460/T19 combo? Small blocks use a different slave and even bellhousing mount so I'm not sure I can rely on small block info.

Can anybody tell me for certain whether it's necessary on a 460/T19 combo? Small blocks use a different slave and even bellhousing mount so I'm not sure I can rely on small block info.

Big Blue's slave cylinder doesn't seem to have anything that looks like that. At least when I pulled it off I didn't see anything like that. But I don't know if it is a Ford slave or not. Does that matter?

Never had one on my 460/T-19 combo.

If you're worried about the slave coming loose put a little hex flange screw in that hole you can see in the metal clip, above.

But I wouldn't do anything to weaken that boss since they have a propensity to break off all by themselves.

Never had one on my 460/T-19 combo.

If you're worried about the slave coming loose put a little hex flange screw in that hole you can see in the metal clip, above.

But I wouldn't do anything to weaken that boss since they have a propensity to break off all by themselves.

Okay, if you guys didn't see the clip on your trucks then that tells me the image from Ford in the MPC is misleading. Thanks for the clarification. :nabble_smiley_good: