Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

On your noise, have you checked the front wheel bearings?

My 92 Bronco was making a noise at speed and I cleaned, inspected and repacked the front bearings twice.

Finally replaced the bearings and races and used some good old NLGI #2 grease and it solved the issue.

So, today I was at the German TÜV...

What should I say...they've lifted the bronco so I can wiggle all wheels...both rear wheel bearings are over their time...left one I can wiggle in both axis, right one in one...haven't had somebody written it's a pain to change them?:nabble_anim_confused:

Also the rear breaks are very weak...so this may have caused the over-stress for the front breaks down the alps...:nabble_smiley_sleep:

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, today I was at the German TÜV...

What should I say...they've lifted the bronco so I can wiggle all wheels...both rear wheel bearings are over their time...left one I can wiggle in both axis, right one in one...haven't had somebody written it's a pain to change them?:nabble_anim_confused:

Also the rear breaks are very weak...so this may have caused the over-stress for the front breaks down the alps...:nabble_smiley_sleep:

That's probably the source of the noise.

As for being a pain, they aren't terrible. The instructions are on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Rear Axles & Differential tabs.

I've not done an 8.8" but the instructions appear to show that you remove the rear cover, which can't be done on a 9", remove a keeper, and then slide the axles out. Replace the bearings and seals and slide them back in.

But on a 9" you'll pull the axles and then have to break a retainer off. The instructions probably say to drill a hole in them, but I find that using a cutoff wheel is faster. As you get part way through the retainer will pop and you can then remove it, although it may take a press to do so. And it will take a press to put the new bearings and retainer on.

As for the brakes, if they aren't working properly that could easily have been why the front ones were overloaded. And when you are replacing rear axle bearings is the perfect time to replace all of the brake components.

That's probably the source of the noise.

As for being a pain, they aren't terrible. The instructions are on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Rear Axles & Differential tabs.

I've not done an 8.8" but the instructions appear to show that you remove the rear cover, which can't be done on a 9", remove a keeper, and then slide the axles out. Replace the bearings and seals and slide them back in.

But on a 9" you'll pull the axles and then have to break a retainer off. The instructions probably say to drill a hole in them, but I find that using a cutoff wheel is faster. As you get part way through the retainer will pop and you can then remove it, although it may take a press to do so. And it will take a press to put the new bearings and retainer on.

As for the brakes, if they aren't working properly that could easily have been why the front ones were overloaded. And when you are replacing rear axle bearings is the perfect time to replace all of the brake components.

Hi Gary,

as far as I remember, you already have send me the right parts for the rear bearings. I have to check this post from you.

About the breaks there is a kit including all for the rear breaks

Link

I think it will fit for my needs...

Hi Gary,

as far as I remember, you already have send me the right parts for the rear bearings. I have to check this post from you.

About the breaks there is a kit including all for the rear breaks

Link

I think it will fit for my needs...

Rene - I don't remember sending you rear axle parts. Maybe that was someone else? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

But that kit looks like it would do the trick. Everything you need in one. I didn't check to see that it fits your Bronco, but assume you did.

Having said that, there's a chance your brake drums are ok. But you won't know that until you pull everything apart and then it would take time for them to be shipped to you, so getting the whole kit is probably the best approach. :nabble_smiley_good:

Rene - I don't remember sending you rear axle parts. Maybe that was someone else? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

But that kit looks like it would do the trick. Everything you need in one. I didn't check to see that it fits your Bronco, but assume you did.

Having said that, there's a chance your brake drums are ok. But you won't know that until you pull everything apart and then it would take time for them to be shipped to you, so getting the whole kit is probably the best approach. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hmm. I thought you have listed it as we've talked about the front breaks and the bearings. I'll take a look into the past...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Yes, the same what I think. Better to have everything in stock, including the hoses and so on. If emptying the break system it's better to change all parts at once of an axle.

Hi Gary, you are right! You only have sent the parts for the front and this Information:

I think this is what you need for the front. Will work on the rear in another post.

Do you have an overview for me what I should change (bearings, seals, other things that are useful to change...)

I have taken a look to the parts list, but I'm not 100 percent sure about what's needed and what's useful to be changed along with the bearings.

Hi Gary, you are right! You only have sent the parts for the front and this Information:

I think this is what you need for the front. Will work on the rear in another post.

Do you have an overview for me what I should change (bearings, seals, other things that are useful to change...)

I have taken a look to the parts list, but I'm not 100 percent sure about what's needed and what's useful to be changed along with the bearings.

There's not much beyond the stuff in that brake kit you listed and the bearings, seals, and retainers if it is a 9". So we need to determine which rear axle you have - an 8.8" or a 9".

The sure fire way is to look at it. The 8.8" has a removable rear cover while the 9" doesn't. And for comfort I'd decode the certification label. Then there's the tag that should be on the axle. Can you send a pic of it?

There's not much beyond the stuff in that brake kit you listed and the bearings, seals, and retainers if it is a 9". So we need to determine which rear axle you have - an 8.8" or a 9".

The sure fire way is to look at it. The 8.8" has a removable rear cover while the 9" doesn't. And for comfort I'd decode the certification label. Then there's the tag that should be on the axle. Can you send a pic of it?

Ok, I have the one with removable rear cover, so it should be the 8.8.

I can send a photo of the label this evening, if it's still there...on my jeep the most of the labels of the differentials and gearboxes weren't there or readable anymore...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Ok, I have the one with removable rear cover, so it should be the 8.8.

I can send a photo of the label this evening, if it's still there...on my jeep the most of the labels of the differentials and gearboxes weren't there or readable anymore...:nabble_smiley_unhappy:

There are two different 8.8" axles, but it really boils down to whether you have a "locking" or "non-locking" differential. The certification label and the tag will both tell. Then I can give you the parts list.

Hi Gary,

that's what I've found. Are these images useful or do I have to remove and clean the label?

20230821_190938.jpg.912e5cc0cccf1233b94ad03a40b08694.jpg

20230821_190945.thumb.jpg.12f29bf03d6b7bf53524ced13c4c68ef.jpg

20230821_191115.thumb.jpg.f964735288d2bc511608e968355ad8e8.jpg

20230821_191118.thumb.jpg.6fc50ddcacefef7fb9d799c57ba6b548.jpg