Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

The PCV is a check valve with a calibrated vacuum leak.

It can't cause oil migration or excessive crankcase pressure on it's own.

Greetings from France!

A short question about the fuel:

Here in Europe, we have three different types of gasoline:

Super Plus (98 octane, 5% ethanol)

Super E5 (95 octane, 5% ethanol)

Super E10 (95 octane, 10% ethanol)

In Germany I always take the Super E5, but in France the most gas stations only sell E10 and Super plus...as Super plus costs about 1.87 euro per liter and E10 only 1.72, my question is, if I also can use E10...

In Germany the most mechanics prefer E5 or Super plus for oldtimer, cause the higher percentage of ethanol should be bad for the gaskets...as far as I remember the most problematic gaskets are the ones in the carburetor. As I have an injection, the question is, if I can fill in also E10 or maybe a mixture of E10 and Super plus, what I've done the last times...

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from France!

A short question about the fuel:

Here in Europe, we have three different types of gasoline:

Super Plus (98 octane, 5% ethanol)

Super E5 (95 octane, 5% ethanol)

Super E10 (95 octane, 10% ethanol)

In Germany I always take the Super E5, but in France the most gas stations only sell E10 and Super plus...as Super plus costs about 1.87 euro per liter and E10 only 1.72, my question is, if I also can use E10...

In Germany the most mechanics prefer E5 or Super plus for oldtimer, cause the higher percentage of ethanol should be bad for the gaskets...as far as I remember the most problematic gaskets are the ones in the carburetor. As I have an injection, the question is, if I can fill in also E10 or maybe a mixture of E10 and Super plus, what I've done the last times...

Thanks in advance!

I run 10% ethanol when I can't find pure gas and it doesn't cause any problems. However I don't think it lasts as long in the tank as pure gas so I like to run it out and refill with pure gas as soon as I can. So you'll be fine with E10 on your trip.

What part of France? Are you to Corsica yet? I ask because the email ahead of this one was from a company on Beaune where we are going to rent a 2CV in March and spend the day putt-putting around in it. And then three days in Paris and finally 6 days going down the Rhone on a boat from Lyon to Arles.

I run 10% ethanol when I can't find pure gas and it doesn't cause any problems. However I don't think it lasts as long in the tank as pure gas so I like to run it out and refill with pure gas as soon as I can. So you'll be fine with E10 on your trip.

What part of France? Are you to Corsica yet? I ask because the email ahead of this one was from a company on Beaune where we are going to rent a 2CV in March and spend the day putt-putting around in it. And then three days in Paris and finally 6 days going down the Rhone on a boat from Lyon to Arles.

Ok, that calms me down and especially my wallet...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

We are now in south France, at Marseillan Plage. If I can do something for you from here, It would be a favor for me!

Ok, that calms me down and especially my wallet...:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

We are now in south France, at Marseillan Plage. If I can do something for you from here, It would be a favor for me!

Thanks, but we are good. Going to be east of where you are.

Thanks, but we are good. Going to be east of where you are.

I've checked the amount of oil, that the catch-can has catched after 726 miles...it is only 1.35 oz.

So I loose round about 0.002 oz per mile...is this much?

It would take about 17,000 miles to loose 1 liter of oil on this way...

I've checked the amount of oil, that the catch-can has catched after 726 miles...it is only 1.35 oz.

You and Vivek need to get together and compare notes.

If the oil is not on the ground, not getting sucked into the intake, and not being pushed into the radiator, there are very few options left

But in those 726 miles how much did the oil go down on the dipstick? I think Jim's point is that if the oil level went down more than what went into the catch can then it is going somewhere else and not just through the PCV system.

But in those 726 miles how much did the oil go down on the dipstick? I think Jim's point is that if the oil level went down more than what went into the catch can then it is going somewhere else and not just through the PCV system.

I understand, what you mean. As I'm parking relatively steep, it's not so easy, currently. I have to check it, when we are parking on a supermarket parking lot.

I also have checked the milage again. I need 18 liter on 100km, started with a full tank, 150kg baggage, two adults and two kids with kid seats. So all together, we have 435kg including the gas as load.

So it's 13 mpg with 960lbs total load. I've measured this with an average of 70 mph on the highway.

You and Vivek need to get together and compare notes.

If the oil is not on the ground, not getting sucked into the intake, and not being pushed into the radiator, there are very few options left

Jim, I have grudgingly accepted the fact that my truck burns oil. In fact both my 460 trucks do. I think Big Blue burns probably a quart every 1500-2000 miles... and the Bronco hopefully I can bring it to 1000 miles/quart with an oil treatment (basically high mileage oil)...

The catch can in my opinion, same as Rene's observation is just not enough to account for the oil burn. It will definitely help keep that oil off the back of the intake valves and spark plugs... so I think just about any vehicle can benefit from a PCV catch can.....

I found about 4ml in my catch can after 80 miles or so... so that just not enough to even burn a quart every 10000 miles (Actually that is a quart every 18920 miles burning that way)...

So my plans is to keep driving this way. Top off oil as needed. Change spark plugs. Use an oil treatment like Rislone to keep rings free. Still cheap thankfully!