PMGR starter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PMGR starter

woodrowm
Good morning - I have a 1984 Flare Side with 302 (one owner me) I just recently change it over to a AOD automatic. I want to change it over to the PMGR style starter, so my question is what model and year and who to order from.

Thanks
Woodroe
Woodroe 1984 Flare Side 302, replaced the 3 speed overdrive with an AOD. It has headers, high rise manifold with 4 barrel carb.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: PMGR starter

85lebaront2
Administrator
First thing we would ask is that you go to the new members area and introduce yourself and where you are from and then I or someone else familiar with the PGMR starters will be very happy to help you.

A bit of information on your truck in your signature will always provide that in the future.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
In reply to this post by woodrowm
I did this 10 years ago with my truck. Just order a PMGR starter for a 92-96 F series with your engine and transmission. You'll need to take the large starter cable and put it on the battery side of the fender mounted starter solenoid, so the new starter solenoid has battery power at all times, and on the starter side of the fender mounted solenoid where the large wire originally was connected, you'll need to run a 14? AWG or larger wire down to the starter solenoid 12 volt energize/activate terminal. That's all there is to the swap.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ford trucks of this era had a Y shaped starter cable with the trigger wire built into it.

That would pretty much be the grail.
I think Rick, or someone, has this setup.
It's been a while, but I remember the photos.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

woodrowm
In reply to this post by FordFETruck
Good morning - Hey thanks for the info. I just had shoulder surgery so it's going to be a while before I can
get to this .

Thanks,
Woodroe
Woodroe 1984 Flare Side 302, replaced the 3 speed overdrive with an AOD. It has headers, high rise manifold with 4 barrel carb.  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim you might be thinking of Darth.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Perhaps I am Bill.  

Do you happen to have an engineering number off that cable?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.